Minority Liberals could fall as soon as next week

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
If only.

Ontarians could be plunged into a second provincial election in six months next Tuesday.

Government House Leader John Milloy said Monday that the minority Liberals would call the budget vote on April 24 even though no deal has yet been forged with the New Democrats.

“Behind closed doors, we’re talking about the details,” said Milloy, repeatedly refusing to discuss what concessions the Liberals are willing to make to secure NDP support.

“I’m not going to sit here and cherry-pick what we like and what we don’t,” he said.

With the Progressive Conservatives vowing to vote against the budget, the Liberals have been forced into negotiating only with the NDP.

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath is pushing for a wealth surtax on incomes over $500,000 a year to pay for a cut on the 8 per cent provincial portion on the 13 per cent harmonized sales tax, preserve 4,000 daycare spaces, and give a 1 per cent increase in benefits to needy disabled people.

Milloy blamed the Tories for ramping up election fever by holding nomination meetings, but insisted the Liberals were not making similar preparations.

“I’m not aware of any,” he said.

The Tories still owe $6.2 million from the Oct. 6 election and senior PC officials have confided that they doubt there will be another campaign this spring because the Liberals and NDP will make a deal.

Enjoying a surge in the polls, the New Democrats are under pressure from some labour unions angered by the Liberals plans for a public-sector wage freeze to take a harder line.

The Liberals have 52 seats plus Speaker Dave Levac in the 107-member Legislature to 37 for the Tories and 17 for the NDP.

Canada News: Ontario budget: Minority Liberals could fall as soon as next week - thestar.com

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The Liberals are desperate in Ontario, but not as desperate as they are in BC.
Remember they are different though, BC Liberals are the old Socred Party in
disguise yes a Coalition of Federal Liberals and Conservatives.
In Ontario they are Liberal by definition. These people are going to do what
they can to get support from the NDP, and if New Democrats are smart they
will not take the bait. Let this government fall even if it means the Tories taking
over, as both their opponents will both be tainted by the mess.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The Liberals are desperate in Ontario, but not as desperate as they are in BC.
Remember they are different though, BC Liberals are the old Socred Party in
disguise yes a Coalition of Federal Liberals and Conservatives.
In Ontario they are Liberal by definition. These people are going to do what
they can to get support from the NDP, and if New Democrats are smart they
will not take the bait. Let this government fall even if it means the Tories taking
over, as both their opponents will both be tainted by the mess.

I still remember in Ontario when Miller of the Conservatives won a minority government but Peterson of the Liberals with the support of Rae of the NDPs formed the government.

It’s just too bad that Horwath of the NDPs can’t make a deal because whoever forces an election will lose seats.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
I'm lighting candles, crossing fingers and buying statues of buddha, hoping beyond hope this comes to pass. Hopefully Ontario can rise above it's "enclave" mentality for the time required.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'm lighting candles, crossing fingers and buying statues of buddha, hoping beyond hope this comes to pass. Hopefully Ontario can rise above it's "enclave" mentality for the time required.

I was hoping with this minority government, that the Liberals would have realized they need to make some democratic concessions to remain in power. If they can't agree with the NDP, then we might see a minority Conservative government.

Which might just mean a Liberal-NDP coalition.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
With Ontario budget in limbo, Duncan admits Liberals divided over NDP tax proposal

With Ontario budget in limbo, Duncan admits Liberals divided over NDP tax proposal - The Globe and Mail

“I think it’s fair to say opinion within our group is divided on that issue,”

"NDP Leader Andrea Horwath has called for a new tax bracket for people who earn more than $500,000 a year. Such a measure would raise revenues of $570-million"

The opposition need to be held to account,” Mr. Milloy said. “They may be forcing an election that nobody wants.”

The late Jack Layton took down the Liberal minority government because he could not get a deal and when the federal Conservatives got the minority they told him to Jack off.

Andrea Horwath might want to reflect on this.

No one wants another election in Ontario

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Worry not Liberalman.

Ontario budget: Election chances ‘remote,’ insists McGuinty

Insisting the chances of a snap election next week are “remote,” Premier Dalton McGuinty says he is working feverishly with the NDP on a deal to pass the minority Liberals’ budget.

“We are in the ballpark. We’re all going to have to give a little,” McGuinty told reporters Tuesday.

Praising NDP Leader Andrea Horwath for working with the government to avert a second election in just six months, the premier said he was “disappointed” Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak has refused to participate in budget negotiations to keep the government afloat.

McGuinty noted Ontarians do not want “an unnecessary, expensive election” that could cost $100 million.

Still, he remained reluctant to embrace Horwath’s package of demands, which he said would add $1 billion to a deficit that sits at $15.2 billion.

The New Democrats want a wealth surtax on incomes over $500,000 a year to pay for a cut on the 8 per cent provincial portion on the 13 per cent harmonized sales tax, save 4,000 daycare spaces, and give a 1 per cent increase in disability benefits.

In the 107-member House, there are 52 Liberal MPPs — excluding Speaker Dave Levac — and 37 Tories and 17 New Democrats.

That means the Grits need at least two opposition members to vote with them next Tuesday when the budget bill is called.

Canada News: Ontario budget: Election chances

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
McGuinty displays at every turn he has absolutely no idea of what "Ontarians want". For him to bet heavily on Ontarians not wanting an expensive election would be folly as we might figure it would be worth the cost to be rid of him and the Liberals once and for all.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If only.

Ontarians could be plunged into a second provincial election in six months next Tuesday.

Government House Leader John Milloy said Monday that the minority Liberals would call the budget vote on April 24 even though no deal has yet been forged with the New Democrats.

“Behind closed doors, we’re talking about the details,” said Milloy, repeatedly refusing to discuss what concessions the Liberals are willing to make to secure NDP support.

“I’m not going to sit here and cherry-pick what we like and what we don’t,” he said.

With the Progressive Conservatives vowing to vote against the budget, the Liberals have been forced into negotiating only with the NDP.

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath is pushing for a wealth surtax on incomes over $500,000 a year to pay for a cut on the 8 per cent provincial portion on the 13 per cent harmonized sales tax, preserve 4,000 daycare spaces, and give a 1 per cent increase in benefits to needy disabled people.

Milloy blamed the Tories for ramping up election fever by holding nomination meetings, but insisted the Liberals were not making similar preparations.

“I’m not aware of any,” he said.

The Tories still owe $6.2 million from the Oct. 6 election and senior PC officials have confided that they doubt there will be another campaign this spring because the Liberals and NDP will make a deal.

Enjoying a surge in the polls, the New Democrats are under pressure from some labour unions angered by the Liberals plans for a public-sector wage freeze to take a harder line.

The Liberals have 52 seats plus Speaker Dave Levac in the 107-member Legislature to 37 for the Tories and 17 for the NDP.

Canada News: Ontario budget: Minority Liberals could fall as soon as next week - thestar.com

Any responsible minority party always establishes a majority coalition.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Was at a meeting at Queen's Park (completely unrelated to the current political shenanigans) and the bells were ringing and MPP's were running all over the place. What a circus.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Something tells me Whodat would go it alone no matter what the repercussion.

Oh, I was not pointing fingers at any party in Particular. The Conservatives were as irresponsible federally too, and honestly I have a feeling some new Democrats would eqqually repeat the same mistake.

Now the conservatives appear to have benefitted from their hardball tactics federally, but it's not good for politics in Canada, as it merely ups the anti and makes it far more aggressively competitive, not good for national unity.