Feds concoct an Oilsands counterterrorism unit

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Ottawa launches Alberta counterterrorism unit

After labelling certain environmental and first nations groups as extremists and radicals, Canada’s federal government, along with the country’s top law enforcement and spy agencies, have set up a counterterrorism unit in Alberta in order to protect the province’s natural resources and infrastructure.

The RCMP, which will lead the effort, would not say whether the team was assembled in response to specific threats, nor did it pinpoint which pieces of infrastructure it will focus on. However, Alberta hosts the vast majority of Canada’s oil assets, which have attracted international criticism and suffered security breaches. The province also has an extensive pipeline network, as well as upgraders and refineries, which protesters also target. Pipelines, for example, have been bombed in British Columbia.

The Tories have long stressed the importance of Alberta’s oil and gas to the entire Canadian economy, and are now taking measures to hinder critics’ ability to speak at regulatory hearings and shore up financial support. By establishing a counter-terrorism team in Alberta, the government is further emphasizing the importance it places on the western province and the threats it believes the energy industry faces.

Indeed, the federal government recently labelled some critics “radicals,” while the RCMP and the Canadian Security Intelligence Service believe protest groups like Greenpeace and other dissenters have the capability to attack critical infrastructure in Canada. Greenpeace insists it is committed to non-violent protest.

The new counterterrorism unit, with offices in Edmonton and Calgary, will be Canada’s fifth so-called Integrated National Security Enforcement Team.

“Our government has made responsible, effective investments to fight terrorism and protect Canadians, including the creation of INSETs in major Canadian cities that are responsible for criminal investigations involving terrorist activities,” Vic Toews, Canada’s Public Safety Minister, said in a statement as the RCMP announced the new effort Wednesday.

Sergeant Greg Cox, a media relations officer for the RCMP in Ottawa, said there is “no indication that the threat level is higher” in Alberta. “However, as in any part of the country, we need to remain vigilant. The establishment of an INSET in Alberta ensures that we have the capacity to address these threats if they arise.”

INSETs were established following the 9/11 terrorist attacks in the United States. Alberta’s INSET was “prompted by factors such as a growing population, a strong economy supported by the province’s natural resources and the need to protect critical infrastructure,” the RCMP said in its statement.
Public Safety Canada on its website says: “Critical infrastructure refers to processes, systems, facilities, technologies, networks, assets and services essential to the health, safety, security or economic well-being of Canadians and the effective functioning of government ... Disruptions of critical infrastructure could result in catastrophic loss of life, adverse economic effects and significant harm to public confidence.”

Alberta hosts 400,000 kilometres of pipeline; more than 176,000 operating oil and gas wells; eight oil sands mines; five upgraders; and 250 in-situ oil extraction facilities, according to the Energy Resources Conservation Board. The ERCB does not tally refineries.

This type of infrastructure is likely what the government had in mind when it established the new INSET, one expert said.

“It is very much in line with the trend of committing more and more national security and counter-terrorism resources without a corresponding basis in any kind of particular threats,” Jeffrey Monaghan, a researcher with the Surveillance Studies Centre at Queen’s University, said. “I think this has to do with property crimes rather than threats to civilians. ... It really has to do with economic infrastructure.”

The energy industry’s critics have moved beyond banners and petitions. Protesters in 2009, for example, caused disruptions at Royal Dutch Shell PLC’s upgrader project in Alberta, as well as halting activity at a Suncor Energy Inc. mine after intruding on the properties. Protesters have also bombed and threatened pipelines in Western Canada.

Alberta’s new counterterrorism unit will be composed of specially trained members of the RCMP, Edmonton Police Services, Calgary Police Services, Canada Border Services Agency and CSIS, the Mounties said in a statement Wednesday. INSETs are already established in Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal.

Ottawa launches Alberta counterterrorism unit - The Globe and Mail

Last edited:

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Isn't that odd talking about protecting the environment when before they didn't care about it,and i suspect this new interest in it,and the "gestapo service" they want is another way to shut peoples mouth off.

"Who's that behind the curtain?"

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Isn't that odd talking about protecting the environment when before they didn't care about it,and i suspect this new interest in it,and the "gestapo service" they want is another way to shut peoples mouth off.

"Who's that behind the curtain?"

It's not really that odd.

In the past, we didn't have to worry about greenpeace illegally trespassing on property and fooling around with the infrastructure at places like Suncor like they have in the recent past.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada

In the past, we didn't have to worry about greenpeace illegally trespassing on property and fooling around with the infrastructure at places like Suncor like they have in the recent past.

I guess they should thank greenpeace a little,without them they would not know where the security weakness are. ;)

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

When I was at Suncor they had guys in sheds upstream and downstream from the plant watching the river because thats how greenpeace was getting on the property.Theres so many vehicles that go through their gate every day that getting in is simple,just get on any bus in town and away you go.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I guess they should thank greenpeace a little,without them they would not know where the security weakness are. ;)

Greenpeace and local Albertans.

Alberta couple devastated by oil spill on their property

An Alberta couple is devastated and in shock after their property was soaked with oil from a pipeline spill this week that is believed to have poured up to 475,000 litres of crude into a Red Deer River tributary. Gord and Bonnie Johnston have deserted their 23-hectare rural property and are now living on credit cards and wondering what to do next.

"There's not words to describe it and I don't understand how this can happen with today's technology," a visibly shaken Gord Johnston told CTV's Question Period Sunday.

"There are oil pools on the water, there's a sheen and it's all the through the grasses, the brush and the water forced it up and through everything," he said from his property in Sundre, about 100 kilometres southwest of Red Deer.

"How do you deal with that? How do you clean that up? You can't."

Plains Midstream Canada said between 1,000 and 3,000 litres of oil spilled and then leaked into Jackson Creek, which flows into the Red Deer River, near Sundre.

The company said Sunday afternoon the swollen river carried the oil into the Gleniffer Reservoir, where it has been contained at the western edge by two booms.

Gleniffer Lake is the source for the City of Red Deer's water supply and is also a popular spot for boating and fishing. However, officials with Alberta Environment have warned residents to stay clear of the water.

Stephen Bart, vice president of crude oil operations with Plains Midstream, said the booms have contained the oil to the western tip of the reservoir.

"Our goal, obviously, is to preserve the water quality and drinking water quality and minimize the impact to wildlife, and get the spill cleaned up and the water and land restored as quickly as possible," Bart told reporters on Sunday.

Leslie Chivers, spokesperson for the City of Red Deer, said no oil has been detected in the city's water supply. Chivers told CTV News Channel that the city can shut off its intake from the Red Deer River and draw treated water from a municipal reservoir should the need arise.

Bart said the spill could have been worse had oil been flowing through the pipeline at the time of the leak.

He also said officials are on the lookout for wildlife affected by the spill. They are carrying noise devices to scare birds away from afflicted areas.

Despite the company's optimistic tone, the Johnstons believe their health will be adversely affected if they return to live on the land they once called home.

"I believe my property is done, like this stuff is full of all kinds of toxins and carcinogens, how can my kids, my grandkids . . . how can we come back to this and live here and swim, fish and boat," Gord Johnston said.

"Where are we going to be in five years? Are we even going to be alive if we stay? I highly don't think so," he said as oil-coated rushes behind him wavered in a breeze, but looked more like a row of automobile dipsticks.

He doesn't know much about maintenance on the pipeline, but Johnston said he's positive it had a similar problem a few years ago.

"We flew directly to the spot we figured it was and we could see it bubbling out of the Red Deer River," he said.

Bonnie Johnston said she's devastated by the spill and said it's likely she and her husband are still in shock.

"I don't think we've come to truly understand what this is going to do to us," she said.

Gord Johnston said the company promised security for his property the night of the spill after they decided to leave, but that help never arrived.

"As you can see around there is no security and there's been a barrage of people, which is good," he said.

"I'm glad people do come down to see this because I want them to see it and I want everybody to see that you shouldn't have to go through this," Gord Johnston said.

"This is my world here. I didn't break it, they broke it."

Alberta Premier Alison Redford assured Albertans on Saturday that there will be a full investigation into the leak, and said if there are safety shortfalls the government will make changes. She insisted that spills are not the norm.

But for the Johnstons, that assurance comes too late.

"They come into my shop, my place, my world, my ecosystem and they destroyed it and ruined it," he said.

"They gotta do something."

CTV Edmonton's Sean Amato reported Sunday that company officials would not publicly answer questions about compensation.

Alberta couple devastated by oil spill on their property | CTV Ottawa | CTV News

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
When I was at Suncor they had guys in sheds upstream and downstream from the plant watching the river because thats how greenpeace was getting on the property.Theres so many vehicles that go through their gate every day that getting in is simple,just get on any bus in town and away you go.

It's really no different than the public's ability to access a shopping mall, but clearly for those groups that are dedicated to cause harm to the operations, simple steps must exist that can mitigate the problem.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I,ve been watching this,that pipes over 40 years old. Last 2 weeks in sask we have been digging up sections of pipe and cutting a small section out of it so they can test it.They cant be testing this pipe as they might have caught it in time.Also back then there was a lot of bad pipeliners and inspectors,corners were cut and a single scratch on a pipe when installed will allmost allways lead to a failure down the road.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Pipes fail everyday across all sectors of usage. Pipe infrastructure related to sewers and waste in cities and landfill containment facilities fail far more often than O&G lines, yet we never hear anything on this despite the potential for their toxic slurries to seep into the water table.

This OP is yet another sensationalist representation of one select incident to further an agenda

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Pipes fail everyday across all sectors of usage. Pipe infrastructure related to sewers and waste in cities and landfill containment facilities fail far more often than O&G lines, yet we never hear anything on this despite the potential for their toxic slurries to seep into the water table.

This OP is yet another sensationalist representation of one select incident to further an agenda
Ya,for sure,ive done lots of repairs on water and sewer,lots of the pipe was not installed the correct way either but thats usually a sign of someone taking a bit of a bribe in exchange to look the other way.I see this lots in water and sewer infrastructure but never in Oil and gas.I did a repair last year on 3 brand new sewer line in new subdivisions,some one cheated or got something and it wasent done to code,this is all only 6 months old and in new subdivisions.When I posted this on facebook asking for accountability from our town council I was told to not rock the boat.One engineer lost his job for that snafu.