Charities urge Peter Kent to retract 'laundering' accusation

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Charities urge Peter Kent to retract 'laundering' accusation

Canadian charities are demanding Environment Minister Peter Kent retract accusations that some charitable groups are "laundering" foreign funds in Canada.

Imagine Canada — an umbrella organization representing the charitable sector — penned an open letter to the minister Friday expressing "serious concern" over his repeated use of the word.

"Imagine Canada does not take a position on the specific policy debate that triggered your comments," writes Imagine's CEO, Marcel Lauzière."However, saying that charities are 'laundering' funds, a criminal activity, goes far beyond the specifics of any one policy file."

Kent first accused charities of laundering money for foreign foundations on the April 28 episode of the CBC Radio's The House. It was in response to a question about environmental charities' fears the government is trying to silence them by removing their charitable status.

"Some groups with charitable status have been going well beyond the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) guidelines for what is acceptable practice as a charitable agency. And there has also been concern that some Canadian charitable agencies have been used to launder off-shore foreign funds," Kent told host Evan Solomon.

Kent repeated the accusation on Tuesday in an interview with Solomon on CBC News Network's Power & Politics program. He sought to clarify his comments for a CBC Radio News story on Thursday.

"Whether you call it money laundering or a financial shell game or three-card monty, it is inappropriate under those organizations' charitable status," Kent explained.

Another minister involved in the environmental file was asked if he suspected environmental charities of money laundering.

"No. I'm not suggesting a criminal intent at all," Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver told Power & Politics in an interview airing Friday.

Imagine asked Kent to reconsider his statements or provide details of the allegations.

"If you have specific knowledge of improper or illegal activity by any individual organization, it is imperative that you provide details to the appropriate investigating authorities. If, however, you misspoke, we would encourage you to retract your comments publicly," the letter reads.

Charities urge Peter Kent to retract 'laundering' accusation - Politics - CBC News

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Imagine asked Kent to reconsider his statements or provide details of the allegations.

"If you have specific knowledge of improper or illegal activity by any individual organization, it is imperative that you provide details to the appropriate investigating authorities. If, however, you misspoke, we would encourage you to retract your comments publicly," the letter reads.

He is not referring to all charities and he will never identify the ones that are

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I wouldn't doubt that there is influence in charities of all kinds, but Kent should actually bring forward some evidence - even if circumstantial, to justify his position. It's extremely ironic that this government will claim "baseless smears" on robocalls, despite the fact that there are numerous, validated complaints and IP addresses linked to CPC staffers, but they'll shoot their mouths off and blame charities of criminal activity without anything behind it.

What is to guess? He's talking about D.S.F.

Kent should show the receipts then and call them out specifically.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That would be nice, but in the mean time I'd wager we'll see some regulations hit. If so I'd love to see the NPO portion of political parties be the first to be forced into audits.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I wouldn't doubt that there is influence in charities of all kinds, but Kent should actually bring forward some evidence - even if circumstantial, to justify his position. It's extremely ironic that this government will claim "baseless smears" on robocalls, despite the fact that there are numerous, validated complaints and IP addresses linked to CPC staffers, but they'll shoot their mouths off and blame charities of criminal activity without anything behind it.

Kent should show the receipts then and call them out specifically.

How about the pro-abortion charities they kill their babies and sell the dead carcass to cosmetic companies so women can spread it all over their face to look pretty?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
How about the pro-abortion charities they kill their babies and sell the dead carcass to cosmetic companies so women can spread it all over their face to look pretty?

This was either terribly funny or terribly sad.

I can't decide which one though.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
No idea, but maybe we should have another thread on it.

I was expecting Suzuki pics by now.

Here you are