Harper demands Mulcair apologize for Conrad Black ‘racism' suggestion

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Harper demands Mulcair apologize for suggestion that Conrad Black decision was ‘racist’

NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair should apologize to public servants for suggesting that they were “biased, prejudiced, and even racist” in granting former media mogul Conrad Black a temporary residency permit, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Wednesday.

Ottawa has cleared the way for Black’s return by granting him a one-year temporary resident permit, setting off a political row in Ottawa after it was learned yesterday. Black applied for the permit in March.

Mulcair compared Black’s case to that of Gary Freeman, an American-born man who has been denied re-entry into Canada because of a criminal record. The 63-year-old was involved with the Black Panthers, and was extradited to the U.S. in 2008 and pleaded guilty to shooting a police officer in 1969. After serving a 30-day sentence, he was denied re-entry to Canada, where his wife and four children live.

“It is a clear case of a double standard, one for an American black man from Chicago, another for a British white man coming out of federal penitentiary,” Mulcair said.

Harper was unimpressed with the comparison, saying the NDP leader was accusing officials of being “biased, prejudiced, and even racist . . . without any evidence” during question period Wednesday.

Harper also flatly rejected charges that the Conservatives had anything to do with Black’s permit, saying the decision was made by bureaucrats.

“It would be just as easy for us if Mr. Black was not allowed to come to Canada but that was not the judgment of those that administer the law,” he said in response to Mulcair.

“On the government side we have to administer and let our public servants administer the law as it is and not apply political criteria to it.”

Mulcair, to say the least, wasn’t picking up what Harper was putting down.

“Conrad Black is a British citizen, he’s still in U.S. jail and he’s been convicted of serious crimes in the United States,” Mulcair said during question period Wednesday.

“The only exceptional case in this case is that he is a friend of the Conservatives. Why is (Harper) not tough on crime when it comes to his Conservative cronies.”

Mulcair was asked about playing the “race card” on the CBC’s “Power and Politics” Wednesday evening but he declined to directly respond to the issue.

“I think it’s very clear that with regard to the Conservatives, they’re insiders, they’re friends . . . people that are connected with them get one treatment and everyone else gets another one,” was Mulcair’s response.

Stephen Harper demands Thomas Mulcair apologize for suggestion that Conrad Black decision was 'racist' | News | National Post

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
"Demands" seems a little arrogant. Mulcair has a point and he should be entitled to it. Harper has a lot of opinions that go contrary to most Canadians but I don't hear him apologizing or justifying his position.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
"Demands" seems a little arrogant. Mulcair has a point and he should be entitled to it. Harper has a lot of opinions that go contrary to most Canadians but I don't hear him apologizing or justifying his position.

I think Mulcair's comment was daft, but I don't know if he needs to apologize for it. It's not like Mulcair demanded an apology from Harper last week when he implied that the NDP are sympathetic to Hitler.

But part of me thinks Mulcair should apologize anyway. It would be a good move that differentiates them from the stubbornness of the Conservatives.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I think Mulcair's comment was daft, but I don't know if he needs to apologize for it. It's not like Mulcair demanded an apology from Harper last week when he implied that the NDP are sympathetic to Hitler.

But part of me thinks Mulcair should apologize anyway. It would be a good move that differentiates them from the stubbornness of the Conservatives.
On the surface, it does seem like political interference in this case. True or not, the system, political, judicial and the law, are ripe with double standards that should be addressed. My uncle pointed the double standards out to me back in the early 60's and they only seem to have become more intrenched over the decades. BUt I doubt there is any political will to address the problem.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
If Conrad Black was black but still had the same power and influence, he would have got the same preferential treatment. Harper's government is prejudiced, just not along racial lines.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If Conrad Black was black but still had the same power and influence, he would have got the same preferential treatment. Harper's government is prejudiced, just not along racial lines.
All governments are prone to cronyism and certainly "money talks and bullshyte walks" is the policy of them all.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I think Mulcair was out of line and just trying to score political points. He should apologize to the bureaucrats involved for dragging them into something they have little control over even when they follow the letter of the law right to the last period.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I think Mulcair was out of line and just trying to score political points. He should apologize to the bureaucrats involved for dragging them into something they have little control over even when they follow the letter of the law right to the last period.

I can see that, but then should Harper also apologize for his Hitler comment the week before?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Anyone without a non-violent or drug related criminal record including Black can apply for waiver to gain entry into Canada.

But that does not apply to Black due to his being such a pompous ass to many. Seems people cannot see the legal requirements due to their own personal politics and their opinion of Harper.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
But that does not apply to Black due to his being such a pompous ass to many. Seems people cannot see the legal requirements due to their own personal politics and their opinion of Harper.

Not true. One of the requirements is the probability of a re-occurring offense.

I've pointed this out a few times already.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
No - That is personal opinion - Really.

It's still one of the requirements according to the immigration policy. I have no idea how they would come to an empirical conclusion on the matter, but that is the basis for the double standard that Mulcair brought forward in the house.

As I stated earlier, the race card was extra flavouring he was peddling which I think is a gaffe on his part.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It's still one of the requirements according to the immigration policy.

It is and people who do this all the time decided he was not likely to re-offend - You are making opinion based statements based upon what? Personal Politics- Personal dislike - Yet you cannot see that.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It is and people who do this all the time decided he was not likely to re-offend - You are making opinion based statements based upon what? Personal Politics- Personal dislike - Yet you cannot see that.

No, I agree with immigration if they can legitimize why they think he would not re-offend. Mulcair was simply pointing out that there is no consistency in how they come to this decision.

It was less about Black's denial and more about the difference between Black and Freeman. What made Freeman more likely to re-offend and Black less likely to re-offend?

Last edited: