Ottawa approves Conrad Black’s request to live in Canada

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Ottawa is granting former media baron Conrad Black permission to reside in Canada despite the fact he gave up his citizenship more than a decade ago and has since served jail time in Florida for fraud and obstruction of justice.

The Department of Citizenship and Immigration has authorized a one-year temporary resident permit for Lord Black that is valid from early May, 2012, until early May, 2013, The Globe and Mail has learned.

The former head of Hollinger International is expected to be released from a U.S. prison this Friday.

Securing this permit is the first step toward winning back Canadian citizenship, should Lord Black wish to do so. He can only be considered eligible to apply for citizenship after living in the country for at least one year and winning permanent-resident status.

The Globe and Mail has learned that Lord Black paid a $200 fee for a temporary-resident permit on March 20, 2012.

A source familiar with the matter said the Case Management Branch of the Department of Citizenship and Immigration approved the permit in March.

The department, in its decision, judged that Lord Black does not pose a threat to the Canadian public and that his high-profile status ensures his every move in Canada would come under close scrutiny.

Government sources say that Immigration Minister Jason Kenney explicitly ordered his department to leave him out of the decision-making on Lord Black.

In February, before Lord Black applied for the permit, Mr. Kenney’s staff sent an email to Citizenship and Immigration officials asking that all decisions on the file be handled by the department.

Lord Black renounced his Canadian citizenship in 2001 in order to obtain a British peerage.

It is not the first time he’s been issued such a temporary-resident permit (TRP) – but it’s the first since his 2007 criminal conviction.

In December, 2005 – when Liberal prime minister Paul Martin was in office – he was issued a one-year multiple-entry permit. Lord Black also was granted another such permit by the Department of Citizenship and Immigration in November, 2006, by which time the Harper government was in power.

Lord Black was convicted in Chicago in 2007 of three counts of fraud and one count of obstruction of justice over the misappropriation of money at newspaper giant Hollinger International Inc. He was sentenced to 6 ½ years in prison.

Lord Black launched several appeals, including one to the U.S. Supreme Court, which ended up rewriting part of the U.S. fraud statute. Those appeals eventually led to the reversal of two fraud convictions and Lord Black was re-sentenced to 42 months in prison.

He has been completing that sentence at a prison in Miami.

Ottawa approves Conrad Black's request to live in Canada - The Globe and Mail

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Ottawa is granting former media baron Conrad Black permission to reside in Canada despite the fact he gave up his citizenship more than a decade ago and has since served jail time in Florida for fraud and obstruction of justice.

The Department of Citizenship and Immigration has authorized a one-year temporary resident permit for Lord Black that is valid from early May, 2012, until early May, 2013, The Globe and Mail has learned.

The former head of Hollinger International is expected to be released from a U.S. prison this Friday.

Securing this permit is the first step toward winning back Canadian citizenship, should Lord Black wish to do so. He can only be considered eligible to apply for citizenship after living in the country for at least one year and winning permanent-resident status.

The Globe and Mail has learned that Lord Black paid a $200 fee for a temporary-resident permit on March 20, 2012.

A source familiar with the matter said the Case Management Branch of the Department of Citizenship and Immigration approved the permit in March.

The department, in its decision, judged that Lord Black does not pose a threat to the Canadian public and that his high-profile status ensures his every move in Canada would come under close scrutiny.

Government sources say that Immigration Minister Jason Kenney explicitly ordered his department to leave him out of the decision-making on Lord Black.

In February, before Lord Black applied for the permit, Mr. Kenney’s staff sent an email to Citizenship and Immigration officials asking that all decisions on the file be handled by the department.

Lord Black renounced his Canadian citizenship in 2001 in order to obtain a British peerage.

It is not the first time he’s been issued such a temporary-resident permit (TRP) – but it’s the first since his 2007 criminal conviction.

In December, 2005 – when Liberal prime minister Paul Martin was in office – he was issued a one-year multiple-entry permit. Lord Black also was granted another such permit by the Department of Citizenship and Immigration in November, 2006, by which time the Harper government was in power.

Lord Black was convicted in Chicago in 2007 of three counts of fraud and one count of obstruction of justice over the misappropriation of money at newspaper giant Hollinger International Inc. He was sentenced to 6 ½ years in prison.

Lord Black launched several appeals, including one to the U.S. Supreme Court, which ended up rewriting part of the U.S. fraud statute. Those appeals eventually led to the reversal of two fraud convictions and Lord Black was re-sentenced to 42 months in prison.

He has been completing that sentence at a prison in Miami.

Ottawa approves Conrad Black's request to live in Canada - The Globe and Mail

And do you agree or diagree?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I say 'welcome back Connie!'.. Maybe I can get in touch with him and set up a tee time some weekend; I'll see if I can round-up a couple of plebes to carry the clubs and cocktails... MF, your back feeling OK enough to schlep a couple of sets of clubs?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Tories won't confirm report Conrad Black coming to Canada

The Conservative government won't confirm a report saying Conrad Black has been given permission to return to Canada for a year, even though he gave up his citizenship in 2001 and has criminal record in the U.S.

The Globe and Mail is reporting that Citizenship and Immigration Canada has granted Black a temporary resident permit, which would allow him to live in Canada from May 2012 until May 2013.

Black would normally be inadmissible because he isn't a Canadian citizen and has a criminal record.
According to a government website, a temporary resident permit temporarily overcomes inadmissibility.

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney said in question period that he couldn't comment on specific cases, but that he removed himself from any case concerning Black.

"Matters such as this are a matter of personal privacy," he told MPs.

"I can advise the House, with respect to this individual, I indicated to my department that I would not have any involvement in an application from that individual and that his application would be treated by highly trained members of our public service."

'Double standard'

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair said the case shows there are two sets of rules, pointing to another case where the government won't let another man return to Canada after serving 30 days in U.S. prison. "It's a clear case of a double standard. One for an American black man from Chicago, another for a British white man coming out of federal penitentiary," Mulcair said.

Black, 67, is due to be released from a Florida prison by next weekend.

He was resentenced last June to 42 months in prison on fraud and obstruction of justice charges.

Black served 29 months in the Coleman federal prison in Florida before the U.S. Supreme Court struck down some of his initial convictions, citing a misuse of the "honest services" provision of the U.S. fraud statute. His original sentence was for 78 months in prison after multiple convictions on fraud and obstruction of justice charges.

The court agreed to accept the 29 months he had already served as part of his new sentence of 42 months.

In an interview with Matt Galloway of CBC Toronto Radio's Metro Morning last August, Black talked about the possibility of eventually getting back the Canadian citizenship he renounced in 2001 to take a seat in the U.K.'s House of Lords.

"I can see quite clearly, looming larger every day, the end of this horrible sequence of events," he told Galloway.

He said he wants to return to Toronto, because that's where his wife, journalist Barbara Amiel, lives, but he won't try to get his Canadian citizenship right away.

Tories won't confirm report Conrad Black coming to Canada - Politics - CBC News

I say 'welcome back Connie!'.. Maybe I can get in touch with him and set up a tee time some weekend; I'll see if I can round-up a couple of plebes to carry the clubs and cocktails... MF, your back feeling OK enough to schlep a couple of sets of clubs?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
And do you agree or diagree?

I think Conrad Black just upset the wrong people. Two of the charges against him were reversed and maybe another
but you can't unserve jail time already served. I don't say he was innocent but I don't think he deserved the jail time
he got. I'm kind of glad he's back in Canada because sooner or later somebody might find something else to charge
him with. A few years ago Martha Stewart was found guilty of insider trading and had to serve some time in prison.
She wrote a book and made a profit on the jail time.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Seeing he was born in Canada, he could easily reapply for citizenship.

Well, as he was born and resided here most of his life, I don't see how we can refuse him, even given the criminal convictions in the US: we're pretty much obligated to look after our own trash, as the Khadr cases have shown...

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Here is a man who denounced Canada to accept a position for personal glory.
In the same time frame here is a man who shafted his shareholders and we
the people of Canada should just take him back? Someone said he was born
in Canada so he should be able to re-apply, Nonsense, we are critical of those
who come from the Middle East and take out citizenship and leave, this is no
different. He chose to leave to become British so he could become a member
of the House of Lords. In short he sold out his citizenship for personal gain.
The Conservatives tried unsuccessfully to mock Mulcair for having dual
citizenship, and they want to open their arms wide to this guy. Incidentally at
least Mulcair never gave up his citizenship, he is still a Canadian.
Black on the other hand is a Canadian of convenience. He is a disgrace and
a convict, convicted of commercial crimes in the United States. Since when did
the defenders of our boarders the Tories, start letting in convicted criminals?
The dog and pony show in Ottawa continues.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I think we have far bigger things to worry about then where Conrad Black hangs his hat.

This really has very little to do with Black, it's simply an opportunity for the usual suspects to vent their fury at Harper... Had Connie's repatriation been demanded by the Dippers, well, there would be no shortage of tearful pleas followed by outrage and condemnation of the Cons if they didn't comply.

Black is just the cause du jour.. Next week, it will be Harpers deliberate funding cuts to the Society for the Preservation of Leeks.. Not a really popular cause, but their followers are bound and determined.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Black is a convicted felon, but then our justice and immigration system are pretty slack on criminals. Commit a crime, you're not ruled out from living here. And he even denounced his Canadian citizenship. Became his lordship, thanks to the monarchy and runs back to Canada. I wonder what his views on the monarchy and England are now.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Someone said he was born in Canada so he should be able to re-apply, Nonsense, we are critical of those who come from the Middle East and take out citizenship and leave, this is no different.

Actually it is a lot different and pretty much the opposite. Generally speaking, people are critical of citizens of convenience, those who take Canadian citizenship and choose not to reside in or pay taxes to Canada but expect the benefits of citizenship. Black, as much of an ass as he has been, did not seek to take advantage of the country of his birth in that way.

He chose to leave to become British so he could become a member of the House of Lords. In short he sold out his citizenship for personal gain.

Well, he was still a subject of our Head of State. The Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain is also the Queen of Canada. This one seems a little hazy to me at best.

The Conservatives tried unsuccessfully to mock Mulcair for having dual citizenship, and they want to open their arms wide to this guy. Incidentally at least Mulcair never gave up his citizenship, he is still a Canadian.

Black isn't announcing any intention of seeking public office, just that he wishes to return and live in the country of his birth.

Black on the other hand is a Canadian of convenience. He is a disgrace and a convict, convicted of commercial crimes in the United States. Since when did the defenders of our boarders the Tories, start letting in convicted criminals?
The dog and pony show in Ottawa continues.

I addressed the "Canadian of Convenience" part above. He IS a convict, but that didn't stop our gov'ts in the past from allowing hordes of others in under the guise of refugee status or other compassionate grounds. If we're willing to stick by trash like the Khadr clan, I don't see how we can deny someone who was born here and spent decades as a productive member of our society.

He's an arrogant asshole; he's a convicted criminal; but unfortunately he's ours much more so than anyone else's, so you may as well stop frothing at the mouth and hope he can pay taxes again!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
At least it'll take our minds off the F35 for a few days

Yes - I was reading the fiction part today - you know Govt Announcements - It appears that not only the PBO was wrong on the numbers but it is implied that the Auditor General has to take his shoes off to count to 12, and his pants to get to 21.

I love the NP who in my opinion is the only paper that can hold Cons on a consistent basis to account.

Auditor-General, Parliamentary Budget Officer got it ‘wrong’ on F-35 costs: DND officials | News | National Post