Don’t look now, but Stephen Harper is doing just fine

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
OTTAWA — Time for a resurrection of Stephen Harper, blue-sweater guy — or perhaps a duet with Yo-Yo Ma?
Given the controversies that have plagued Conservatives these past six months, and the recent surge in popularity of the New Democrats under Thomas Mulcair, you could be forgiven for assuming a refurb was in the offing. Indeed, since the Harper majority passed its one-year mark, there has been much speculation a cabinet shuffle was imminent. Failing that, surely there’d be a reset of some sort — a change in tone to shift focus from the F-35 fiasco, the robocalls mess, the omnibus bill, and mini-scandals involving ministers Bev Oda, Christian Paradis and Peter MacKay.

Consider that, despite having weathered six months of unrelentingly negative headlines, with the government accused of everything short of imposing totalitarian rule, nearly half of those polled approved of Harper’s job performance and a clear majority — 56 per cent — said they’re happy with Tory management of the economy. Keep in mind that, in our first-past-the-post electoral system, popular support in the high thirties is all that’s needed to form a majority.

Soft Harper is a secret weapon in the Conservative arsenal. They can wheel him out, Beatles songbook in hand, at any time. If they’re not doing this, it’s because they don’t feel they need to. Improbable though this may seem, events are once again conspiring in the Conservatives’ favour.

National Post

full article:

Despite Conservative scandals, Stephen Harper is doing just fine: Michael Den Tandt | Full Comment | National Post

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Controversies? What controversies? Robo calls, over zealous Conseevative flunkies...( some Edmonton Hillbilly ) other than that... I guess what you want to call controversies are a booming economy, Canada rated 3 most stable economy in the world, we are the 3rd worlds largest oil exporter. Jobs, jobs, jobs..

Redmonton_Rebel

Electoral Member
May 13, 2012
Controversies? What controversies? Robo calls, over zealous Conseevative flunkies...( some Edmonton Hillbilly ) other than that... I guess what you want to call controversies are a booming economy, Canada rated 3 most stable economy in the world, we are the 3rd worlds largest oil exporter. Jobs, jobs, jobs..

Oh yah, robocalls, no big deal.

We just spent over 350 billion dollars and over 150 Canadian lives fighting to bring democracy to a country on the other side of the planet. And it's a good bet that the current government intentionally robbed many Canadian citizens of their right to vote last election.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

We just spent over 350 billion dollars and over 150 Canadian lives fighting to bring democracy to a country on the other side of the planet. And it's a good bet that the current government intentionally robbed many Canadian citizens of their right to vote last election.

I cannot stand Harper for a number of policies but on the Robo Calls - I am waiting for the evidence. I would like nothing better than a Royal Commission into all the dirty - skirting the edge of the law tricks all parties use.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Well actually the latest poll is beginning to show some serious deficit in the polls.
The latest showed the NDP leading and the Liberals dropping still while Harper
slid slightly. Oh its close and that is the way it is. During the week on our local
station, they reported the poll showed the NDP at 33 or 34 percent, and the
Tories at 30% while the Liberals are lagging at 23% that if its true, means the
Tories are still doing well but not just fine thank you.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
As long as the NDP are doing well The conservatives will be in the drivers seat.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Didn't say "no big deal," I said it was probably Conservative flunkies... ie RackNine comes to memory, you know that Edmonton company that routed the calls then claimed ignorance as a defense..

Didn't Megaupload.com do the same, visit their site lately to see what playing the ignorance card got them
NOTICE

Redmonton_Rebel

Electoral Member
May 13, 2012
No, it isn't a good bet.

There's no evidence to support the notion the CPC in whole, was culpable.

There's more than enough evidence to indicate that over a fairly extensive part of the country(31 ridings) election fraud was committed by the Conservative Party. If it was just one riding it would be a very serious issue.

There's been 31,000 complaints, a confidential Conservative list used to target non-supporters, IP addresses linking a Conservative campaign worker and the illegal camaign and I'm sure there's going to be a lot more as the investigation continues.

The RCMP should have been involved long ago.

Didn't say "no big deal," I said it was probably Conservative flunkies... ie RackNine comes to memory, you know that Edmonton company that routed the calls then claimed ignorance as a defense..

Didn't Megaupload.com do the same, visit their site lately to see what playing the ignorance card got them
NOTICE

It doesn't matter, Steven Harper is responsible for what his party does, there was an attempt to disenfranchise thousands of Canadian voters by members of the Conservative Party posing as election officials.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
I guess you morons don't have the capacity to remember that not long after fixing election dates,harper broke his own rule.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There's more than enough evidence to indicate that over a fairly extensive part of the country(31 ridings) election fraud was committed by the Conservative Party.
No there isn't.

There's been 31,000 complaints, a confidential Conservative list used to target non-supporters, IP addresses linking a Conservative campaign worker and the illegal camaign and I'm sure there's going to be a lot more as the investigation continues.
Many of those complaints have already been dismissed as partisanship, hearsay, and faulty memory.

It doesn't matter, Steven Harper is responsible for what his party does...
Correct, but the party hasn't been charged or convicted of anything. Hell, they haven't even been able to fully finger the one suspect they do have in their sights.

But feel free to make it up as you go along.

Last edited: