Calming the furor over equalization

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Calming the furor over equalization

In the last decade, equalization has attracted significant attention from politicians, commentators and think tanks. Federal and provincial government commissions have shed considerable political light on the program. And elected officials across the country have been quick to voice their concerns about the impact of equalization on their respective provinces. In doing so, they have ratcheted up the conflict surrounding the program.

Equalization became highly politicized in the mid-2000s and it has subsequently proven difficult to tone down the rhetoric and bickering. Although vigorous national debates on equalization are necessary from a policy standpoint, the political showdowns that took place during the Martin and Harper minority governments only exacerbated regional tensions.

These quarrels stymie attempts at calm, neutral discussions of the future of equalization. Claims and counter-claims abound — often backed by little or misleading evidence. Thankfully, there is way the discord can be mitigated. Other federations have made concerted efforts to de-politicize their equalization programs through arm’s length governance agencies, and they seem to work.

In Australia, for example, an arm’s length body called the Commonwealth Grants Commission (CGC) administers equalization. The CGC is comprised of respected, non-partisan experts; operates under broad terms of reference set by the Commonwealth government; and makes recommendations for the appropriate redistribution of wealth. The Commonwealth government retains final decision-making power but the CGC’s recommendations are generally adopted because they come with a seal of neutral fiscal expertise.

As a direct consequence of this institutional setting, the Commonwealth government plays a minimal role in equalization. In other words, equalization in Australia is as de-politicized a program of territorial redistribution as can be found in any federation. As a result, conflict over equalization is rare and, when it occurs at all, generates little political traction.

The Australian model served as the template for the development of both the South African and Indian approaches to equalization, though in practice, the differences of these countries’ federal systems influence the operation of their arms-length governance agencies.

These experiences are instructive for Canada. It would be naive to assume we could replicate the effects exactly. Because Canadian provinces have more politically salient identities than Australian states, we have to be realistic about how this model would translate to the Canadian context. Given the level of existing regional tension, keeping provincial perspectives out of the arm’s length agency’s work would be tricky.

But as it happens, Canada has a history of using the arm’s length agency model with considerable success. For example, the CPP Investment Board was established during the last major reform of the Canada Pension Plan in the mid- to late-1990s. It has since invested over $140-billion on behalf of Canadian pensioners with little political interference. The Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) has similarly been providing expert and neutral health-care information and guidance to Canadian governments since 1994. Arm’s length governance is compatible with the Canadian policy context.

Trusting expert, independent third parties with information gathering and governance responsibilities could improve the current program in a number of ways. It could provide expert legitimacy to policy decisions, reduce territorial conflict, increase the transparency of equalization and clarify accountability.

Equalization plays a unique role in redistributing wealth across the country. Each and every province has a vested interest in the outcomes of the program — precisely the reason why a neutral arbiter could help cut through the conflicts and the politics that make the program so confusing and misunderstood. Although we can’t take the politics out of equalization entirely, we can do a better job reducing the level of territorial conflict surrounding it.

Daniel Béland & André Lecours: Calming the furor over equalization | National Post

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Makes sense to me, but I think a person who is dead set against equalization doesn't really care who is the one making the decisions. The idea of taxes being spent to improve society seems to have somehow morphed into the idea of someone eating someone else's lunch these days.

Germany also has an equalization system, and they have ever since the reunification. For Germans, Berlin is the logical capital, but the USSR left East Germany in such a mess that the equalizations were completely necessary. These things always create friction, in both directions. But if national unity means anything, one wants the state of things here to be the state of things there.

If I'm from Alberta, I don't want to die just because I had my heart attack during a business trip to Saskatchewan and their health coverage is too different.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Well there is no doubt the system can be improved upon. But there also has to be better control over what the free money is spent on. The $7 day daycare in Quebec courtesy of the west does not go over very well when it is our money that pays for it.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Well there is no doubt the system can be improved upon. But there also has to be better control over what the free money is spent on. The $7 day daycare in Quebec courtesy of the west does not go over very well when it is our money that pays for it.

Yeah, but seeing as the equalization payments are there so that the total tax pool the government has to draw on per capita is equal... what is the Albertan government spending your taxes on?

Don't worry either, I'm in the Netherlands. The government here spends all my money to pump water out of the half of the country that is below sea level.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Today I learned that they spent millions so some guy could research the economic possibilities of building a 2km high mountain here.
:lol: That's a lot of mass for a place that's sinking! Reminds me of trying to build large mounds from wet sand on the beach!

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Hmm, I drove past a mountain of garbage, outside of Augusta, ME, along I-95. It was huge!

See, slap some dirt on it, grow some grass, and in time people will forget it's Garbage Mountain, and just call it the mountain. That's what the Dutch people did with the sea. They should do that in PEI with any equalization payments they get: make more PEI.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

... And herein lies the problem with the equalization formula; there is no stipulations against using the proceeds (directly or indirectly) on programs that are outside the intent of the program. One would think that the $7/day childcare in Que would be standard across the nation, but as we know, it isn't.

That said, what exactly is the money being spent on?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
See, slap some dirt on it, grow some grass, and in time people will forget it's Garbage Mountain, and just call it the mountain. That's what the Dutch people did with the sea. They should do that in PEI with any equalization payments they get: make more PEI.

Lol, too much nimby for that here, probably not good for the fish either :lol:

... And herein lies the problem with the equalization formula; there is no stipulations against using the proceeds (directly or indirectly) on programs that are outside the intent of the program.

What is the intent of the program, that cheap child care is outside of?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
... And herein lies the problem with the equalization formula; there is no stipulations against using the proceeds (directly or indirectly) on programs that are outside the intent of the program. One would think that the $7/day childcare in Que would be standard across the nation, but as we know, it isn't.

That said, what exactly is the money being spent on?

It usually doesn't make any sense to attach strings to this kind of thing.

"Oh, I can't spend this money on guns? Ok, well I will pull the money I was going to spend on healthcare out and spend that on guns and spend all your money on healthcare."

Which is what seems to happen in Africa.

I also really want to know what they are spending the money on.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yeah, but seeing as the equalization payments are there so that the total tax pool the government has to draw on per capita is equal... what is the Albertan government spending your taxes on?

Don't worry either, I'm in the Netherlands. The government here spends all my money to pump water out of the half of the country that is below sea level.

Alberta is not a have not province. Therefore they do not get any of my money.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
What is the intent of the program, that cheap child care is outside of?

.. To provide a level playing field for access to, and the provision of services.

The key word in the program is equalization... How is Que's gvt sponsored $7/day childcare program equal to Manitoba's $20-30/day program?

It usually doesn't make any sense to attach strings to this kind of thing.

"Oh, I can't spend this money on guns? Ok, well I will pull the money I was going to spend on healthcare out and spend that on guns and spend all your money on healthcare."

Which is what seems to happen in Africa.

I also really want to know what they are spending the money on.

Knowing what the books look like is very important, and not just for the equalization program.

In part, I see one of the issues is that some provinces treat the equalization payments as a form of revenue rather than as a supplement... It's easier to live (and budget) beyond your means when you know that there will be a cheque in the mail.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
.. To provide a level playing field for access to, and the provision of services.

The key word in the program is equalization... How is Que's gvt sponsored $7/day childcare program equal to Manitoba's $20-30/day program?

Yes, but Equalization payments are unconditional. Provinces are free to spend their money however they see fit, according to their own priorities. Manitoba could offer $7 per day childcare. They obviously have other priorities.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Makes sense to me, but I think a person who is dead set against equalization doesn't really care who is the one making the decisions. The idea of taxes being spent to improve society seems to have somehow morphed into the idea of someone eating someone else's lunch these days.

Exactly.

It makes complete sense.

Harper will never do it.