Provincial Debt getting more expensive

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Provincial Debt getting more expensive

Ontario just had the credit rating placed on a Negative Watch. Quebec is in worse shape. NS and NB not far behind.
Down grades are coming.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...rating-that-thud-was-the-first-shoe-dropping/

Those of you in Ontario, or in the adjoining provinces and states, might have heard a sudden, ominous thud a little bit before 5 on Wednesday evening. That was the first shoe dropping.

Ratings agency Standard & Poor’s (S&P) has revised its outlook for Ontario’s economy. It had been projecting Ontario’s outlook as “stable.” On Wednesday, the day after Liberal minority government passed its budget with the help of the New Democrats (who politely abstained), the ratings giant announced that they now consider Ontario’s outlook to be “negative.”

“We believe the province’s main credit challenges include its continuing weak budgetary and debt metrics and its challenging cost-containment plan required to achieve budgetary balance by fiscal 2018,” S&P said in a statement. “Ontario’s large budgetary deficits since the recession have significantly boosted the debt burden. At the end of fiscal 2012, Ontario’s tax-supported debt totalled C$235-billion, representing 218% of consolidated operating revenues (or about 37% of GDP). This is a sharp increase from 161% of consolidated operating revenues in fiscal 2009.” It went on to add: “The negative outlook reflects our view that there is at least a one-in-three likelihood that we could lower the long-term rating one notch within two years.”

Someone should get Ontario Finance Minister a glass of warm milk. Dwight Duncan has admitted to the media before that the prospect of Ontario’s costs of borrowing suddenly spiking keep him awake at night. This won’t help.

The recent budget compromise struck with the NDP does show that the Liberals have some awareness of the hole they’ve dug for themselves. Though the government did agree to the NDP’s demand for a new surtax of an additional 2% of income tax on those Ontarians making more than $500,000 a year, Premier Dalton McGuinty refused NDP demands that the extra funds raised — expected to fall in the $470-million a year range — be used to accelerate Ontario’s return to balanced budgets. The Premier has said, backed up by Liberal press releases, that this will allow Ontario to return to fiscal balance sooner than had been planned.

Not exactly, or at least not by much. The plan was always to get Ontario’s books balanced by 2018, and with the new tax, they now expect to run a small surplus in that year. Ontario will still be reliant on borrowed money as late as 2017. And that assumes that the tax raises the maximum amount that it could. Just because the Premier has asked the province’s wealthiest citizens to do “just a little bit more” doesn’t mean they will. Most of these people are making big money because they’re smart with it.

S&P hasn’t cut Ontario’s credit rating yet, and does cite that the province is continuing to recover from the recession. But the decision to change the province’s outlook to negative is a clear expression of doubt that the Liberals, and at least one of the opposition parties, will be able to actually enact the austerity-ish measures required to meet their own goals. Goals, it should be pointed out, that the Liberals already think are the best they can hope for, or are at least willing to pursue.

Ontario might get lucky. A few more political compromises, and absolutely no further shocks to the global or provincial economy for the next five or six years, and things might go just fine. But Ontario’s Liberals have left the province in such a vulnerable state that even the smallest wrench dropped (or thrown) into the works could easily cause Ontario to miss its targets, triggering credit downgrades, throwing its plans further out of whack, leading to more downgrades…

The province would then face the grim reality of either real austerity — the kind that actually cuts spending, instead of slowing it down — or the kind of sudden and near-total fiscal unravelling that has beset Greece. Yes, it’s a very negative outlook indeed.

S&P puts Ontario on negative credit watch | Economy | News | Financial Post

One day after the governing Ontario Liberals survived a confidence vote on their 2012 budget, a ratings agency is calling into question the province’s fiscal plan.

Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services put the province of Ontario on negative credit watch Wednesday, raising the possibility of a punitive downgrade.

“We believe the province’s main credit challenges include its continuing weak budgetary and debt metrics and its challenging cost-containment plan required to achieve budgetary balance by fiscal 2018,” S&P said in a statement.

Earlier in the day, the province reinforced its commitment to the spending restraint proposed in the 2012 budget, which aims to eliminate the $15.3-billion provincial deficit over the next five years.

Within a challenging economic environment in Ontario limiting the opportunities to increase revenue, the government is focusing on reducing spending to tackle its deficit, which is more than three times larger than the budget shortfall of all other provinces combined.

S&P questioned the province’s ability to sufficiently control spending.

“Although we believe that the government’s fiscal plan is based on cautious near-term economic assumptions, its success is tied to significant savings measures that could prove challenging to achieve,” the agency said. “A downgrade could occur should we come to believe that the debt burden were to start trending materially above our current base-case scenario projections.”

Last December, Moody’s Investors Service issued a similar caution. Avoiding a downgrade, which could reduce investor confidence in debt issued by Ontario and would raise the province’s cost of financing, was part of the motivation and justification for cost cutting in the 2012 budget.

I would regard it more as a major warning that the credit ratings agencies are watching to see whether the spending restraint can be achieved,” said Doug Porter, deputy chief economist at BMO Capital Markets.

A substantial component of the government’s fiscal consolidation involves winning concessions on compensation for school boards, physicians and public servants.

“The government is dealing with some very strong unions,” Mr. Porter said. “That’s a legitimate concern.”

S&P pegged the odds of a downgrade within two years as “at least one in three.”

Last edited:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
European economy tanked, the US economy tanked.. Ontario, PQ and Maritimes..

I guess Globalization is working perfectly. (if you're China, or a big Investment firm playing with everyone retirement plans)

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
European economy tanked, the US economy tanked.. Ontario, PQ and Maritimes..

I guess Globalization is working perfectly. (if you're China, or a big Investment firm playing with everyone retirement plans)

Are you really going to blame the US, Europe and the global economy for Ontario's present circumstance?.. Hell it was only a few months ago that McGuinty was blaming the petro-dollar, so, which is it to be?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Are you really going to blame the US, Europe and the global economy for Ontario's present circumstance?.. Hell it was only a few months ago that McGuinty was blaming the petro-dollar, so, which is it to be?

Globalization.. McGuinty was blaming the petro-dollar is just stupid. The manufacturing base is gone..

Domtar Inc. is cutting 1800 jobs and closing - $25 to $35hr jobs.. good paying jobs. Plant closed and moved to the USA. This is happening all across Ontario.

Hey, but that's O.K. when I called up DirecTV for support, I noticed a slight "A-Boot" in her pronunciation of ABOUT.. LOL

Of course it's one of those high paying $8hr jobs that replaced those other jobs that are in the USA now. Well, the good news, they spoke English.. lol

Latest manufacturing closures and companies moving to south.

• Topways Tech Corp
    130 St Augustine Dr, St Catharines, Canada
    All Other Plastics Product Manufacturing

• Magnacap Inc

55 Webster Rd, Kitchener, Canada

• Plastiques Berry Canada Inc

2250 South Service Rd W, Oakville, Canada

• Pano Cap (Canada) Limited

55 Webster Rd, Kitchener, Canada

• Apc Products Limited

38 Lorne Ave, Brampton, Canada

• Kwik Lok Ltd

176 Sheldon Dr, Cambridge, Canada

Closure of Caterpillar plant signals change for Canadian manufacturing

https://www.google.ca/search?q=manu....,cf.osb&fp=cd205f5ee1312dca&biw=1600&bih=750

Well we have to compete in the Global world now..

I'm telling you, corporations will not be happy until everyone is working for a $1 a day.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
S&P downgrades Ontario’s credit outlook

McSquinty's legacy.

Ontario’s credit outlook has been cut to negative by another major rating agency just as the Liberals announced the deficit will shrink faster and disappear sooner thanks to the NDP’s “tax-the-rich” scheme in the revamped budget.

Standard & Poor’s said Wednesday that the move — following a similar step by Moody’s in December — reflects concerns about “the minority legislature’s ability to meet what we view as challenging cost containment targets in the next one to two years.”

While Ontario’s credit rating on $235 billion in debt remains steady at AA, the negative outlook is a warning sign that the government must succeed in a public sector pay freeze along with other cuts to avoid a credit downgrade within two years.

Finance Minister Dwight Duncan said he “welcomes” the outlook change because it underscores the need for restraint as the government negotiates with doctors, teachers and other public servants.

more good news:

Canada News: S&P downgrades Ontario

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Re: S&P downgrades Ontario’s credit outlook

McSquinty's legacy.

Ontario’s credit outlook has been cut to negative by another major rating agency just as the Liberals announced the deficit will shrink faster and disappear sooner thanks to the NDP’s “tax-the-rich” scheme in the revamped budget.

Standard & Poor’s said Wednesday that the move — following a similar step by Moody’s in December — reflects concerns about “the minority legislature’s ability to meet what we view as challenging cost containment targets in the next one to two years.”

While Ontario’s credit rating on $235 billion in debt remains steady at AA, the negative outlook is a warning sign that the government must succeed in a public sector pay freeze along with other cuts to avoid a credit downgrade within two years.

Finance Minister Dwight Duncan said he “welcomes” the outlook change because it underscores the need for restraint as the government negotiates with doctors, teachers and other public servants.

more good news:

Canada News: S&P downgrades Ontario

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/c...2-provincial-debt-getting-more-expensive.html
Late.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Re: S&P downgrades Ontario’s credit outlook

I await the modded thread beheading and shall take it like a man. :lol:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Hey, but that's O.K. when I called up DirecTV for support, I noticed a slight "A-Boot" in her pronunciation of ABOUT.. LOL

Let me see if I got this straight.

You're complaining about businesses closing up shop and moving to the US, while you're talking about using a US company for your television provider? Shouldn't you be using Bell or Rogers or Shaw?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Let me see if I got this straight.

You're complaining about businesses closing up shop and moving to the US, while you're talking about using a US company for your television provider? Shouldn't you be using Bell or Rogers or Shaw?

I'd like to know about the logic of calling a company's customer support line for a pirated signal.

Seems like a dumb ass move to me, lol.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Globalization.. McGuinty was blaming the petro-dollar is just stupid. The manufacturing base is gone..

Domtar Inc. is cutting 1800 jobs and closing - $25 to $35hr jobs.. good paying jobs. Plant closed and moved to the USA. This is happening all across Ontario.

Of course it's one of those high paying $8hr jobs that replaced those other jobs that are in the USA now. Well, the good news, they spoke English.. lol

Latest manufacturing closures and companies moving to south.

Well we have to compete in the Global world now..

I'm telling you, corporations will not be happy until everyone is working for a $1 a day.

The situation of all of these companies leaving is the result of a number of factors, and analysis of those factors is the issue that needs to be reviewed.

The provincial gvt in Ontario needs to really look at the factors and respond accordingly. In my view, raising taxes - or anything that will impact the cost of doing business - will harm the economy further.

Caterpillar is a great example of costs in perspective of 'relative economies'. They moved across the border because the labour rate was 1/2 of what they expected to pay in Ontario.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The situation of all of these companies leaving is the result of a number of factors, and analysis of those factors is the issue that needs to be reviewed.

The provincial gvt in Ontario needs to really look at the factors and respond accordingly. In my view, raising taxes - or anything that will impact the cost of doing business - will harm the economy further.

Caterpillar is a great example of costs in perspective of 'relative economies'. They moved across the border because the labour rate was 1/2 of what they expected to pay in Ontario.

That is the unfortunate truth. Muscle jobs will go where muscle is cheap. The $35/hr sawmill jobs in BC are going to the $14 washington state. So much for the NDPs workers nirvana.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
There are certain groups that have the idea that they can exist in an insulated bubble, sheltered from all of the negatives in the outside world, but reap all of the benefits from competing in a global economy.

Sadly, life just don't work that way

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
There are certain groups that have the idea that they can exist in an insulated bubble, sheltered from all of the negatives in the outside world, but reap all of the benefits from competing in a global economy.

Sadly, life just don't work that way

We call them government employees.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
So much for your arguments about equalization....

My argument is entirely supported by my previous comments.

The equalization system seeks to sustain activity in areas that are not competitive enough to justify their own, internal economic needs... Really man, do you still call you mother and father up to get a weekly allowance because you can't afford your lifestyle?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's nice to know our 20% stake in Government Motors is being used to fund offshore factories. You get what you pay for I guess?