PM Economic Performance Comparison

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
But we're supposed to believe that it's not Harper's fault that he and his gang of crooks are spending more than they have in revenue.

Actually, you're supposed to believe that it's CPC cuts and tax policy that's reducing the deficit and not the pillaging of resources.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yes, it's having a tremendous effect, working very well, as we can all see.

:lol:

In all fairness, they'll close up the budget some time in the next few years. A couple of years after they promised for the election, but who's counting. :)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The mother of all interactive graphs is here.

A comparison of the surpluses and deficits along with all revenue and expenditures.

It's interesting to see how a conservative affects the budget vs. a liberal.

CBC News - Interactive: Canada's deficits and surpluses, 1963-2010

I would not hold any government responsible for economic growth since that is not entirely in their control, and sometimes the benefit of their policy decisions show only decades later.

Where I do hold a government's feet to the grinder in short-term economic measures though is on the following points:

1. government debt,
2. national inflation, and
3. the national Bank rate.

These three points are entirely within a government's control, at least within reason, and the government has indeed failed on the inflation front at least.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I was really supportive of the notion that he didn't tax and spend, especially on the front when he was fighting the election - he didn't promise the sun, moon and stars for votes.

I hated him as minister of finance in '97 when he dropped the capital gains exemption and cost me a bundle in taxes that year, so there is no way I would have voted for his party when he ran for P.M.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I hated him as minister of finance in '97 when he dropped the capital gains exemption and cost me a bundle in taxes that year, so there is no way I would have voted for his party when he ran for P.M.

I don't know if we should blame Martin or Chretin for that.. Let's not forget that Chretin ruled the party with an iron fist during his tenure, I expect that the decision had more to do Chretin than it did Martin... But, I'm just speculating here

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I don't know if we should blame Martin or Chretin for that.. Let's not forget that Chretin ruled the party with an iron fist during his tenure, I expect that the decision had more to do Chretin than it did Martin... But, I'm just speculating here

And Martin did not have it in him to sit as an independent? He accepted responsibility by accepting the position and voting for it.

That said, I still agree that if you have to raise taxes to pay the debt, then you do what you have to do.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I was really supportive of the notion that he didn't tax and spend, especially on the front when he was fighting the election - he didn't promise the sun, moon and stars for votes.

Like Bruce Springsteen I think he is way overrated. He balanced the budget on the backs of all Provinces, by downloading costs, cutting transfer payments, gutting the already meager military budget. He benefited greatly from a low dollar and Free Trade, a large part of his revenue stream came from the hated GST and I don't buy that he was unaware of what was happening in Quebec with Adscam. He was the bloody Finance Minister, he either knew and didn't care or was inept.

I will credit him for one thing as PM.

He appointed Army General Rick Hillier as CDS, which was a refreshing move from Chretien appointing a bunch of Air Force "Yes Men."

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Financial matters are usualy recommended by the finance minister...
The capital gains exemption was/is there to help new businesses get started and also to encourage investors...
So that it doesn't seem reasonable that with the inflation rate in the '80s and '90s that the capital gains exemption should be lowered,....I'm sure that it didn't help the economic douwnturn in this century......

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
He balanced the budget on the backs of all Provinces, by downloading costs, cutting transfer payments, gutting the already meager military budget.

One might make the argument that the budget was overly burdened due to those factors (excepting the military).

He benefited greatly from a low dollar and Free Trade, a large part of his revenue stream came from the hated GST and I don't buy that he was unaware of what was happening in Quebec with Adscam.

Ya can't fault Martin for taking advantage of the lower dollar or NAFTA.

As for Adscam, ya, he must have known; but considering the kind of hold that Chretin had, what could Martin have done that would have been different from any of the MPs that knew about the fraud?

Financial matters are usualy recommended by the finance minister...
The capital gains exemption was/is there to help new businesses get started and also to encourage investors...

The finance Minister makes the recommendations based on the policy set forth by the party. The 2 elements are directly tied so in the end, the recommendations are a function of an already pre-determined destiny.

.. And yes, everyone took a bath on the capital gains changes.,, Believe me, you are preaching to the choir on that one.

So that it doesn't seem reasonable that with the inflation rate in the '80s and '90s that the capital gains exemption should be lowered,....I'm sure that it didn't help the economic douwnturn in this century......

I'm not making excuses, but there is the issue of managed growth as well... Take a look at what happened with real estate in the US - I think they could have dealt with the issue in another way, but the possibility does exist.

Besides, it's a real crowd-pleaser when a gvt tries to stick it to the middle and upper income earners; gets a lot of votes with some demographics.