Western provinces decide to promote sustainable development

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Western provinces come together in single, united voice

Premier Brad Wall says he and his western counterparts have come together "as one voice" to advance issues important to Western Canada and the territories.

"There was a pretty dynamic agenda - that I think most jurisdictions in the world would want to have - before us today," Wall said Tuesday during a teleconference call from Edmonton that also included Alberta Premier Alison Redford, Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger and B.C. Jobs Minister Pat Bell.

Wall added the nature of the agenda items was "related to the fact that this part of the world is growing and people are finding opportunities.

"We need to be stewards of that growth and continually remove barriers to growth."

At the top of a list of topics released in a lengthy communique after the meeting Tuesday was progress on Redford's plan for a Canadian Energy Strategy - a "strategic, forward-thinking plan for sustainable energy management and development that will advance the common goal of ensuring that Canada is a recognized leader in sustainable and secure energy production, supply and transportation including east-west and northern electricity transmission."

The communique indicates all western premiers support the idea, though Wall clarified in the call that "if all that is achieved with a Canadian Energy Strategy, call it what you will ... is a better understanding by all Canadians of the huge energy potential of this country, ... it would be worthwhile in its pursuit."

Wall joined the other premiers in highlighting concerns regarding environmental assessments, noting premiers welcome federal government progress on streamlining related processes, but are closely watching the changes being made.

"The environmental assessment piece is very important," Wall said, noting there have been "rumours of trouble" with a new "set of barriers to growth" replacing old ones. He added he raised the issue with Prime Minister Stephen Harper in Regina last week.

Collectively, the premiers said they "urge the federal government to immediately engage provinces and territories in a discussion about the implementation of the proposed Canadian Environmental Assessment Act," the communique says.

Also among the topics discussed during the premiers meeting were provincial and territorial concerns around infrastructure; devolution of control over lands, waters and resources; labour market needs; employment insurance reform; skills development; immigration; and, social innovation.

Redford noted during the call that federal NDP Leader

Thomas Mulcair's recent controversial remarks - about the effects of oilsands development on the manufacturing sector - were not on the agenda and were only briefly discussed.

Selinger, an NDP premier, said, "We didn't discuss it in any significant way. We focused on our agenda and our agenda is a positive one. We want to make sure we're developing sustainable energy across Western Canada ... we want all sectors to do well. We're not interested in discussions that take us down a path of division."

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Are they really concerned about sustainable development as in protecting our resources, or sustainable as in politically sustainable with no risk of international boycotts or sanctions such as tarrifs etc. from importing countries owing to lack of environmental regulation.

It could be interpreted eitehr way.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Are they really concerned about sustainable development as in protecting our resources, or sustainable as in politically sustainable with no risk of international boycotts or sanctions such as tarrifs etc. from importing countries owing to lack of environmental regulation.

It is relating to sustainable development of resources (energy, specifically).

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I think they are just trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the sheeple with nice sounding words that mean nothing. It will be rape and pillage at full speed ahead and environmental concerns be damned. They are just cow towing to their corporate masters and corporations, not being human, don't give a phuk if we all die in their puke.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I think they are just trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the sheeple with nice sounding words that mean nothing. It will be rape and pillage at full speed ahead and environmental concerns be damned. They are just cow towing to their corporate masters and corporations, not being human, don't give a phuk if we all die in their puke.

Funny how sustainable development is important to them now.. I wonder why that meme has gotten so much attention recently...

Hmmm....

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
If going from 1.6milion bb per yearsl to 3.7million bbl per year in the next 13 years is your idea of reasonable then they are doing a great job of sustaining high output.

I don't know - I'm not an expert at what is sustainable. Thankfully, now that this is something the country is talking about, we will have a better understanding of exactly what that means so that we can have a balanced economy.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't know - I'm not an expert at what is sustainable. Thankfully, now that this is something the country is talking about, we will have a better understanding of exactly what that means so that we can have a balanced economy.
Read between the lines and you won't be so happy.

Compare notes between Redford and Wall.

Premier gets consensus on new energy strategy

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Thats bull,theres so many environmental inspectors on any job its not funny,these guys have lots of power and theres lots of them,farmers get away with stuff you would never even think of doing in the energy industry or you would be in court for a very very long time.

I dont think he gets it yet.*wink*

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Why wouldn't I be happy that Western provinces are trying to agree on what constitutes sustainable development?

Good for them and good for Canada.

This will be a nation-wide discussion that could bring us all together if we reach a consensus on policy.

Brad Wall
Alison Redford
The guy from Manitoba
Mulcair
Harper
Rae
McGuinty

Everyone...

Let's all get in on the discussion.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
First of all, what is sustainable developement? Growing at the same pace?

My opinion - and let's keep this clear that it's malleable as new information comes out - is that we grow at a reasonable pace that ensures an effective balance of economic prosperity and environmental stewardship.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Considering that AB and SK provincial regs are already tightest in the world, (Fed ones were a lightweight in comparassion) what's next? Tighten more?