Occupy with Video - it works

SpectateSwamp

Apr 19, 2011
This video is from Thursday.
Occupy Osoyoos gets the boot from open budget meetings 16Feb2012 - YouTube (1Min 34sec)
They kicked me out.

I entered the room with my back to them and the camcorder shooting over my head. I was wearing earplugs. So I could ignore them. You can see from their faces they didn't like it.

Both local towns Osoyoos and Oliver; enacted and enforced resolutions prohibiting video a couple years back. The Occupy group has passed our own resolution to ignore theirs.

At the previous civic election the Chamber of Commerce asked 3 questions (known in advance to all candidates) that were answered 13 times. The occopy group had 165 questions we had hoped they would pull from the hat. That didn't happen. There is no worse organization for forum rigging than the CofC. They should be prohibited from ever putting on forums and attending them again. Maybe jail time for their past deeds.

Should corporations have VOTE Part #2 of 5 - YouTube (2Min 2Sec) video from the last civic political forum

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
If it is an open meeting then video should be legally allowed. Really the only people who are not ok with being filmed are those with something to hide or be ashamed of.

As for the topic of businesses getting a vote....over my dead body! A business owner already gets to vote as a private citizen, why would he/she get an extra vote. I would like to see all corporate and commercial funds removed from politics completely. It is nothing more than buying favors to fund a candidate. If the owner of a business wants to dip into his own pocket to contribute fine but they also better live in the riding they contribute to.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
this is not so, municipalities have cameras at meeting and the news operates with no
interference except for what is called In camera sessions which do discuss sensitive
issues that are not public policy yet and there is no cameras at that portion of the
meeting.
As for a budget meeting that is quite different the same as it would be for the SIR or
other government agency. These are often proposal meetings and they are not open
to those portions of the meeting in some cases when proposed policies are being
discussed because they are not official policy as yet.
There is nothing to hide its is a planning session the same as a budget meeting they
are looking at different scenarios and that is not hiding anything its preparing a position
for politicians to decide on direction. I sit on a board that is under the jurisdiction of
the Regional District, I am not a regional district representative but I do engage in
certain discussions as presented by the management of the program. I would expect
you would be thrown out of closed session of that group too.
I do support some of the views of the Occupy movement not all but some and when
they start behaving like this I am turned off.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That whole dam occupy bunch of lazy bums should be sent packing. If you don't like the rules get your worthless ass elected and change them. Or is that too much like work?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
taxslave first of all even if you did get elected you can't change some of these rules, they are
administered by Provincial legislation and that is fine with me. Of course this person would not
be allowed to sit at a finance committee meeting, these are recommendation sessions not set
policy decisions. In Camera usually talks about financial purchases and tenders etc and they
can't be open to the public for heaven sake.
These people have some validation from the point of bringing certain practices to light. As for
them camping on the government lawns for extended periods I agree with you. Yes civil
disobedience has a place in democracy. A few days of camping allows for a message to be
heard but these folks don't understand about wearing out their welcome.
The time has come to ensure logical ground rules apply. Civil disobedience should never be
excluded from our process as long as they are peaceful. Its when people have little or no
respect for anything that the problems begin and civil disobedience becomes more than a
message it becomes more than just a demonstration and is subject to legal actions of a more
serious nature.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
That whole dam occupy bunch of lazy bums should be sent packing. If you don't like the rules get your worthless ass elected and change them. Or is that too much like work?

Really???

I work in the oil patch, sometimes 80+ hours a week. I work in temperatures down to -50c on sour gas wells where you can die in 10 seconds. I spend days & days away from home living from a suitcase. I pay more in taxes than a lot of people earn. I attend many political meetings and functions to get my views heard. I am part of the occupy movement and so are many others just like me.

Maybe, just maybe, you should consider an apology for your ignorant stereotyping.

SpectateSwamp

Apr 19, 2011
Profit from outing politicians.

If it is an open meeting then video should be legally allowed. Really the only people who are not ok with being filmed are those with something to hide or be ashamed of.

As for the topic of businesses getting a vote....over my dead body! A business owner already gets to vote as a private citizen, why would he/she get an extra vote. I would like to see all corporate and commercial funds removed from politics completely. It is nothing more than buying favors to fund a candidate. If the owner of a business wants to dip into his own pocket to contribute fine but they also better live in the riding they contribute to.
Yup it was open to the public. They had enacted resolutions keeping me from open council meetings in Osoyoos and Oliver. So I figured I'd give it a try at this other facility.
With the corporate vote thing. I couldn't believe the people clapped for their candidate. He could have said "I just killed my wife and kids" and they would have clapped. I'll keep hounding them with video. The Occupy group will be backing me up with more camcorders. I have the videos monetized on YouTube. So in a way I am being rewarded with a bounty for blowing the whistle. How great that is.

SpectateSwamp

Apr 19, 2011
How bad are the Chamber of Commerce - real bad

Really???

I work in the oil patch, sometimes 80+ hours a week. I work in temperatures down to -50c on sour gas wells where you can die in 10 seconds. I spend days & days away from home living from a suitcase. I pay more in taxes than a lot of people earn. I attend many political meetings and functions to get my views heard. I am part of the occupy movement and so are many others just like me.

Maybe, just maybe, you should consider an apology for your ignorant stereotyping.
Don't worry about nay sayers. You are either for the people or against them.

At the previous federal forum the citizens were prohibited from attending...

OLIVER FEDERAL CANDIDATES FORUM TO BE CLOSED TO PUBLIC | Osoyoos Times Newspaper article I should have videoed them comming and going from this meeting. Next time I will..

YellowHead speaks 1993 Political Forum - planted questions - YouTube (2Min 2Sec) video from 1993 when I ran in the Yellowhead riding with my head painted yellow. I hate it when they plant questions. They do it all the time. Video Catches the practice.

Chamber of commerce plants questions - all the time - YouTube (2Min 39Sec) They tap tap and move the question to the active pile. When videoing political forums make sure you video who hands in the questions. They are a major part of the planting questions problem... Go get them.

Last edited: