Huntingdon City Council Calls French Only Policy Racist

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
Looks like Huntingdon Quebec is engaging in civil disobedience. The alleged crime commited by the town of Huntingdon involves sending out bilingual correspondance (English and French) to it's citizens.

Not sure that this town will accomplish anything by breaking the law. What will work is exposing this policy at the international level (ie United Nations).

Huntingdon refuses to end bilingual communications

willqccan

Nominee Member
Aug 7, 2011
Gatineau
According to wikipedia, 56,04% of the people there speak only French and 38,22% only English. It IS a bilingual community, why should they not defend their two languages?

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
kudos to the mayor. a true Canadian. he should get the Order of Canada as a matter of course.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
That's just stupid. I don't think they understand the definition of "racism". Language is not a factor in racism.
But anyway, I would support the OQLF if I lived over there.

You're right. It isn't racist, but like most policies of the Quebec language police it is discriminatory. Perhaps Huntingdon could hold a referendum asking whether or not its citizens wish to continue a partnership with Quebec.

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
You're right. It isn't racist, but like most policies of the Quebec language police it is discriminatory. Perhaps Huntingdon could hold a referendum asking whether or not its citizens wish to continue a partnership with Quebec.

That would be interesting, especially since the town of Huntingdon is located only a few miles from New York state. I'm sure the U.S. would love to annex Huntingdon to it's territory.