Tories backpeddle on EI rule, say minister speaking in 'generalities'

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Tories backpeddle on EI rule, say minister speaking in 'generalities'

Canadians on EI will be expected to stomach a long commute under new rules the Conservative government is preparing to announce.

Human Resources Minister Diane Finley will soon outline the details of her government’s Employment Insurance reforms, as her fellow ministers add to the confusion over what exactly the Tories are planning.

About half a dozen cabinet ministers have offered hints at the new policy, making various, sometimes contradictory statements about the government’s new expectations for EI recipients. The latest to weigh in is Fisheries Minister Keith Ashfield, who represents the riding of Fredericton.

“People that can find employment within an hour’s drive of their home, that would be reasonable in our opinion,” Mr. Ashfield told CBC Radio. The average one-way commute in Canada is 26 minutes. The minister was then specifically asked whether new regulations would allow EI recipients to take a pass on a job offer it is more than an hour away from their home.

“Yes. That’s exactly true,” Mr. Ashfield replied. Yet Conservative officials later said the minister was speaking in “generalities” in an effort to make the point that EI recipients will not be expected to move. Officials acknowledged the rules will aim to quantify the criteria around how far and wide EI claimants should be job hunting.

Currently, an unemployed worker’s decision to restrict a job search to a specific geographic region is dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Disputes have been resolved by an independent board and the Federal Court.

The Conservative government has triggered intense speculation about the future of Canada’s EI system with the release of its omnibus budget bill, C-38. The legislation erases key sections of the Employment Insurance Act dealing with the criteria unemployed workers can cite for refusing an available job on the grounds that it is not suitable.

The government says it will replace those legislative rules with new measures via regulation after the budget bill is approved by Parliament.

The acceptable radius of a job hunt is one of the most debated and subjective sections of the current EI rules, given the wide variety of factors Canadians face across the country, including traffic congestion and public transit options.

The changes are expected to be felt most directly in Atlantic Canada, where there are higher proportions of Canadians who turn to EI year after year because of seasonal work.

Alvin Keenan, a 58-year-old potato farmer in Souris, PEI, employs as many as 30 seasonal workers to harvest potatoes each year between May and October. For the rest of the year, most of them are eligible for EI, Mr. Keenan said.

He said he thinks that the distance people have to drive for work should be discretionary. “I think it’s a hard thing to put a number on,” he said.

Driving or taking transit for an hour in the Greater Toronto Area is very different from driving for an hour on the island, he said, pointing to harsh weather conditions in the winter.

Mr. Keenan said cracking down on EI may win votes in areas where there’s low unemployment, but it’s the opposite where he lives. “It tears people apart in an area where we have a lot of seasonal jobs and unemployment [insurance] has been a piece of security that people are fortunate to have when it’s necessary,” he said.

One seasonal worker, Rodrigue Martin, has worked at Camp Beauséjour during the summer months for the past decade. His sister owns the Shediac, N.B. campground and employs him to do maintenance work for five to six months of the year, and the rest of the time the 67-year-old collects EI on top of his old age pension, he said.

Although he owns a car, he says it’s unreasonable for the government to think that he can commute an hour for work. In his case, he says, it would likely mean commuting to Moncton. “If they pay minimum wage, I can’t afford that,” he said. “I’m going to put it all in my [gas] tank so I don’t make any money.”

Tories backpeddle on EI rule, say minister speaking in 'generalities' - The Globe and Mail

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

One seasonal worker, Rodrigue Martin, has worked at Camp Beauséjour during the summer months for the past decade. His sister owns the Shediac, N.B. campground and employs him to do maintenance work for five to six months of the year, and the rest of the time the 67-year-old collects EI on top of his old age pension, he said.

Although he owns a car, he says it’s unreasonable for the government to think that he can commute an hour for work. In his case, he says, it would likely mean commuting to Moncton. “If they pay minimum wage, I can’t afford that,” he said. “I’m going to put it all in my [gas] tank so I don’t make any money.”

This guy has his sister employ him for five or six months, so that he can collect EI for the rest of the year, on top of his pension. That sounds like abuse of the system to me.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This guy has his sister employ him for five or six months, so that he can collect EI for the rest of the year, on top of his pension. That sounds like abuse of the system to me.

That is something that the Maritime/Atlantic provinces are privy to, specifically, because most of their industry is seasonal.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Not to me. He works and pays into EI after already paying into it for all the previous years he has paid into it, then collects it back when he can't work.
My mother worked straight for 63 years paying into Ei from when it was implemented and yet only collected EI for a number of months after she couldn't work. My father paid into it till he died and never collected a penny. They were both eligible for it and so is the guy who works for his sister.
Some abuse.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
One hour isn't too bad as long as that 1 hour is on public transportation. I don't think one can assume unemployed have access to a car -- at least not reasonably assume.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
One hour isn't too bad as long as that 1 hour is on public transportation. I don't think one can assume unemployed have access to a car -- at least not reasonably assume.
And neither can they afford public transit. Most world class cities outside North America, and many in the US, subsidise transit.

Another problem Canadians face.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
And neither can they afford public transit. Most world class cities outside North America, and many in the US, subsidise transit.

Yes. And you really see the difference when you use their system. The TTC looks OK until you see other cities systems. Then you realize how much the TTC sucks.

But if a job is available, perhaps the 1st month's metro pass could be courtesy of EI to get them rolling and the recipient should be able to take it from there. One shouldn't be restricting oneself to just the distance one can walk.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I think they need to abolish EI.. you have a welfare system for people "who don't want to get off their fat asses and get a job." One safety net is enough.

EI is just glamorized welfare... others claim it's for seasonal workers.. what a 6 month paid vacation of the Government, isn't that nice.

People pay into it.. yeah, right you get far more out than you pay in..

I would love an opt out feature on my pay check.. have no need to pay EI or want it.. I have never had a problem finding a job and I am willing to move to get a job.. all my EI taxes are going to some lazy fukk that won't get a job.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't think one can assume unemployed have access to a car -- at least not reasonably assume.
Why?

Over half my neighbours, commute, some over an hour. All own cars, all at risk of losing their income.

And neither can they afford public transit.
Can we see some evidence/facts to back that up please.

Most world class cities outside North America, and many in the US, subsidise transit.

Are you unaware of the subsidies Canadian public transit systems receive?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Are you unaware of the subsidies Canadian public transit systems receive?

In the states, the provincial/state level of government contributes a lot more -- a majority of the funding as a matter of fact. Ontario has chosen not to do this. As a result, the city has had to make up the slack or the rider through higher fares. Since the city is cash poor, it cannot compete on a level playing field when compared with other transit systems.

And yes this post is completely off topic.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
In the states, the provincial/state level of government contributes a lot more -- a majority of the funding as a matter of fact. Ontario has chosen not to do this. As a result, the city has had to make up the slack or the rider through higher fares. Since the city is cash poor, it cannot compete on a level playing field when compared with other transit systems.
You'll get no argument from me. Public transit should be heavily subsidized.

And yes this post is completely off topic.
Not really. It fits the cart before the horse sort of politics the Conservatives have always played.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I don't think it's so unreasonable. EI applicants would be individuals who are recently unemployed and I'd say the vast majority of people at least own a car. But personally I think it's just a matter of apply a little reasonability to the equation, some alternative strategies for those who seek EI benefits while looking for work who don't have a car. You know, have some kind of system in place to deal with that contingency.

Unfortunately reasonability and bureaucracy rarely go hand in hand.

Can we see some evidence/facts to back that up please.

Yeah like that'll ever happen, lol.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ya I know. I just asked him to back up his claims in the expat thread.

I doubt we'll be seeing any evidence there either.

No of course not. It would take time away from the dictionary looking up words like 'vacuous' so he can post it and feel all smug and self righteous. lol.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No of course not. It would take time away from the dictionary looking up words like 'vacuous' so he can post it and feel all smug and self righteous. lol.
He should probably spend a little more time reading his own posts before he posts them.

He wouldn't contradict himself so often, and there would be far fewer spelling and grammar errors.

That way, when he beaks off looking for his new tissues thumbs up of approval, the two of them won't look so insipid and silly.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Unfortunately we have a government that still behaves like the opposition in many cases.
By that I mean they don't understand the actual rule book on the program works and they
make statements that are contradictory that is how that happens. Sometimes confusion
from lack of knowledge is worse than someone attempting to deceive the public.
Seasonal work is prevalent in many parts of the country especially Atlantic Canada, and
there are other regions in BC and the Prairie as well.
Hiring someone for a period of time so they can collect EI, is not a conflict at all. The person
is working for the period the time the job is available, when the season is over the employment
ends.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Unfortunately we have a government that still behaves like the opposition in many cases.
By that I mean they don't understand the actual rule book on the program works and they
make statements that are contradictory that is how that happens. Sometimes confusion
from lack of knowledge is worse than someone attempting to deceive the public.
Geezus!!! You just described Cabbagefarts.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
He should probably spend a little more time reading his own posts before he posts them.

He wouldn't contradict himself so often, and there would be far fewer spelling and grammar errors.

That way, when he beaks off looking for his new tissues thumbs up of approval, the two of them won't look so insipid and silly.

Ya think? Lol. Can't quote, can't spell, can't structure a sentence, seems incapable of posting a link. Then he acts all self righteous! You almost have to admire the temerity!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ya think? Lol. Can't quote, can't spell, can't structure a sentence, seems incapable of posting a link. Then he acts all self righteous! You almost have to admire the temerity!
Admire it? I love it!

And the thumbs up he gets from Fuzzy? Oh that's just the hypocritical gravy, that is.