What are they teaching our kids?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
TORONTO - "Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted." - Vladimir Lenin

One school seems to be sowing the seeds of hate against the Jews.

Another seems to be training third graders to learn how to be professional protesters against capitalism and The Harper government.
Who needs that boring reading, writing and arithmetic?

Since taxpayers are helping with the existence of both, should the Toronto District School Board tolerate such madness?

And should the Children's Aid Society be called in?

"Children have a strong sense of justice and empathy," reads a news release from The Grove Community Alternative School. "They recognize the unfairness of putting a pipeline through indigenous territory without consent."

Really? These kids are eight.

Do they teach them that their running shoes come from a polluting country like China or do they know the plastic trucks on their displayed papier mache pipeline prop are made from oil products?

At eight, they shouldn't have to know any of that.

Or have an opinion on anything.

Yet here's this teacher with earrings and a ring through his nose leading 17 of them in a demonstration against the Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline outside the Toronto Public Library on Queen St. in Parkdale Monday.

"The teach-in comes at a time when the federal government attempts to squeeze concerned citizens to the fringes of society," says a news release.

This was happening during school hours.

And they use taxpayer-owned TDSB schools to do it, too.

Brilliant.

complete article:

Sun News : What are they teaching our kids?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Misleading article makes it appear that an isolated event is actually common principle.

Thankfully they do teach critical thinking in schools.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm wary of Sun News. However, I would say that a school should be strictly apolitical. I have no qualms with religious education, but if the claims about that Madrassah are true, it would seem that it's trying to teach politics under the guise of religion.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Misleading article makes it appear that an isolated event is actually common principle.

Unfortunately that is not an isolated incident. Teachers in BC are forever forcing NDP and environmentalist dogma on their students and use them as hostages in negotiating for higher wages.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You can't "force' a kid to learn or adopt a political stance. FFS, you can't even get them to do dishes.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
From SUN news. A joke to start with. The school is not a public school. It was an alternative school where parents who are environmentally concerned send their kids to learn about environmental issues of concern to their parents. As the lady said, SUN news misrepresents facts and pushes their right wing pro Harper, pro oil bias.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
From SUN news. A joke to start with. The school is not a public school. It was an alternative school where parents who are environmentally concerned send their kids to learn about environmental issues of concern to their parents.

So, how do you feel about those parents that are theologically concerned and send their kids to a alt school with a religious focus.

Are they fundies in your book? Does that make the eco-school fundies as well?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
From SUN news. A joke to start with. The school is not a public school. It was an alternative school where parents who are environmentally concerned send their kids to learn about environmental issues of concern to their parents. As the lady said, SUN news misrepresents facts and pushes their right wing pro Harper, pro oil bias.

At least they have the Sunshine girl thing going for them.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
We need more Bucks and fewer 'educators'.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
So, how do you feel about those parents that are theologically concerned and send their kids to a alt school with a religious focus.

Are they fundies in your book? Does that make the eco-school fundies as well?
You sure like to change the subject with your straw man nonsense.

Did I say I endorsed this school's agenda? Are Catholic schools "fundie" schools? Do you always need to change the subject when your beloved oil puking buddies are put in the spotlight? Sometimes I think you are as far out in right field as Wally.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
This event may be a one off, but there are other events, that similarly raise eyebrows, taking place at Toronto District schools.

It's becoming a concern for some people, who feel their money should be better spent.

You must have been off sick that day.

Actually Cliffy, it's a publicly funded school, under the control of the Toronto School Board. The fact that it exists at all, should raise eyebrows.

Funny I had to point that out. With all the self proclaimed free thinkers running around here.

Too lumpy for ya?
She has an inny.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
This [/I

Actually Cliffy, it's a publicly funded school, under the control of the Toronto School Board. The fact that it exists at all, should raise eyebrows.

Funny I had to point that out. With all the self proclaimed free thinkers running around here.

She has an inny.

Free thinkers are also free not to think. As the case may be.