New Nanos polls surprising

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Not really all that surprising. Libs don't have Iggy, NDP don't have Jack and Harper's gloat is getting boring.
Still, the Liberals don't even have a leader yet. I would have guessed they would be a lot lower....but.....what do I know?..:roll:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Maybe that's why they're gaining. Nobody to put their foot in their mouth lately.

Did you see Rae having a hissy fit about Canadians being allowed to defend themselves??? He called it "vigilantism".

The Conservatives are just waiting to see what idiot they stick in as permanent leader, then they'll fry him.

Right now nobody is paying attention.

Except the weirdo political junkies.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Did you see Rae having a hissy fit about Canadians being allowed to defend themselves??? He called it "vigilantism".

The Conservatives are just waiting to see what idiot they stick in as permanent leader, then they'll fry him.

Right now nobody is paying attention.

Except the weirdo political junkies.

For God's sake Colpy, All Liberals are not idiots just as all Conservatives are not Rhode's Scholars.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Colpy first of all Ontario loves that kind of talk when it comes to weapons and a lot of
urban centers do to, until their house if threatened of coures.
Thes polls show a definite shift in things. If the NDP take nearly a year to get a new
leader it does not bode well for their ability to be decisive,.there are some unknowns
though. Where is the strength and weakness of the Tories, Liberals and NDP.
That showing is important as you can be wildly popular in some parts of the nation
without gaining seats.
I think the Liberals are on the come back trail though and people have decided to
punish them enough for now. I have said before and I think its true, the Harperites
have crested and now the slow decline begins. They opened the can of worms
called pension reform and seniors vote, how dumb can you be. I am able to get the
pension and I do I also still continue to farm and to do other things as well, because
I am not going to retire life has too much to offer. The reforms would likely never have
an impact on me but I don't trust politicians either and I will vote against any and all
reform to pensions regardless. People paid for those programs and they are now
entitled to the benefits.
Harper is now embarking on the road to being a king and that does not sit well with
Canadians. I am not picking on him in particular, we have seen this before, Brian
Mulroney decided he was more equal than others too and paid a price, the only one
who got away with it was Jean Chretien and come to think of it he might have been
a king, (just Kidding) I saw Walter's finger on the bad button. We should call him
bad button Walter come to think of it.
I would expect the Tories to continue to fall and if the economy goes sideways they
will really suffer.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
This latest poll shows the Liberals catching up:

Nik on the Numbers - Latest Nanos Poll - Federal Deadlock - Tories 35, Grits 34, NDP 17, Bloc 9, Green 6

Nanos polls are usually right on.

Well this latest poll tends to refute that claim, Juan.

The Liberals are polling at a post-election high and today run neck-and-neck alongside the NDP, according to a new Forum Research poll, which also found Justin Trudeau among the Liberal Party’s top picks for the permanent leadership next year — even though he has denied such ambitions.

After a crushing defeat in May, the Liberals have risen to 26% support, slightly ahead of their result in the firm’s Jan. 13 poll ant just two percentage points behind the Opposition NDP. Canadians are still most likely to back the Conservative Party if a federal election were held today, at 36% support, up one point from last month.

Liberals reach post-election high, but Tories rule the polls | News | National Post

Now doncha just love pollsters. :smile:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Don't overlook the fact that due to the structure of the plurality system of voting; it often matters more where the vote is concentrated rather than the the overall total percentage. Lopsided Tory wins in Western Canada won't translate into nearly as many seats as a large number of close wins in Ontario. And as the BQ showed for a couple of decades, concentrating a large number of votes in one province can result in far more seats than a party would be expected to get under a fairer system. If the NDP can get its act together and pull in 40% of the Quebec vote it could still take most of the seats in that province. And if the Liberals surge ahead of the Conservatives in Ontario then Harper's majority government will be a one time only affair. But as several other posters have already pointed out; there won't be an election for another three years and a great deal can happen in that time. Let's wait and see how things sort themselves out after the Liberals and NDP select their new leaders.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
One other thing that seems to be lost in many of the comments, is that the Liberal gains in the Nanos poll aren't coming at the expense of the Conservatives but from the NDP: Harper and Co are pretty much where they have been for a while. The Liberals may be making some "progress" but lets wait to see what happens with their leadership and with that of the NDP between now and the next election...

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
We keep doing this every month. Someone posts a poll before threehundredeight.com can post the weighted average of all polls for the month.

Then I have to come into the thread and correct everyone again. Maybe next month will be different.

Conservatives are remaining steady as the Liberals and NDP support continues to make tradeoffs. It's not surprising that the Liberals are making gains as the NDP are still in the process of choosing their leader and Turmel, frankly, sucks balls. The Liberals know this and they're pushing hard before the end of March.

Last edited:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Meh. The polls wont really matter til the last year or so before the 2015 election when trends become noticeable.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'd like to see Justin Trudeau run and win the Liberal leadership. How much fun would that be.

Barrels :lol::lol::lol::lol:

This latest poll shows the Liberals catching up:

Nik on the Numbers - Latest Nanos Poll - Federal Deadlock - Tories 35, Grits 34, NDP 17, Bloc 9, Green 6

Nanos polls are usually right on.

Polls are unrealiable a week before an election.......................31/2 years- a waste of time, money and effort! :lol: