Jason Kenney - The change behnid Immigration Reform

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Jason Kenney - The change behnid Immigration Reform

One change has yet to happen- Removing MP's interference in the appeals process - Many spend up to 50 % of their time on these cases. Waiting for Jason to make that change as well.

Call it what you will but Canadians including immigrants to Canada have been calling for changes to the Immigration Policies-The appeals that are endless- He is doing what many Canadians want.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/06/20/pol-new-law-deport-foreigners-crimes.html

The bill would change admissibility rules for allowing people to visit Canada or to become Canadian.

A spokesman for Kenney said there are 2,747 people with convictions appealing to the Immigration Appeal Division to be able to stay in Canada.

The proposed law would take away humanitarian and compassionate grounds as factors in appealing a decision that someone is inadmissible. The changes would mean the public safety minister would be able to consider only national security and public safety in deciding whether someone can become Canadian.

Other proposed changes under the act include:

A rule that would deny an appeal to those with foreign convictions that carry a maximum sentence of 10 years in Canada.
A provision to give the immigration minister the power to deny someone temporary resident status for up to three years on the basis of public policy considerations.
A rule that would deny entry to Canada to those with a family member inadmissible for security and human rights reasons or organized crime connections, even if that family member isn't travelling with them.
A five-year inadmissibility period for lying on immigration applications.
Mandatory CSIS interviews if requested.
Reporting conditions for those under deportation orders.
Automatic inadmissibility for non-Canadians and permanent residents for acts of espionage or acts against Canada's interests.
Kenney suggested one of the reasons for the changes is that judges sometimes sentence people to two years less a day to allow them to keep their immigration appeals. The current law allows an appeal for those sentenced to less than two years.

"If you commit a serious crime in Canada, we are going to send you packing as soon as you get out," Kenney said.

Immigration consultants hit with dozens of charges as CBSA fraud crackdown continues | News | National Post

Windsor immigration lawyer Sandra Zaher charged with coaching refugees to make fake claims | News | National Post

Immigration fraud: Canada 2000 Immigration and Business Services CEO, employees charged | News | National Post

Tories

Jason Kenney cracks down on foreign criminals who fight deportation using Canada's appeals process | News | National Post

Kenney launches crackdown on foreign criminals who abuse appeals process to delay deportation

New legislation introduced today by Immigration Minister Jason Kenney will crack down on foreign criminals who delay deportation to their home countries by utilizing Canada’s lengthy appeals system, and make it easier for the government to deport them.

The new laws will limit the access foreign criminals will have to the Immigration and Refugee Board’s Appeal division, thereby reducing the time they can remain in Canada by up to 14 months.

This change, Mr. Kenney said, reduces the likelihood the criminals will re-offend on Canadian soil.

“If a foreign citizen is sentenced to six months or greater, they’re subject to removal,” said Mr. Kenney at a news conference.

“But under the current system, they still have access to the immigration appeal division as long as their sentence is less than two years, and many courts have sentenced foreign criminals to two years less a day explicitly in order for allow them to have access to these multiple appeals and effectively to delay their deportation from Canada.”
Mr. Kenney cited the “notorious” case of Clinton Gayle, a Jamaican man who was convicted of multiple drug offences and sentenced to two years less a day in jail.

“Between 1990 and 1996, the government tried to deport Mr. Gayle on multiple occasions. This process was made difficult because of the relatively short criminal sentences that he received,” he said. “In 1996, while that process was still ongoing, Clinton Gayle shot and killed Toronto police officer Todd Baylis.”

Under the new rules, foreign citizens involved in organized crime or security, human or international rights violations, will no longer be permitted to attempt to put off their removal using the humanitarian and compassionate consideration normally available to some foreigners in Canada.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Some of those are quite punitive to people who may have been falsely convicted of a crime in another country.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think the backlog of appeals is ridiculously long and frankly we don't need idiotic criminals from other nations, we have enough homegrown ones.

Of the list, nothing really seems outrageous although I do kind of wonder about not allowing appeals on humanitarian grounds. If we are dealing with nations with well known corrupt regimes or court systems, would the criminal convictions be weighted with that in mind for any prospective immigrant?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How many cases would you estimate of the 10 of thousands that emigrate to Canada?
Don't know. But I've met a few over the years that were convicted of crimes, that you can find in the CCoC, simply because they were on the other side, or a dissident.

They won on appeal.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Don't know. But I've met a few over the years that were convicted of crimes, that you can find in the CCoC, simply because they were on the other side, or a dissident.

They won on appeal.

Would they meet the 10 year criteria, under our CC for exclusion

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Would they meet the 10 year criteria, under our CC for exclusion
Nope. A murder conviction. Prison break. Unlawful flight.

He gathered his wife and 2 month old son, and escaped El Salvador 25 years ago. Worked his way, doing odd jobs, all the way to Canada and claimed refugee status. Got denied, won on an appeal, with the help of a community group.

He is one of the reasons I believe in humanitarian immigration policies.

He thanked me when I first met him, he didn't even know me. He thanked me as a Canadian that made it possible for him to give his family and him, a life. Now in his 50's, suffering from Parkinson's, he and his family would have been slaughtered in El Salvador.

The man embodies all that it is to be Canadian, IMHO.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Nope. A murder conviction. Prison break. Unlawful flight.

He gathered his wife and 2 month old son, and escaped El Salvador 25 years ago. Worked his way, doing odd jobs, all the way to Canada and claimed refugee status. Got denied, won on an appeal, with the help of a community group.

He is one of the reasons I believe in humanitarian immigration policies.

He thanked me when I first met him, he didn't even know me. He thanked me as a Canadian that made it possible for him to give his family and him, a life. Now in his 50's, suffering from Parkinson's, he and his family would have been slaughtered in El Salvador.

The man embodies all that it is to be Canadian, IMHO.

Under the present system there are a number of avenues for appeal- As we are both aware these can go on for 10 even 20 years- I would hope that there is some leeway on this provision- And the the Cons do not shut down the Committee process-
Also the Minister can grant waivers-

The point you made was excellent- There should be a second step - not automatic denial- Oh yes- That is from your lapdog-

Also note that the focus appears to be on Org Crime- and those that Judges sentence to 2 years less a day.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
A rule that would deny entry to Canada to those with a family member inadmissible for security and human rights reasons or organized crime connections, even if that family member isn't travelling with them.

So, if Joe and his immediate family are trying to escape from his drug lord uncle so he can start a new law abiding life in Canada, he's shyte outa luck, cause herr kenny says "sins of the father".

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

So, if Joe and his immediate family are trying to escape from his drug lord uncle so he can start a new law abiding life in Canada, he's shyte outa luck, cause herr kenny says "sins of the father".

Consider the number of human right criminals that left various countries and use their families as a reason to stay- What was that fellas name from Libya that has a home in Montreal.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
typical conservative attitude. Use a machete when pruning shears would be more applicable.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
typical conservative attitude. Use a machete when pruning shears would be more applicable.

If Canada went to the Stans- Asia china- some SA countries- Africa - looking for legitimate refugees how many would apply

An easy 100 million.

Nixon on his first visit to China brought up Human Rights with Mao Tse Tung - Mao offered Nixon 1 million- Topic closed.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If Canada went to the Stans- Asia china- some SA countries- Africa - looking for legitimate refugees how many would apply

An easy 100 million.

Nixon on his first visit to China brought up Human Rights with Mao Tse Tung - Mao offered Nixon 1 million- Topic closed.

What the hell does that have to do with what I have pointed out? You really do enjoy moving the goal posts don't you. Maybe we should start calling YOU eao.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What the hell does that have to do with what I have pointed out? You really do enjoy moving the goal posts don't you. Maybe we should start calling YOU eao.

Being an ass-hole , not rude is in your genetic work up- People do and always will slip thru the crack- Now Fuk off.

Not moving post puke Boy- Stating clearly what you cannot understand. Your problem- Not mine-

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Being an ass-hole , not rude is in your genetic work up- People do and always will slip thru the crack- Now Fuk off.

Not moving post puke Boy- Stating clearly what you cannot understand. Your problem- Not mine-

maybe clear in your limited and demented mind, but still had nothing to do with what I posted.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
maybe clear in your limited and demented mind, but still had nothing to do with what I posted.
OK- We both realize that the Cons are running running roughshod over Parliament- But the changes do have some positive changes.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
OK- We both realize that the Cons are running running roughshod over Parliament- But the changes do have some positive changes.

The changes have changes? What changes have they made to the original changes? Do you really know what you are talking about or is the Alzheimers kicking in?