NDP drug shortage motion gets government's support

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
NDP drug shortage motion gets government's support

The House of Commons unanimously supported a motion from the NDP on Wednesday that would require drug companies to report any planned production disruptions to Health Canada.

Conservative MPs, including Prime Minister Stephen Harper, sided with the NDP and the Liberals when the non-binding motion was put to a vote Wednesday.

Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq still favours the current voluntary reporting system but her office said it hasn't closed the door on bringing in regulations in the future.

Steve Outhouse, a spokesman for Aglukkaq, said if voluntary reporting doesn't prove to be effective, Health Canada could consider introducing a mandatory system to force companies to keep governments informed.

The motion from the NDP called on the government to develop a nationwide strategy to anticipate and respond to drug shortages, require companies to report planned disruptions in production and expedite the safety reviews of medications.

NDP drug shortage motion gets government's support - Politics - CBC News

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Sometimes a pearl is found...

That's two pearls in less than a week if you recall that whole Robocall/Elections Canada thing.

If they can continue pumping out unanimously approved legislation, it won't matter who the majority is.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
That's two pearls in less than a week if you recall that whole Robocall/Elections Canada thang.

You said somewhere that you might consider switching your vote from NDP to Liberal....There juct might be hope for you as you mature and consider moving further right into the light;-):smile:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You said somewhere that you might consider switching your vote from NDP to Liberal....There juct might be hope for you as you mature and consider moving further right into the light;-):smile:

How much is Bear paying you to do his dirty work for him? :lol:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
His answer to that would probably be .......

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
More like the dark side. Was your daddy's name Darth?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That's two pearls in less than a week if you recall that whole Robocall/Elections Canada thing.

If they can continue pumping out unanimously approved legislation, it won't matter who the majority is.

It is irrelevant who comes up with legislation. If it is good then politicians should vote for it.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It is irrelevant who comes up with legislation. If it is good then politicians should vote for it.

It's definitely relevant in the context of which party is proactively enacting legislation for the good of all Canadians. In the game of 'who cares most', it's important that the governing party makes the best impression if they want to keep their majority.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It's definitely relevant in the context of which party is proactively enacting legislation for the good of all Canadians. In the game of 'who cares most', it's important that the governing party makes the best impression if they want to keep their majority.

Party politics is rarely in the public interest.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Hmmm...well I agree with the overall concept....it is nice to have people follow in the path that I trod....although I admit I completely skipped the Liberals when I took up voting again after my divorce from the NDP.........and went straight to the neo-Liberals, Mulroney's PC Party. THAT lasted all of one election.........before I discovered the Reform Party.

:)

It would be most amusing to see the Liberals actually elect a leader of note, one sane enough to keep a strong military, live up to our international commitments to our allies, ignore the UN when they arre being useless, dismantle the worst aspects of the Nanny State, be fiscally responsible, legalize marijuana, kill mandatory sentencing, and STAY THE HELL OUT OF MY GUN LOCKER!!!!

Mentalfloss and I could wind up voting for the same party....

:) The Horror! The Horror!