Trudeau faces controversy over separation remarks

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This was a good attention grab for him. He's clever for recognizing that the media would bite at the mere mention of a Liberal alluding to sovereignty, even though he clearly doesn't support it.

Trudeau faces controversy over separation remarks

Liberal MP Justin Trudeau is facing a barrage of criticism for suggestions that Quebec separation could be deemed acceptable given the politics of Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Trudeau made the comments during a weekend radio interview in Quebec, and he's been trying to clarify the statement ever since.

The Quebec MP first went to Twitter to dispel criticisms over his remarks, but on Tuesday, he gave reporters a fiery speech about his love for a united Canada. "I live this country in my bones, every breath I take and I'm not going to stand here and somehow defend that I actually do love Canada because we know I love Canada," he said outside of Parliament.

During the radio chat, Trudeau said he could support Quebec's separation if the majority of Canadians in English-speaking provinces shared Harper's ideals.

It's believed that Trudeau was referencing the fact that despite winning a majority government, the Conservatives only took approximately 40 per cent of the popular vote. "There is a way of viewing social responsibility, openness to others, a cultural pride here in Quebec that is necessary to Canada," he said during a talk with host Franco Nuovo, who is a well-known nationalist writer in Quebec.

"And I always say that if I ever believed Canada was really the Canada of Stephen Harper and we were going against abortion and going against gay marriage, and we were going backward in 10,000 different ways, maybe I'd think of wanting to make Quebec a country."

During the talk show, when Nuovo expressed some surprise at Trudeau's remarks, the parliamentarian added: "Oh yes, absolutely. If I no longer recognized Canada, I know my own values."

When the comments spread from Quebec to a national audience over the next 48 hours, Trudeau attempted to tamp down the smouldering controversy on Twitter by stating he would never be okay with Quebec leaving confederation.

Trudeau tweeted: "Canada needs (Quebec) to balance out Harper's vision that I (and many) don't support."

But the Conservatives were quick to seize on Trudeau's remarks, as well as refer to his father, the late prime minister Pierre Trudeau. "(Trudeau) grew up hearing about a strong, united Canada, but just last week he said he would favour Quebec independence," Tory MP Merv Tweed said in Parliament, adding that Trudeau should recant or further clarify his comments.

Meanwhile, Interim NDP Leader Nicole Turmel used the occasion to talk about her own federalism. "I will let (Trudeau) choose his party, if he wants to go to Quebec, but for me and for the (New Democratic) party we are clear: we're a federalist party and we represent all Canadians," she said.

Turmel faced some controversy when it was revealed last year that she once held membership in the Bloc Quebecois.

For their part, the Bloc also pounced on Trudeau and attempted to welcome him into the fold.

"Good news!" said Bloc member Maria Mourani.

"Finally, he has understood," said another Bloc member, Andre Bellavance.

Still, Trudeau's boss, Interim Liberal Leader Bob Rae, supported his MP, and said that he believes in a strong and united Canada.

He also questioned Harper's politics and tactics in the Prime Minister's Office.

"Mr. Harper is the interim prime minister," Rae said. "He's here today, he'll be gone tomorrow. You should never confuse one man with the whole country. The country is much bigger and much greater than any one person." In an interview with CTV's National Affairs, former Quebec opposition and ADQ leader Mario Dumont said that Trudeau's comments could come back to haunt him, especially if he has plans on running for the Liberal leadership one day.

He also suspected that Trudeau wanted to appear sympathetic to Quebec while demonizing Harper, but ended up sounding like it's "more important for him to be on the left than to be Canadian."

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Turdoh is vying for leadership of the Bloc.

Rrrriiight... You should stay away from The Sun. It's frying your brain cells.

And in other Sun News headline-inspired commentary.. cap said:

I don't know... Maybe that's his grand plan after he takes over the Bloc leadership and separates from Canada... He'll want a utopian society and there ain't no use for handguns there.

Yep... That and the shellacking he'll get from Brazeau.

We salute you cap for identifying the ideology behind the man.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
So in other words, Justin Trudeau believes his vision of Canada is the only one that matters and if others disagree they don't belong in the same country as him. Hmmm... sounds very similar to me, sort of like the whole hard line "with us or against us" attitude expressed by G.W. Bush... and just like Trudeau's own daddy...

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Well let's stick to the facts. Here is his comment:

“I always say, if at a certain point, I believe that Canada was really the Canada of Stephen Harper – that we were going against abortion, and we were going against gay marriage and we were going backwards in 10,000 different ways – maybe I would think about wanting to make Quebec a country.”

I see what he's saying here.

He's basically saying that if the state of Canada got so bad under the Harper regime, that it would sacrifice these social values, then he can understand why Quebec might wanted to rid themselves of this country.

That's pretty much all there is to that comment. He's not promoting sovereignty or removing loyalty from the country, he's just empathizing with people who see things differently.

Not exactly rocket science, but I can see how people with certain.. vested interests.. would want to attack Trudeau and spin this to their advantage. In the end, this is exactly the exposure he was looking for, so if conservatives were smart, they would stay away from this media bomb.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Well let's stick to the facts. Here is his comment:

I see what he's saying here.

He's basically saying that if the state of Canada got so bad under the Harper regime, that it would sacrifice these social values, then he can understand why Quebec might wanted to rid themselves of this country.

That's pretty much all there is to that comment. He's not promoting sovereignty or removing loyalty from the country, he's just empathizing with people who see things differently.

Not exactly rocket science, but I can see how people with certain.. vested interests.. would want to attack Trudeau and spin this to their advantage. In the end, this is exactly the exposure he was looking for, so if conservatives were smart, they would stay away from this media bomb.

So its OK for Trudeau Jr to spin and exaggerate the stances of Harper and/or English Canada, but not for his political opponents to do the same thing to him...

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
So its OK for Trudeau Jr to spin and exaggerate the stances of Harper and/or English Canada, but not for his political opponents to do the same thing to him...

I never said I agree with the particulars of the comment, but I understand the sentiment.

Trudeau must have done something right to light up such a fire, lol

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Let's not forget that it will be Justin that will pass judgment on what constitutes 'Canadian values'... Despite the fact that the majority of those that voted backed Harper.

How quaint.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I never said I agree with the particulars of the comment, but I understand the sentiment.

Trudeau must have done something right to light such a fire, lol

The politician son of the most divisive PM in our country's history making arrogantly inflammatory comments that reflect on his tolerance for opposing views in democracy... I wonder why people would react to something like this...

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The politician son of the most divisive PM in our country's history making arrogantly inflammatory comments that reflect on his tolerance for opposing views in democracy... I wonder why people would react to something like this...

Where are you reading that much into this?

Here's the quote again.

“I always say, if at a certain point, I believe that Canada was really the Canada of Stephen Harper – that we were going against abortion, and we were going against gay marriage and we were going backwards in 10,000 different ways – maybe I would think about wanting to make Quebec a country.”

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Where are you reading that much into this?

Here's the quote again.

It's still based on his own subjective opinion MF... What part of that don't you get?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It's still based on his own subjective opinion MF... What part of that don't you get?

I never said it wasn't subjective.

He's putting himself in the shoes of separatists who have certain social values and basically says that if he lived their lives, he can see how they would want to separate if those values were legitimately under attack. He could say the same thing about Albertans who have extremely right values and if they were under some oppressively left-wing regime, how they would eventually want to separate.

Now, I'm not saying that the criteria he mentioned (gay rights, etc) are under serious attack or that I agree with the Harper future he's illuminating, but I do understand that he's merely empathizing with those from Quebec who do feel that way.

I'm not sure how to unzip that logic any better for your you guys, but I'm pretty sure it was his intent to cause confusion and get some media spotlight and to that end he succeeded.

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I never said it wasn't subjective.

Then, in the context of what he said, I think that people aren't reading too much into it.

He's putting himself in the shoes of separatists who have certain social values and basically says that if he lived their lives, he can see how they would want to separate if those values were legitimately under attack. He could say the same thing about Albertans who have extremely right values and if they were under some oppressively left-wing regime, how they would eventually want to separate.

Now, I'm not saying that the criteria he mentioned (gay rights, etc) are under serious attack or anything, but I do understand that he's merely empathizing with those from Quebec who feel that way (whether they are legitimate in their assumptions or not).

I'm not sure how to unzip that logic any better for your you guys, but I'm pretty sure it was his intent to cause confusion and get some media spotlight.

Trudeau is also welcome to put himself in the shoes of racists, pedophiles or terrorists for all I care, that is his decision, but to announce it publicly and suggest his implicit support is a different animal all together

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Trudeau is also welcome to put himself in the shoes of racists, pedophiles or terrorists for all I care, that is his decision, but to announce it publicly and suggest his implicit support is a different animal all together

As much as I don't care for separation, comparing separatists to racists, pedophiles or terrorists sounds eerily like Vic Toews comparison of privacy critics to pedophiles. I'm sure there are some conservatives that aren't this belligerent, so please prove me wrong.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
As much as I don't care for separation, comparing separatists to racists, pedophiles or terrorists sounds eerily like Vic Toews comparison of privacy critics to pedophiles. I'm sure there are some conservatives that aren't this belligerent, so please prove me wrong.

Let's be clear on this MF... I used some examples of contentious issues to make a point, not to compare - you are the one that made that leap.

That said, a public official that is supporting the possibility of the break up of a nation is highly significant, wouldn't you agree?

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

It always amuses me how leftists want to portray Albertans as the extremists in the country. Most Albertans don't espouse separatist rhetoric or values like Quebecers do. Most Albertans don't think the country needs to be remade in their province's image. Most Albertans just want to be left alone by the Feds and to be able to earn their living in peace, without most of it being appropriated to subsidize programs in other provinces that don't exist in their own. The most radical thing most Albertans care about is that they not be made criminals by ill-conceived, ineffective, knee-jerk legislation like the long gun registry.

Now, I'm not saying that the criteria he mentioned (gay rights, etc) are under serious attack or that I agree with the Harper future he's illuminating, but I do understand that he's merely empathizing with those from Quebec who do feel that way.

I think he's full of crap. I think Harper realizes that most Canadians don't want to re-open the debates on gay marriage or abortion but Trudeau and his fellow Liberals want to invent a boogeyman. He's creating fear and division to score political points. Its sleazy and intellectually dishonest, at least to the same degree as most attack adds in election campaign. By trying to pander to Quebecois fears, he is helping to keep the "wounds fresh" and keep the divisions in this country in place, thus weakening the whole.

I'm not sure how to unzip that logic any better for your you guys, but I'm pretty sure it was his intent to cause confusion and get some media spotlight and to that end he succeeded.

Well he was trying to get the media spotlight on himself, that's for sure, but like anything else, be careful what you wish for...

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
If Quebec separates, does that mean Trudeau goes with Quebec ? :lol:,
Is there anyway we in the west can give Quebec a helping hand??