Conservatives bow to pressure, amend parts of controversial refugee bill

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Conservatives bow to pressure, amend parts of controversial refugee bill

OTTAWA - The Conservative government is bowing to pressure and proposing amendments to a controversial new refugee bill.

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney says migrants deemed part of "mass arrivals" will now have their detention reviewed at the 14-day mark, as opposed to having to wait a year.

He says the intention was never to detain legitimate refugees but to have greater ability to process smuggled migrants who arrive in large numbers.

Kenney's also making clear that the government won't be revoking permanent residency status for refugees when the situation in their home countries improves.

Refugee advocacy groups and the Opposition have said the bill is dangerous and punishes refugees instead of helping them.

The New Democrats said earlier today they believe the bill centralizes too much power in the hands of the minister and does nothing to stop the problem of human smuggling.

Conservatives bow to pressure, amend parts of controversial refugee bill - Winnipeg Free Press

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I wonder if they even need the 14 days.

It always seems the same with bureaucracies, if the law says that they have X amount of time, then the paperwork sits around doing nothing until a few days before the deadline when somebody finally takes the five minutes to process it. Maybe a flag comes up and they deal with it after a ten minute phone call.

cribone

Sep 2, 2015
I find it curious that our Immigration Minister ( Chris Alexander) is not the Government's spokesperson on their refugee response Jason Kenny is. he gave an interview today on the issue that will be heard tomorrow morning on CBC radio. Kenny was also the spokesperson on the economy a week or so back. not the Finance Why doe s Mr. Harper appoint people who cant be trusted to speak on their particular ministry.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That's too bad. I thought he had more ballz than that. Letting all these so called refugees in is going to come back to bite us.