The ‘Happy warrior’, Mark Steyn

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
In a happier world, Mark Steyn would be spinning Peggy Lee records on a late-night radio show, not cracking jokes about America’s fiscally suicidal deficit, Europe’s culturally suicidal immigration and Canada’s “profoundly wicked” human rights legal regime.

It is a coy sentiment, because someone would surely give him that job. It is hard to imagine any media gig, however, that would not be a step down for the cross-platform media star, an arts critic turned syndicated political columnist with a busy TV schedule, a blog that touts him as a “one-man global content provider,” and a stage show that comes to Toronto next week with a gleefully cheeky vow to violate the human rights of all in attendance.

To red state America, Mr. Steyn is also Rush Limbaugh’s occasional talk radio stand-in, not quite as a replacement (as if), but rather a British-accented opposite. Part of Mr. Limbaugh’s appeal is his tendency to fly off the handle and say something outrageously unfiltered. But Mark Steyn is a right-wing zealot in exquisite control of himself and his words.

“I have freedom of speech. I don’t need Pierre Trudeau, or Mr. Chrétien as justice minister to give it to me,” he said in an interview, mocking the notion that fundamental human rights were graciously bestowed on Canadians by the “father of our nation,” 30 years ago this week.

more

Mark Steyn interview: The