Sask. premier slams Mulcair over 'Dutch disease' comments

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall is accusing federal NDP Leader Tom Mulcair of dividing Canadians with his comments about the economy and energy.

In a recent interview, Mulcair said the resource sector in western Canada is artificially driving up the dollar, making it tough on eastern manufacturers and exporters.

Speaking on the CBC Radio program The House, Mulcair compared the current Canadian economic situation to the so-called "Dutch disease."

That's a term coined by The Economist magazine explaining the collapse of the Dutch manufacturing sector, after development of the oil industry pushed up the Netherlands' currency in the 1960s.

Wall first expressed his disapproval on Twitter: "Thomas Mulcair calls the strength of our resource sector a "disease" ... Resources have been the cure not the problem, NDP."

Later, speaking to reporters, Wall accused Mulcair of pitting eastern voters against the west.
"I think it's very, very divisive," Wall said.

"For someone who aspires to be prime minister to label a certain sector of our economy that's actually creating jobs — creating jobs through exports and through their development for all of the country — that he would label this as a problem, is very disconcerting and I hope he changes his tune."

Mulcair said he's not against developing the oilsands — but it should be sustainable development where the polluter and the users pay the environmental costs.

"We've hollowed out the manufacturing sector," he said. "In six years since the Conservatives arrived, we've lost 500,000 good-paying, manufacturing jobs … more than half of them because we're not internalizing the environmental costs."

Mulcair added that his analysis looked generally at the impact of resource exports on the dollar and manufacturing — insisting he wasn't specifically targeting Alberta or the oilsands industry.

TC Douglas was a HUGE promoter of SK energy developement in his day. He must be rolling over in his grave.

Another thing.....SHELL (a large player in the oil sands) is DUTCH!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Mulcair is shooting off his mouth and hitting his foot. He won't become PM without western support.

Why would his suggestion of Dutch Disease compromise western support?

He even states in the article you posted that he does not object to oilsands development?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I find it ironic that one sector demands that the rest of the nation increase their cost of living simply to provide a better trade environment for them.

Except that this would make equalization fairer because Ontario can't rely as much on Alberta's success.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Only Dippers are allowed to shoot their mouths off Pete. Divisive or not, it's the duty of all NDP shills to defend it.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Dutch disease certainly has been a problem for some exporters. But it's not as if there are not remedies for fluctuating currencies. A simple fix, align revenues and expenses so they use the same currency. For those manufacturers in Southwest Ontario that primarily export to the US, then switch to using the US dollar as the currency for revenue. Also, as many of the raw materials will already be in US dollars as a commodity, that's one way to insulate against those currency fluctuations.

The corporation I work for uses the greenback. So the past year was rough, simply due to currency fluctuations, despite double digit growth in sales. Most of our costs are in Swiss Francs, so that really took the wind out of the sales so to speak. :lol:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I don't see much wrong with the comment its valid and has been used as a coined phrase
for some time in main stream society. From what I understand Mulcair wants serious and
I mean serious changes to the way we harvest resources and resource development. I too
would like to ensure we are doing all we can to extract resources in the most efficient fashion.
Am I against oil sands development? No and my point is most people across Canada are in
favour of developing the resource they just want it done in a sustainable fashion. Will that
cost more? Likely yes. the reason for supporting that view but developing the industry is as
follows. When the extraction is done we want to use the money governments get, for programs.
We want to ensure we are no going to pay more for cleanup than we get in royalties.
If you want to see what happens when things go wrong, go check out the Sydney Tar Pits in
Cape Breton. Some estimate ten billion or more will be needed before they are finished and the
problem is that is a conservative guess the last time I heard.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
From what I understand Mulcair wants serious and
I mean serious changes to the way we harvest resources and resource development.
It's one of the few policies the NDP has stood by, that I kind of like.

Unfortunately, the fact that what they propose will be paid for by the common man, coupled with the bulk of the rest of their platform, they lose my support.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Phrases/words to be shunned by Conservatives as featured in "The Shibboleth Companion" (2011 edition, second printing)
The Dutch Disease
Hollande
Tar Sands
Carbon Credits
Global Warming
Climate Change
Liberal
Social Action
Equalization
Feedom 65
The United Nations
Gun Control