Tory ads spur NDP to attack Harper

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIH-dknpjVQ

"What's Stephen Harper's solution?"

Attack ads, it would seem, judging by a pair of new online offerings released Tuesday by the federal New Democrats.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then Conservatives should take heart that the NDP is adopting their playbook.

New NDP ads in English and French, posted on the party website, go after Prime Minister Stephen Harper's economic record, complete with ominous drumbeats and unflattering, black-and-white photos - stock material for negative political ads everywhere.

The NDP ad accuses Harper of presiding over the worst recession "in a generation."

"What's Stephen Harper's solution?" intones the female voice. "Attack the most vulnerable Canadians when they are most in need."

As examples, the ad points to changes to employment insurance and the pension system.

The official Opposition hit back after the Conservatives finally unleashed a summer ad campaign late last month targeting NDP Leader Tom Mulcair with accusations of reckless economic policies.

Political attack ads were once rare in Canada between elections, but the Harper Conservatives have used them extensively to help define their adversaries.

Liberals Stephane Dion, Michael Ignatieff and Bob Rae all received the Tory treatment, so many pundits were surprised when a Conservative barrage did not materialize in March, immediately after New Democrats chose Mulcair as leader.

But the Tory anti-Mulcair ads finally started airing in late June, and New Democrats are responding.

The ads were e-mailed to party supporters Tuesday and posted on the NDP website, but it is not clear whether the party will actually pay to broadcast them anywhere.

"We are not prepared to share the specifics of our advertising strategy; however, our objective is to reach out to a maximum (number) of Canadians," NDP spokeswoman Chantal Vallerand said in an e-mail.

"We want to hear from you. Send comments on this story to
letters@nanaimodailynews.com. Letters must include daytime phone number and hometown.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I guess the NDP is no better than the gtories. If you have nothing good to say about yourself, then tear the opponent down to your level.

Birds of a feather I guess.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I guess the NDP is no better than the gtories. If you have nothing good to say about yourself, then tear the opponent down to your level.

Birds of a feather I guess.
It's politics; always has been this way.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It's politics; always has been this way.

perhaps. But you'd think voters would turn away from those who engage in this kind of politicking. I guess it says something about our voters then doesn't it: don't vote for the best candidate, but rather vote strategicaly against the worst party and then wonder why the second-worse always gets in.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
perhaps. But you'd think voters would turn away from those who engage in this kind of politicking. I guess it says something about our voters then doesn't it: don't vote for the best candidate, but rather vote strategicaly against the worst party and then wonder why the second-worse always gets in.

Turn away to whom?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I really don't like this kind of advertising and I agree that it is pretty shameful.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Perhaps the biggest problem with attack ads is that they don't change anyone's mind but rather just entrench ideological prejudices on either side, which is not healthy for democracy.

What I would love to see would be an educational ad. For instance, immagine an NDP ad aimed at educating the general public about the limited availability of our resoruces, or a Conservative ad aimed at educating us about the unlimited availability. Then the media and the scientific community would actually have something substantial to look at to determine who is actually right.

Or if the NDP put out an educaiton ad educating the public about the benefits of official bilingualism, and maybe a conservative ad proposinig a better alternative along with its advantages. Again, it woudl give the media something more substantial to discuss.

You could also have ads educating the public about the benefits of free trade or protectionism, raising taxes or reducing taxes, etc.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
We won't know what these ads can do until the next set of polls come out. As far as the CPC is concerned, it doesn't appear that their attack ad really made much of a difference.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Ads like this don't impress me favorably. The best part about them is when they backfire.

Besides, I always thought ads were a waste of money. You want to boost your ratings in the public view, improve your policies and actions, don't spew BS over the air.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm not sure which is worse. People who believe the bull**** in any type of advertisement or those who write them.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
With the real people economy the way it is, wouldn't (at least) the illusion of a government pulling together help to inspire the "great unwashed"?

Who doesn't know where same ol' same ol' has taken us.....

...the Ride

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
With the real people economy the way it is, wouldn't (at least) the illusion of a government pulling together help to inspire the "great unwashed"?
You'd think but too many view politicals parties the same way they do their favourite sports team.

Once a year they should all get together and have an all-stars series.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Regarding this thread specifically, it can be merged with the other one which was posted earlier.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
We won't know what these ads can do until the next set of polls come out. As far as the CPC is concerned, it doesn't appear that their attack ad really made much of a difference.

Even if the NDP wins based on attack ads, it's a shallow victory at best since it's not based on good ideas but merely blitzy marketing like some toothpaste commercial.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Even if the NDP wins based on attack ads, it's a shallow victory at best since it's not based on good ideas but merely blitzy marketing like some toothpaste commercial.

So you're saying that the CPC platform is recommended by 3 out of 4 dentists?