Wildrose may be falling for Redford's bait

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Wildrose may be falling for Redford's bait

The PCs are already framing their new Wildrose opponents as small-time, Alberta types from some backwater hicksville that no longer exists except in their minds.

And Danielle Smith's party, while appearing to relish the fight, might be falling into the trap.

Smith believes, for instance, that Redford should stay home and confront federal NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair - that "bully" - rather than go to a big U.S. conference in Virginia.

Redford snapped that the value of the Bilderberg meeting is obvious to those "who have a sophisticated approach to world affairs." In her view, that's not Smith.

She'd already dismissed the charge about Mulcair, noting he will only be here for a few hours and she's unlikely to change his mind about the oilsands anyway.

And really, should the premier alter her schedule to accommodate a Quebec-based leader who's clearly trying to score points off the province?

No, she shouldn't. That could be as damaging as ex-premier Ed Stelmach's unwise star swoon over movie director James Cameron.

Too much courting would convey credibility Mulcair hasn't earned. His view of the oilsands, if it changes at all, will surely evolve with the polls rather than provincial blandishments.

Redford reinforced her big Alberta approach Wednesday by taking on Lee Richardson, who quit his job as Conservative Calgary Centre MP, to become her principal secretary, a post she created for him.

Richardson leaves Ottawa in a blaze of affectionate compliments from Prime Minister Stephen Harper and scores of MPs from all parties.

He's a born conciliator with a lifetime of experience on the provincial and federal scenes. A proud progressive, Richardson is urbane and well connected both in Ottawa and internationally.

He's worked with every Conservative prime minister since John Diefenbaker, and served as Lougheed's southern Alberta boss when Redford was still in kneepants.

He is, in short, exactly the person she needs to round out a core group that includes talented newbies like Farouk Atdatia, her chief of staff, and Hunter Wight as director of McDougall Centre.

The new hands can use Richardson's background and experience - "a few grey hairs," as he says. Somebody has to know where the booby traps and opportunities lurk. Richardson is aware of every one.

After he failed to win the Speaker's post in Ottawa, Richardson says, "I think I was looking for a change. This is good. I'm excited to be having an active role here, just the way I did with Peter."

Redford is very much like Lougheed, he says. "I find her style not dissimilar. She is extremely bright. She would like me to help her with liaison with the constituencies she'll have to deal with."

With her staffing lined up - including Deputy Premier Thomas Luksazuk as watchdog when she's away - Redford is ready for an intense travel schedule that could be controversial, and certainly will not please Wildrose.

"My job is to travel the country, travel the world, and talk about our issues," the premier said Wednesday. "That's what I'll do."

Smith and Wildrose prefer to defend and represent Alberta from the inside out. It's an attitude the PCs feel is outmoded and even risky when the province needs international friends.

On the larger strategic level, the PCs are hoping to trap Wildrosers in the rural south by painting them as out of sync with the big cites.

To judge by Smith's avid snapping at the bait, it might be working already.