Seniors 17x more likely to be in poverty than 20 years ago

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Seniors the next protest group?

Seniors are under siege. Many have played by the rules and worked hard, but they are under pressure on a number of fronts: bills are going up, pensions are at risk and there is a lot of uncertainty.

The government has said it will gradually raise the age of eligibility for Old Age Security to 67 from 65, starting in 2023. While it maintains Canadians are choosing to work past age 65 anyway, the numbers show that for many seniors, it is not a choice.

Seniors are a group to watch.

Voter turnout for seniors is high — about 80 per cent. The Conservative coalition majority is really founded on seniors who are concerned about economic and fiscal issues and who want stability, so when the government engages on issues that can affect their day-to-day lives it can mean trouble for a political party.

What to watch for next is the potential for an "accumulative effect" — are there any other issues that would show the Conservatives are potentially insensitive to seniors? The OAS issue has put seniors on notice to scrutinize the government more closely.

This week's number reveals that financial security for seniors is a growing issue that all of the parties are going to have to deal with, and it reveals a "silent angry mob" that may respresent the next flashpoint for protest.

Seniors are 17 times more likely to live in poverty now than 20 years ago.
The source: Current State of Canadian Family Finances, March 2012, Vanier Institute of the Family

Seniors the next protest group? - Politics - CBC News

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You can bet that the first wave of boomers that had everything handed to them on a silver platter will be the ones to whine the most.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You can bet that the first wave of boomers that had everything handed to them on a silver platter will be the ones to whine the most.

They were doing that 40 years ago. Lasqueti Island had a bumper crop of them. :lol:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
And this from the "Me" generation. Our parents went through the Great Depression. We were not handed anything on a silver platter. We worked hard most of our lives to get what we had and you punks are the ones who had life handed to you. We worked hard for our pensions and now you call us parasites. If anybody is whining it is your generation who think life owes them.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The point is not who owes what or why.

There is a serious problem facing seniors and we need to focus on solutions. Cutting OAS and EI are not good solutions, in fact that will cause more problems.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:canada:I'm taking to the streets, soon as I find my walker.

My rock throwing arm's not what it used to be. I'll just chuck empty Geritol bottles.

Ah, t'hell with it. I'll just sit home and collect my "undeserved" pension............soon, probably to be reduced; much to the joy of the cons and shmucks everywhere.

Good thing we bought the shack when we did and paid it off soon as we could. Pisses of the shmucks though, when they see a senior doing ok...........not a lot of extra cash, but, doing ok. The conshmucks are certainly trying to change that.

fukkem.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'm early Gen X. Do you hear me bitching about lacking anything?
I was responding to taxslave's ridiculous whining (as usual). I have heard a lot of that kind of bitching on here for years by Gen Xers. I live on about $1200 a month but have you heard me complaining about poverty? I would like to see some people try and live on that and see how much they whine and bitch.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I was responding to taxslave's ridiculous whining (as usual). I have heard a lot of that kind of bitching on here for years by Gen Xers. I live on about $1200 a month but have you heard me complaining about poverty? I would like to see some people try and live on that and see how much they whine and bitch.

Does no good to respond to shmucks, Cliffy.

fun though.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
. I live on about $1200 a month but have you heard me complaining about poverty? I would like to see some people try and live on that and see how much they whine and bitch.
I could but my bills are all paid and own my home and lands.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'm sure we are all pretty capable of sustaining ourselves, but the numbers don't lie. That is a phenomenal increase in senior poverty rate. Cutting OAS and EI are going to make things worse.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What do you propose we do to resolve the situation with seniors?

Is there a "situation" with seniors? You mean the seniors of today whose work life spanned the fairly lucrative days of the 1950s to the 1990s? The seniors who had it really tough were the ones from the hungry 30s and W.W. 2.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Is there a "situation" with seniors? You mean the seniors of today whose work life spanned the fairly lucrative days of the 1950s to the 1990s? The seniors who had it really tough were the ones from the hungry 30s and W.W. 2.

Read the OP.

Seniors are 17x more likely to be in poverty than 20 years ago.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm sure we are all pretty capable of sustaining ourselves, but the numbers don't lie. That is a phenomenal increase in senior poverty rate. Cutting OAS and EI are going to make things worse.
It's tough to compare Boomers to the generation prior. The generation prior wasn't urbanite.