Robbie says no to Priders again

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Mayor Rob Ford will once again go to his family cottage and not the Pride parade on the Canada Day weekend.

At a Wednesday morning event, in response to a reporter's question, Ford said: “No, I'm not attending Pride,” and cited his family cottage tradition.

Asked if he would attend any of the many events in the June 22 to July 1 Pride festival, Ford shrugged, said “I don't know . . . day by day.”

An official invite had been extended, but the mayor initially refused to say whether he would attend.

Ford seemed more open to the idea in December, telling CP24 “everything depends on my schedule . . . if I can make it, I’ll make it.”

Last summer, Ford faced intense public backlash for skipping the annual Pride festival. Instead, the mayor spent Canada Day with his family at the cottage. This was despite encouragement from Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke, as well as former mayor Mel Lastman, to attend.

In early February, Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, the only openly gay member of council, wrote to Ford, offering to throw him a reception with “a respectful and representative group” should he want to attend this year’s celebration.

Toronto News: Mayor Rob Ford refuses to attend Pride parade - thestar.com