Should NGOs and international organizations be prohibited from conducting elections

Should NGOs and international organizations be prohibited from conducting elections o

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Should NGOs and international organizations be prohibited from conducting elections on Canadian soil?

Of course this question applies to international religious organizations, foreign governments and anything else that could qualify as a foreign organization to Canada.

Sorry, I noticed the question is cut off in the poll, but it is included at the start of the OP in full.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Elections for what? Every Rotary Club, every minor hockey association has an election every year.

I don't understand the question.

I was referring to Harper's opposition to France holding elections on Canadian soil. considering that plenty of international organizations, both secular and religious, have been holding elections on Canadian soil for years, I don't see why it would be a problem now. Consider too that many Canadians vote from abroad too.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I was referring to Harper's opposition to France holding elections on Canadian soil. considering that plenty of international organizations, both secular and religious, have been holding elections on Canadian soil for years, I don't see why it would be a problem now. Consider too that many Canadians vote from abroad too.

The French Nationals living in Canada can vote by proxy... This is nothing new, so it does beg the question, why replicate the voting procedure in a foreign nation?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I don't really get how this works in the first place.

Can you live in Canada and run as a politician for some territory in France?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The French Nationals living in Canada can vote by proxy... This is nothing new, so it does beg the question, why replicate the voting procedure in a foreign nation?

Let's compare France to an NGO:

In an international NGO, members vote worldwide for its administration. With France, it used to be that french expats voted for a local candidate in France. Now instead they'll have candidate representing expats based on residency.

Personally I think it's a great idea since expats have a different view of the world than many others. Canada should do the same.

This does not jeaperdize sovereignty in any way since it's merey an internal administrative matter for France. Even before this, French expats could already vote.

It was just that harper failed to spark a brainwave before opening his mouth on this.

I don't really get how this works in the first place.

Can you live in Canada and run as a politician for some territory in France?

All France did was make Canada and the US together as an electoral district like any other. This means one member of the National Assembly will be elected by French expats residing in Canada and the US. This has no impact on Canadian sovereignty whatsoever. Whether France wants its expats to have their own representaiton or to vote for candidates in France is really france's business.

But honestly, I think Canada should copy the French idea.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Let's compare France to an NGO:

No, let's not. They are vastly different entities with vastly different goals.

It was just that harper failed to spark a brainwave before opening his mouth on this.

All France did was make Canada and the US together as an electoral district like any other. This means one member of the National Assembly will be elected by French expats residing in Canada and the US. This has no impact on Canadian sovereignty whatsoever. Whether France wants its expats to have their own representaiton or to vote for candidates in France is really france's business.

Chances are that this has much to do with the French gvt approaching Muclair. If so, Harper is doing the right thing

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

But honestly, I think Canada should copy the French idea.

I'll reserve judgement for further critical analysis on this matter, but if it is true that it comes as no harm to sovereignty then I don't see what the fuss is all about.

Chances are that this has much to do with the French gvt approaching Muclair. If so, Harper is doing the right thing

The right thing for what though?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'll reserve judgement for further critical analysis on this matter, but if it is true that it comes as no harm to sovereignty then I don't see what the fuss is all about.

The right thing for what though?

The same fuss as Mulcair's passport. In other words, a non-issue.

No, let's not. They are vastly different entities with vastly different goals.

Oh conspiracies abound!

They may have different goals, but please explain how it interferes with Canadian sovereignty. It's a french election; it's not like France is insisting on havng a seat in the Canadian Parliament.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Oh conspiracies abound!

No conspiracy champ...

There is a reason why nations have prohibitions on allowing foreign nationals from holding positions in gvt. Is that so hard for you to grasp?

They may have different goals, but please explain how it interferes with Canadian sovereignty. It's a french election; it's not like France is insisting on havng a seat in the Canadian Parliament.

IF this involves Muclair, then is MAY interfere with Canadian (and possibly French) sovereignty.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
No conspiracy champ...

There is a reason why nations have prohibitions on allowing foreign nationals from holding positions in gvt. Is that so hard for you to grasp?

IF this involves Muclair, then is MAY interfere with Canadian (and possibly French) sovereignty.

First, we're talking about French expats holding positions in the French government. Hardly foreign nationals.

Secondly, how could Mulcair be a Canadian MP and a member of the French National Assembly at the same time. Kind of hard to be in two places at once, eh.

Now what I could see for Canada would be to prohibit Canadians with dual citizenship from voting in Canadian elections when residing in the other country in which they hold citizenship and from voting in the foreign election when residing in Canada.

Essentially the same concept as an Ontrian moving to Manitoba forfeiting his right to vote in an Ontario election.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
The top 10 democratic states have a very open foreign policy.

Democracy Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can you highlight the entry in the wiki submission that identifies which of the member nations welcomes the participation of foreign nationals in their Fed gvt?

First, we're talking about French expats holding positions in the French government. Hardly foreign nationals.

Secondly, how could Mulcair be a Canadian MP and a member of the French National Assembly at the same time. Kind of hard to be in two places at once, eh.

Now what I could see for Canada would be to prohibit Canadians with dual citizenship from voting in Canadian elections when residing in the other country in which they hold citizenship and from voting in the foreign election when residing in Canada.

Essentially the same concept as an Ontrian moving to Manitoba forfeiting his right to vote in an Ontario election.

Then why even bring up this ridiculous assertion in the first place?

... And we're not talking about the voting rights of a citizen.. We've moved on, Okay?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Can you highlight the entry in the wiki submission that identifies which of the member nations welcomes the participation of foreign nationals in their Fed gvt?

Then why even bring up this ridiculous assertion in the first place?

... And we're not talking about the voting rights of a citizen.. We've moved on, Okay?

Then it's a non-issue, right?