Tory attacks against NDP getting little media traction

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Tory attacks against NDP getting little media traction

OTTAWA — With its two-week-long campaign targeting the NDP's shadow cabinet having largely fallen on deaf ears in the media, the Conservatives seem to be trying to up ante with the launch of a new attack website.

Still, despite its black-and-orange colour scheme, spooky fonts and disappearing slogans, Mulcair's NDP Team lacks the viciousness the Conservatives displayed toward adversaries in years past.

The fates of former Liberal opposition leaders Stephane Dion and Michael Ignatieff have long been attributed, at least in part, to the success of Conservative attack campaigns.

Few Canadians, for instance, can forget the viral Conservative slogans that portrayed Dion as "not a leader" and warned that Ignatieff "didn't come back for you."

But either the Tories have lost their knack for nastiness or their criticism of the new official Opposition simply isn't sticking.

While the NDP was preparing for character assassination against their leader before Thomas Mulcair was elected in March — they even released a series of ads early on aimed at defining him before their competitors could — the Tories have instead sought to knock NDP members off the party's front bench one by one.

The Conservatives have issued press releases almost daily, targeting Nathan Cullen on resource development, Brian Masse for endorsing the idea of a government-owned car manufacturer and Alexandre Boulerice for donating to the provincial Quebec Solidaire party, which has supported sovereignty.

The releases — dubbed "get to know Mr. Mulcair's NDP shadow cabinet" and issued by party spokesman Fred DeLorey — say the NDP's team "threatens dangerous economic experiments, job-killing taxes, and reckless spending we simply cannot afford."

"This team has demonstrated a disturbing willingness to put the interests of a narrow band of activists ahead of the interests of hard-working Canadian families.

"Mulcair's NDP have blocked reasonable measures to put the rights of victims first, fighting to defend a criminal justice system that privileges the rights of criminals at the public's expense. They have gone to great lengths to prevent responsible development of Canada's natural resources, going so far as to travel abroad to criticize their own country."

In each release, the Tories promise to continue showing Canadians how the NDP fails to "stand for the interests of everyday hard-working Canadian families."

The campaign has culminated in the new website — basically a repackaging of those news releases.

For all their efforts, the Conservative attacks have enjoyed little media coverage and the NDP hasn't batted an eye.

"This technique where they don't attack the leader, they attack our shadow cabinet. I don't know, I suppose it's maybe even a mark of respect from the Conservatives that they continue to highlight different members of our shadow cabinet in question period in their attacks but it's not a problem for us," Cullen said Tuesday.

"We're not going to be distracted away from our work, not at all."

Finance critic Peggy Nash recently noted that the issue of the "ridiculous attacks" hadn't come up at all in caucus.

"I think what Canadians expect is that in Parliament, we're going to be debating substantive issues and not just slinging attacks at each other," she said.

In response to a query shortly after the attacks began, Mulcair's principal secretary Karl Belanger called them "sad and pathetic" and noted they wouldn't "distract" the NDP from tackling the "real issues" of concern to Canadians.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2nvwjts.jpg

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You can either sell your strong points or, when you have none, just attack the opposition. Right?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
You can either sell your strong points or, when you have none, just attack the opposition. Right?

Looks about right.

They'll need some strong points though, or they might lose majority status next round.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Looks about right.

They'll need some strong points though, or they might lose majority status next round.

The thing with attack adds is that it does not necessarily win votes for the attacker and might even lose him votes, but it can sometimes cost votes for the attacked too. The plan essentially is to ensure many get so turned off politics as to stay home, resulting in the attacker winning possibly on even fewer votes than before simply because of the votes it costs the competition.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The federal Conservative propaganda machine NDP attack ad is an easy one they just refer to the Hansard just because the NDP always put their foot in their mouths

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think most people still think of Jack Layton when they think of the Federal NDP. As Muclair becomes more well known, he will start to stand on his own (for good or bad).

I also think now is the perfect time to play with your advertising. 3 years to an election. And holding a lead now means about as much as holding the President's Cup in hockey. Its the election poll which will count much as the cup named Stanley in hockey.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There are other reasons for the non effect as it were. Regardless of their faults that
every party has, the NDP are not harmed by this stuff for a very startling reason. The
Canadian Public regardless of whether they intend to vote NDP or not, happen to like
Mulcair. The positive opposition approach is also gaining ground.
When this happens, the party using nasty stuff looks out of place and not prepared to
engage in meaningful dialogue on the issues of the day.
The second problem for the Tories is, when the public likes someone and you attack them
you draw them closer to your enemies as it were. The them and us style politics of attack
and discredit are slowly slipping away in this nation and South of the Boarder these
tactics prey on the uniformed. Here more and more Canadians find those tactics unacceptable.
Robocalls should have demonstrated that to the Tories.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
There are other reasons for the non effect as it were. Regardless of their faults that
every party has, the NDP are not harmed by this stuff for a very startling reason. The
Canadian Public regardless of whether they intend to vote NDP or not, happen to like
Mulcair. The positive opposition approach is also gaining ground.
When this happens, the party using nasty stuff looks out of place and not prepared to
engage in meaningful dialogue on the issues of the day.
The second problem for the Tories is, when the public likes someone and you attack them
you draw them closer to your enemies as it were. The them and us style politics of attack
and discredit are slowly slipping away in this nation and South of the Boarder these
tactics prey on the uniformed. Here more and more Canadians find those tactics unacceptable.
Robocalls should have demonstrated that to the Tories.

Right. Which is why we see so many ideologues wandering around this very forum, attacking the present gov't or comparing them to Hitler.

That didn't take long at all.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I hope you were not referring to me comparing the present government to Hitler.
That didn't happen. I did say the current opposition is popular with a large
sector of Canadian, or I should say the new leader. Any government in its right
mind would not go attacking people the citizens like, at least not right away.
I don't think Harper is a Hitler, he is a narrow minded little man who cares more
about himself than the nation as a whole but I don't think he is a Hitler or a Nazi.
He is more of a social Conservative who wants to shove his ideology down
everyone's throat and I think his government will be held to account for that if he
doesn't change his ways. I don't see concentration camps or people disappearing
in the night.
The problem for Harper is he doesn't have the support Hitler had Harper only has
abut 34% right now and the official opposition is right on his heels.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The problem for Harper is he doesn't have the support Hitler had Harper only has
abut 34% right now and the official opposition is right on his heels.
So, in your own words, Harper is popular with a large sector of Canadians.

Gotchya.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Maybe the media isn't paying any attention to this because they understand that the NDP are irrelevant.... After the next federal election, the Dippers will be back to their 10 or 12 seats

So if the NDP is irrelevant, why do the Conservatives waste time attacking them? Does that mean the Conservatives waste times on irrelevancies?