Ottawa’s new anti-terrorism strategy lists eco-extremists as threats

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa’s new anti-terrorism strategy lists eco-extremists as threats

After vowing to take on radical environmentalists determined to stop the Northern Gateway pipeline, the Harper government has released a new anti-terrorism strategy that targets eco-extremists as threats.

With his announcement this week, Public Safety Minister Vic Toews has increased the concern among environmentalists that Ottawa regards them as implacable adversaries to be monitored and battled, rather than well-meaning advocates to be consulted.

“This is just one more step in their attempt to marginalize the environmental movement and to quiet its voice,” John Bennett, executive director of Sierra Club Canada, said Friday. “It’s an indirect suggestion that somehow environmentalism is attached to terrorism and that’s just wrong.”

On Thursday, Mr. Toews released a statement on the government’s strategy, which will target not only known terrorist groups but “vulnerable individuals” who could be drawn into politically inspired violence.

The minister said that, in addition to foreign threats, the government would be vigilant against domestic extremism that is “based on grievances – real or perceived – revolving around the promotion of various causes such as animal rights, white supremacy, environmentalism and anti-capitalism.”

New Democratic Party MP Megan Leslie said the new strategy should be seen in the context of the government’s effort to demonize the environmental movement and aboriginal groups that are opposed to the proposed Northern Gateway pipeline.

The project, which would carry oil-sands bitumen to the B.C. coast for export to Asian markets, is a top priority for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who has extolled Canada’s ability to supply oil to China during his visit to the rapidly growing Asian country this week.

Mr. Harper and Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver have warned against foreign-funded, radical environmentalists who are determined to derail the Gateway pipeline, while a document from the Department of Foreign Affairs listed allies of the government’s oil-sands development plans and “adversaries” that included environmental and aboriginal groups.

Ms. Leslie said the anti-terrorism strategy carries the adversarial relationship between the government and the environmental groups to the extreme.

“I find it offensive that there is a list that puts people trying to protect the environment on the same list as white supremacists,” Ms. Leslie said. She said Ottawa has created a chill among groups that worry they are being infiltrated and subjected to surveillance, as police did with protest groups prior to the G20 meeting in Toronto in 2010.

However a spokesman for Mr. Toews said those fears are baseless, that the government is not targeting legitimate dissent. “Terrorist action occurs when an extremist ideological group plans to carry out a violent attack that reasonably can be expected to kill people or destroy property,” Michael Patton, Mr. Toews’s director of communication, said in an e-mail Friday.

“We have seen individuals or groups of differing ideologies or points of view both internationally and domestically who have planned and carried out violent attacks to bring attention to their causes.”

There have been fringe groups that advocated violence to stop resource development, and a few years ago, there was a spate of pipelines bombings in northern Alberta that caused damage but no injuries.

At the same time, native leaders have warned Ottawa that their younger generation is becoming increasingly impatient with the poverty of first nations, and may turn to violence if resource projects are approved without their agreement and participation.

Ottawa's new anti-terrorism strategy lists eco-extremists as threats - The Globe and Mail

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
They have to get their priorities straight.

Arresting nerds and hippies, but letting people fire guns at each other the moment they step on their property... it's screwed up.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Anyone remember when the pipeline near Ft St Johns Dawson Creek BC exploded due to a criminal act???? Harper and his thugs may be a bunch of slack jawed locos but in the end they aint planting bombs in peoples workplaces and placing peoples lives at risk.... They pass legislation and use the law... Mabye if the eco terrorists were smart enough they would all get law degrees and take the fight to the harper encampment/government....

B.C. pipeline explosion likely terrorism: ex-CSIS official - British Columbia - CBC News

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
If Sierra Club or Greenpeace have any kind of message of value, why aren't they taking the formal steps to address the issues as opposed to the extremism?

I notice that Greenpeace was awfully quiet after their stormtroopers broke into a building in Calgary to hang signage off the roof in their name.... Left the poor buggers to rot in a cell and deal with the legal ramifications themselves.

The only conflict that I see is that the aforementioned groups act like a kid having a tantrum whenever they don't get their way.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If Sierra Club or Greenpeace have any kind of message of value, why aren't they taking the formal steps to address the issues as opposed to the extremism?

I notice that Greenpeace was awfully quiet after their stormtroopers broke into a building in Calgary to hang signage off the roof in their name.... Left the poor buggers to rot in a cell and deal with the legal ramifications themselves.

The only conflict that I see is that the aforementioned groups act like a kid having a tantrum whenever they don't get their way.

The Sierra Club are a legal organization that fights corporate and governmental eco-terrorism in court. Where do you get that they are acting outside the law? Greenpeace usually only pull publicity stunts to get more money sent their way. I am aware that there are some, like Earth First, who have done damage but I think you are way off base with your accusations.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The Sierra Club are a legal organization that fights corporate and governmental eco-terrorism in court. Where do you get that they are acting outside the law? Greenpeace usually only pull publicity stunts to get more money sent their way. I am aware that there are some, like Earth First, who have done damage but I think you are way off base with your accusations.

He works in the oil industry.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Harper and his gang of thugs are ecological terrorists. They are a threat to the environment.

I find it so amusing that people use the same type of tactics on both sides of the issue. Childishness and name calling rarely, if ever, accomplishes anything. Throwing labels at your percieved adversaries only serves to weaken your own position.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I find it so amusing that people use the same type of tactics on both sides of the issue. Childishness and name calling rarely, if ever, accomplishes anything. Throwing labels at your perceived adversaries only serves to weaken your own position.
So, you are saying Harpo is coming from a weak position by labeling people who are concerned about the environment as eco-terrorists? I was just pointing out the stupidity of his statement. Of course that went flying right over you and Walter's heads.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So, you are saying Harpo is coming from a weak position by labeling people who are concerned about the environment as eco-terrorists?

Yes, if that is what he is saying then yes, his position is weak just as your position is weak for calling him an ecological terrorist.

I was just pointing out the stupidity of his statement. Of course that went flying right over you and Walter's heads.

Of course it didn't fly right over my head. I understood it perfectly and that is why I compared it to the stupidity of your statement. I understand it may upset you to be likened to Harper. Maybe you should just stop acting like him and I won't point it out any more.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
So, you are saying Harpo is coming from a weak position by labeling people who are concerned about the environment as eco-terrorists? I was just pointing out the stupidity of his statement. Of course that went flying right over you and Walter's heads.
That's basically my point about tree-huggers vs tree-spikers....

Of note, no skeleton has ever been found handcuffed to a tree