NDP Policies - Platforms - Against the Clarity Act

Will the NDP opposition to the Clarity Act cost them in the ROC

• Total voters

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Mulcair cannot change Party Policy over night.

One that will cost the Party dearly in the ROC is their opposition to the Clarity Act - Upheld by the SCOC

Link to some Party Policy

NDP Platform: Practical First Steps

Clarity Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Question asked in the 95 Referendum - Is this a clear question?

The motivation behind the Clarity Act was largely based on the near separation vote of the 1995 Quebec referendum, in which the people of Quebec voted against the sovereignty option by a small margin (50.58% to 49.42%). Controversy surrounded the ambiguity and wording of the ballot question. In French, the question on the ballot asked:

"Acceptez-vous que le Québec devienne souverain, après avoir offert formellement au Canada un nouveau partenariat économique et politique, dans le cadre du projet de loi sur l'avenir du Québec et de l'entente signée le 12 juin 1995?"

In English, the question on the ballot asked:

"Do you agree that Quebec should become sovereign after having made a formal offer to Canada for a new economic and political partnership within the scope of the bill respecting the future of Quebec and of the agreement signed on June 12, 1995?"

Stéphane Dion and the three lettersPrime Minister Chrétien appointed political scientist Stéphane Dion (first elected as Member of Parliament for the riding of Saint-Laurent–Cartierville in Montreal in 1996) as Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs in 1996. Dion would challenge Quebec sovereignist assertions about the legal validity of the 1995 Quebec referendum question in three open letters to Quebec Premier Lucien Bouchard and Quebec Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Jacques Brassard.[2][3][4]

In the first open letter, Dion challenged three assertions that Bouchard had made: that a unilateral declaration of independence is supported by international law, that a majority of "50% plus one" was a sufficient threshold for secession, and that international law would protect the territorial integrity of Quebec following a secession. Against the first assertion, Dion argued that the vast majority of international law experts "believe that the right to declare secession unilaterally does not belong to constituent entities of a democratic country such as Canada."[2] In regard to the simple majority argument, Dion argues that due to the momentous changes to Quebecers' lives that would result from secession, a simple majority that could disappear in the face of difficulties would be insufficient to ensure the political legitimacy of the sovereignist project. In regard to the territorial integrity of Quebec, Dion retorts that "there is neither a paragraph nor a line in international law that protects Quebec's territory but not Canada's. International experience demonstrates that the borders of the entity seeking independence can be called into question, sometimes for reasons based on democracy."[2]
In Dion's second open letter to Jacques Brassard, Quebec's intergovernmental affairs minister, Dion expands upon his earlier arguments against the territorial integrity of Quebec following secession by highlighting the inconsistency in the argument that Canada is divisible but Quebec is not. Secondly, Dion underscores that without recognition by the Government of Canada and when opposed by a strong minority of citizens, a unilateral declaration of independence faces much difficulty in gaining international recognition.[3]

In Dion's third open letter to Lucien Bouchard, he criticizes the Quebec premier for accepting some aspects of the Supreme Court ruling on Secession (such as the political obligation for the Government of Canada to negotiate secession following a clear expression of will from the people of Quebec) and not other sections of the ruling (such as the need for a clear majority on a clear question and the unconstitutionality of a unilateral declaration of independence). In regard to the ruling, Dion makes three claims: that the federal government has a role in the selection of the question and the level of support required for it to pass, that secession can only be achieved through negotiation rather than a "unilateral declaration of independence", and that the terms of negotiation could not be decided solely by the Government of Quebec.[4]

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...o-western-public-opinion-there-will-be-blood/

What has the NDP wrought with the election of Thomas Mulcair as the party’s new leader? There was likely great wailing and gnashing of teeth among Bloquistes on his elevation, so we can assume that this is good news for the re-election of federalists in Quebec.

But what of the rest of the country? An article Mr. Mulcair wrote for Policy Option magazine, entitled Tar Sands: Dirty Oil and the Future of the Country, suggests that the new NDP leader is an irresistible force about to crash into the immovable object of Western public opinion. And there will be blood.

In his inaugural press conference as leader on Sunday, Mr. Mulcair softened his language — referring to the “oil sands,” rather than the pejorative “tar sands” that has been his normal shorthand. But did not back away from his commitment to “internalize” environmental costs to help cure the “Dutch disease” that has, in his view, driven up the value of the Canadian dollar and destabilized the balanced economy of East and West.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Depends on if its an election issue or if separatism is even a large issue within Quebec in the next couple years.

Personally Im in favour of the Clarity Act but its not an issue that would influence my vote one way or another when there's no threat of a referendum.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Depends on if its an election issue or if separatism is even a large issue within Quebec in the next couple years.

Personally Im in favour of the Clarity Act but its not an issue that would influence my vote one way or another when there's no threat of a referendum.

Quebec voters are fickle as hell - The NDP are dropping - the Bloc is rising in the polls - The Liberals have a good chance of getting turfed in the next election by the PQ - And they will have a referendum.

The present PQ Leader wanted the question put off to farther in the future - Well the Lions nearly ate her bones and all. Poof a new position -

So If elected Marious will have a referendum. Possibly a year or 2 in the future but she will have it.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Agreed. Most people that waffle between parties do so because they are not in agreement with the parties platform. Die hard supporters are not going to change their vote. Wafflers will vote based on what they view as the most pressing issue. Nobody is talking Kweebeck sovereignty.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Agreed. Most people that waffle between parties do so because they are not in agreement with the parties platform. Die hard supporters are not going to change their vote. Wafflers will vote based on what they view as the most pressing issue. Nobody is talking Kweebeck sovereignty.

Then get familiar with a referendum, a confusing question coming because you are not following the Poltics in Que.

Then the BS begins.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
....a confusing question coming because you are not following the Poltics in Que.

I don't think the people that write the question know if I'm following Kweebeck politics or not, nor do I think they care.

As for the people of Kweebeck, sovereignty is not a high priority there. I hope the PQ do try and make it the defining issue come the next election.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I don't think the people that write the question know if I'm following Kweebeck politics or not, nor do I think they care.

As for the people of Kweebeck, sovereignty is not a high priority there. I hope the PQ do try and make it the defining issue come the next election.

Part of their Policy and Platform. Follow the politics - Now consider the shxtstrom raised when they hold a ref with their own question.

Look to the OP to see how confusing the question was, how it can be taken in a number of ways.

Now we have the NDP as Her Majesties Loyal Opposition stating they do not support parts or all of the Clarity Act

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
If people are worried about Quebec separating, then it would be a big deal.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Part of their Policy and Platform. Follow the politics - Now consider the shxtstrom raised when they hold a ref with their own question.

Look to the OP to see how confusing the question was, how it can be taken in a number of ways.

Now we have the NDP as Her Majesties Loyal Opposition stating they do not support parts or all of the Clarity Act

I'm well aware of those things. Where we disagree is that there is a referendum coming in the near future. There is not and the Dippers position on the clarity act will not sway voters towards or away from the party.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I'm well aware of those things. Where we disagree is that there is a referendum coming in the near future. There is not and the Dippers position on the clarity act will not sway voters towards or away from the party.

Both Libs and Cons will slam the NDP on this one. Hard and often. And it will cause seats to change hands.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Both Libs and Cons will slam the NDP on this one. Hard and often. And it will cause seats to change hands.

That is the Libs and Cons mistake to make. People care about the economy and health care. If the Dippers stick to that and the other two parties focus on the Dippers position on the clarity act, the Dippers will clean up. Look, you have to accept the fact that it isn't as big an issue to most people as it is to you.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It is time we had a vote to see if anyone wants Quebec to stay in Canada. Far too much valuable time is wasted on this. They want to leave, fine. Take their share of the national debt and leave. NO Canadian dollar. NO Canadian military. No Canadian pension plan. No Canadian passport.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It is time we had a vote to see if anyone wants Quebec to stay in Canada. Far too much valuable time is wasted on this. They want to leave, fine. Take their share of the national debt and leave. NO Canadian dollar. NO Canadian military. No Canadian pension plan. No Canadian passport.

Like some of the first nations, they believe they can be their own nation and continue to have all the benefits of the Canadian nation. How many Kweebeckers do you think voted for sovereignty believing they would maintain their Canadian citizenship? If we are going to give it to the first nations population, I see no reason why we shouldn't give it to Kweebeckers as well.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Like some of the first nations, they believe they can be their own nation and continue to have all the benefits of the Canadian nation. How many Kweebeckers do you think voted for sovereignty believing they would maintain their Canadian citizenship? If we are going to give it to the first nations population, I see no reason why we shouldn't give it to Kweebeckers as well.

And I see no reason in your post

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
And I see no reason in your post

No doubt. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Show me a poll where anything close half of Kweebeckers want sovereignty and I might buy your arguments. A quick google of "support for Kweebeck sovereignty" and one can find a story from six months ago that suggests less than a quarter of Kweebeckers want sovereignty. The PQ is not foolish enough to try and go down that road again, unless they think they have a serious chance of winning. You haven't even tried to show that this is so therefore, the reality is that there is no reason in your posts.