From CUPE's Annual Convention:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Harper to blame for the economy

PEI Premier Joe Ghiz, speaking in Charlottetown at CUPE's annual convention:
"We…have to make sure that each and every Canadian gets to share in the wealth of our country. Today, in my opinion, Stephen Harper is hindering that view of Canada."

Harper to blame for the economy: Ghiz - Local - The Guardian

Yeah, Harper, quit hindering:
Canada booked its best two-month jobs gain in three decades with news today that the economy churned out 58,200 new jobs in April. Canadians found work in most regions of the country, many in the high-paying manufacturing, construction and resource industries.

Canada has best two-month jobs gain in 30 years as 58,200 added in April

Canada has best two-month jobs gain in 30 years as 58,200 added in April - Winnipeg Free Press

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

"We…have to make sure that each and every Canadian gets to share in the wealth of our country. Today, in my opinion, Stephen Harper is hindering that view of Canada."

Canada booked its best two-month jobs gain in three decades with news today that the economy churned out 58,200 new jobs in April. Canadians found work in most regions of the country, many in the high-paying manufacturing, construction and resource industries.

Canada has best two-month jobs gain in 30 years as 58,200 added in April - Winnipeg Free Press

We are all Oreo cookies that's the way Uncle Tom wants it and Uncle Sam agrees

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

PEI is heavily dependant upon Equalization and Federal jobs

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

more anti-Harper rhetoric.. :roll: yawn

Although this thread has attracted the usual suspects that salivate at anything anti-Harper..

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006

If the second link (job creation) is intended to be a refutation of the first link (income equality), I think you are missing the point.

While growth in jobs often helps prosperity across all levels, it does nothing to address income inequality. The disabled, the unemployable, and senior citizens benefit very little from this, while seeing basic services increasingly assaulted.

Now, income equality should not be a goal. Instead, the goal should be to raise the minimum standard of living. The amount that the top ten percent makes should be irrelevant to that conversation.

To achieve that a two-tiered approach is needed.

Firstly, create a society and economy that allows the majority of Canadians to succeed independently of government.
Secondly, for those that fall through the cracks, build a sustainable and respectful safety net that ensures all Canadians have their basic needs met with dignity, while not being so generous as to allow a level of comfort that removes incentive to look for work.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Isn't that like welfare?

That depends. Are we talking about make-busy jobs or productive ones?

If productive, no. and if make-busy, still no but even worse since at least when a person is on welfare we're not insulting his ingtelligence by making him waste his time doing useless work.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Agreed. In my view, if those funds aren't applied to a program that will result in self-sufficiency at some point n the future, then the payments are nothing more than a hand-out

Hand-up vs. hand-out. Yes.

I think some have a problem understanding that. It's not that we don't want to help the poor, but we also want to be sure that any help we give them actually helps them and not hinder them.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
When no plan truly exists for the deployment of the funds, or they are used to prop-up an unrealistic spending regime, then they are a detriment more than anything else.

Had all of Canada been affected by the global recession like some other nations, there would be no graft to spread around and those jurisdictions that deploy their tax revenues unwisely would be heading straight up sh*t creek

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If the hand outs were hand ups things would be fine.

Agreed. To legislate people out of work with minimum wage legislation, etc. does not do them any favours. Also, a person would normally prefer we train him for the jobs that are out there than just pay him welfare all his life.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have nothing against minimum wage. When minimum wage rose by nearly three bucks an hour here in SK lots and I mean lots of low and two income families could finally qualify to buy a home, car, better food, and put there kids into sports and other activities. The number on welfare and inome supplements plummeted as well

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I have nothing against minimum wage. When minimum wage rose by nearly three bucks an hour here in SK lots and I mean lots of low and two income families could finally qualify to buy a home, car, better food, and put there kids into sports and other activities. The number on welfare and inome supplements plummeted as well

Really? I can believe that those who kept their jobs got a raise, but I have a hard time believing that unemployment actually dropped unless the increase in the minimum wage was combined with increases skills training for the unemployed or some other programme, in which case the increase would have had nothing to do with the increase in the minimum wage, in which case wages and employment would have increased without the minimum wage.

Can you confirm that there was no other factor that would have contributed to the increase in jobs and wages?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You don't think people working for $7.50an hour didn't make huge gains with a $2.50 an hour gain and raise? Why wouldn't it be a benefit to their overall lifestyle and ability to get credit?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You don't think people working for $7.50an hour didn't make huge gains with a $2.50 an hour gain and raise? Why wouldn't it be a benefit to their overall lifestyle and ability to get credit?

It could to those who kept their jobs, but maybe not so much to those entering the job market since it could have cut back on employment.

After all, by improving skills via training, the government is making a worker worth the money; by just raisning the minimum wage, it may benefit some, but otehrs are then locked out of the market.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Why would they give up their jobs when getting a raise of $2.50?

They won't willingly do so, but it does increase the risk of layoffs or at least hiring freezes.

If you just raise their skill sets though, then their wages would go up naturally without an increase in the minimum wage.

And hiring freezes can be deceiving since if no one's laid off we think everything is hunky dory while forgetting about those who were trying to get a foot in the market as a newbie.