Natives have rights, but not veto: experts

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The govt has to consult, but is not bound by negotiations with natives, they can be overruled. That's democracy, the elected govt has the power, not small numbers of people living in the country. The UN keeps the lawyers busy, but it is a nuliity as Canada is subject to no foreign power or treaty because Canada is a sovereign nation. Canada decides what happens in Canada. Natives contribute because they live in Canada, but they are not sovereign, even if their chiefs think they are kings.

Natives in BC claim the province with numerous overlapping claims. Same problem plagues Haiti, there are deeds that overlap and no sustained development occurs because land tenure is uncertain. Banks won't give loans because the land cannot be used as collatoral. It is the same in any third world country. Traditional lands and beliefs prevent devlepment and Canada has third world people in Natives.

Haitians and Natives in Canada will never give up their claims unless they are politically forced to.

Most B.C. first nations oppose pipeline but UN declaration, case law unlikely to stop oil's flow

By Peter O'Neil, Vancouver Sun January 28, 2012

Members of the Haisla First Nation perform during the opening ceremony of Enbridge's Northern Gateway pipeline joint review hearing in Kitamaat Village earlier this month. The Haisla peoples and their traditional lands and waters will be keenly affected by the project and therefore would be in the best position to argue in court against its construction, say law experts.

Photograph by: Robin Rowland, Reuters, Vancouver Sun

The world received two blunt messages this week on Enbridge Inc.'s proposed $5.5-billion oilsands pipeline from Alberta to B.C.'s northern coast.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper told the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, that the government will "make it a national priority to ensure we have the capacity to export our energy products beyond the United States, and specifically to Asia."

But that pitch for the pipeline megaproject, which would open up the largely landlocked oilsands resource to non-U.S. buyers, was countered by a report quoting Assembly of First Nations National Chief Shawn Atleo. Atleo said the federal government and Calgarybased Enbridge required the "consent" of B.C. first nations who are mostly opposed to the project.

So do aboriginals have the legal ability to stop a major energy megaproject that the Harper government touts as the key to creation of numerous jobs and billions of dollars in new wealth?

They probably don't, legal experts said this week, though uncertainty remains about how courts might deal with a legal challenge.
Atleo's claim was made at a news conference after this week's Crown-first nations summit in Ottawa.
"The notion of first nations having free, prior and informed consent means exactly that," he said.

Atleo, of B.C.'s Nuuchahnulth First Nation, avoided using the word "veto." Instead, he adopted the "free, prior and informed consent" that is taken directly from the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Another of B.C.'s aboriginal leaders, Jody WilsonRaybould, concurred.

"There are impacts of major development projects that, based upon our rights and our territories, may and potentially will require the consent of first nations," said WilsonRaybould, a lawyer and the AFN's regional chief in B.C.
"This notion of free prior consent has no legal basis in Canada - none. Zip," said Vancouver lawyer Thomas Isaac, a former B.C. government chief treaty negotiator who has acted in the past for Enbridge.

"That's not to say that people ought not to seek consent. That's a different question. But is there a basis in law? Not a shred."
University of B.C. law professor Gordon Christie said in an email it "is a bit strong to say a veto of some sort exists at this point in time."

But first nations along the route "do have powerful claims that just might prevent the state from simply pushing a pipeline through their territories and, most troubling, across their riverways."
There are two touchstones cited in legal arguments that assert that first nations do potentially wield a veto in the event that the National Energy Board panel approves the project, as many expect it will, in late 2013.

UN DECLARATION BINDING?

The first is international in nature.
Atleo's notion of "consent" comes directly from wording sprinkled throughout United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, which was adopted by the UN General Assembly in 2007 and endorsed, after considerable hesitation, by the Harper government in 2010.

The declaration says states should obtain from indigenous peoples "their free and informed consent prior to the approval of any project affecting their lands or territories and other resources, particularly in connection with the development, utilization or exploitation of mineral, water or other resources."

But the declaration is not a treaty, said Nigel Bankes, chair of natural resources law at the University of Calgary's law faculty. "I think most people would say that part of the declaration is aspirational in nature rather than customary law."
Indeed, the Canadian government's website uses that term, saying the 2007 declaration "is a non-legally binding aspirational document."

The Harper government also spelled out its objection to the "consent" wording, noting its concerns regarding "those provisions dealing with lands, territories and resources; free, prior and informed consent when used as a veto; self-government without recognition of the importance of negotiations; intellectual property; military issues; and the need to achieve an appropriate balance between the rights and obligations of Indigenous peoples, member states and third parties."

CASE LAW DOESN'T HELP

Of greater relevance is Canadian case law that has required governments in Canada to "consult" and "accommodate" first nations on land-use decisions.

But common-law precedents don't say aboriginals with established title to the land in question have a blanket veto on land-use decisions. The law specifically contemplates allowing title to be "justifiably infringed."
The Supreme Court of Canada's landmark 1997 Delgamuukw decision specifically spells out the government's right to "infringe" on aboriginal title.

"The development of agriculture, forestry, mining, and hydroelectric power, the general economic development of the interior of British Columbia, protection of the environment or endangered species, the building of infrastructure and the settlement of foreign populations to support those aims, are the kinds of objectives that are consistent with this purpose and, in principle, can justify the infringement of aboriginal title," the decision said.

The court made it clear infringement couldn't take place without meaningful consultation that could, in certain cases, open the door to the requirement of consent.

"This consultation must be in good faith, and with the intention of substantially addressing the concerns of the aboriginal peoples whose lands are at issue. In most cases, it will be significantly deeper than mere consultation," the court stated. "Some cases may even require the full consent of an aboriginal nation, particularly when provinces enact hunting and fishing regulations in relation to aboriginal lands."

HAISLA PEOPLES HOLD KEY

Both Bankes and University of Victoria aboriginal law expert Jeremy Webber said the strongest case could come from the Haisla First Nation.

Roughly half of the 1,500-strong Haisla First Nation live in Kitimaat Village, about 11 kilometres south of Kitimat, the coastal community where hundreds of supertankers will dock each year to load diluted bitumen from the Enbridge pipeline starting in late 2017, assuming the project proceeds as scheduled.

"The peoples that would have the strongest argument for consent being required are those whose lands would be heavily affected - those, for example, where the pipeline would cut through the heart of their lands, where it would endanger some resource or interfere with their use of the land, or where there was a risk of heavy damage from spills, etc.," Webber wrote in an email.
"I am not an expert on the technical aspects of this project, but I would think that the Haisla would have to be one of the nations with the biggest potential impact - the largest risk of spills, on land and in both fresh and salt water; the greatest intrusion on their traditional territory."

Bankes said a legal case would most likely be launched at the Federal Court of Appeal level after an NEB go-ahead.
"But I don't think there's a veto except in really quite exceptional circumstances," he said, singling out the Haisla.
"They'd say, 'We are a marine people, we are shellfish harvesters, we are fishery folks. It's fundamental to our culture and this imposes such a huge risk of destroying that culture.' That's the nature of the argument."

Isaac said no court has yet ruled that a specific first nation has title to a specific piece of land.
"It's going to come, it's going to happen," he said.

"I am sure there will be [a decision] some day where consent is required over a discreet parcel of land of high significance to a first nation, where title has been proven. But we're a ways away from that and we don't know what that would look like."

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Yes indeed, those pesky natives just are totally irrelevant, aren't they? Why don't we just force them to become civilized, like us good White folks. In a couple of generations, we can eliminate them, and they won't be bothering us any more.

Those treaties that the government signed REALLY don't mean anything today, do they? We can do what we want, when we want, and they should be good little chattles and shut their freaking mouths.

How DARE they attempt to stop us from doing what WE want with THEIR land!

Lets, just force them all to assimilate. In a couple of generations, we can make them all white people, right?

Oh wait, we already tried that, didn't we.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

So do aboriginals have the legal ability to stop a major energy megaproject that the Harper government touts as the key to creation of numerous jobs and billions of dollars in new wealth?

They probably don't, legal experts said this week, though uncertainty remains about how courts might deal with a legal challenge.
The Cree Nation stopped a 12.6 Billion dollar project, the Great Whale, in northern Quebec.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yes indeed, those pesky natives just are totally irrelevant, aren't they? Why don't we just force them to become civilized, like us good White folks. In a couple of generations, we can eliminate them, and they won't be bothering us any more.

Those treaties that the government signed REALLY don't mean anything today, do they? We can do what we want, when we want, and they should be good little chattles and shut their freaking mouths.

How DARE they attempt to stop us from doing what WE want with THEIR land!

Lets, just force them all to assimilate. In a couple of generations, we can make them all white people, right?

Oh wait, we already tried that, didn't we.

Digging the sarcasm! Right on!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Seems to me, there have been various stoppages around BC before. Usually when some company wants to cross native land to go logging or something. Courts tell them to go around or find another spot to log.
Yep, definitely an insignificant bunch.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
When you get taxes from the govt, it really does appear "the land provides everything we need". Which is what I heard on the radio regarding the pipelin. The need for oil and pipelines to use the internet, the fridge, the car? Let's just ingore that because we can. Unemployment at 50%? Housing issues?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
When you get taxes from the govt, it really does appear "the land provides everything we need". Which is what I heard on the radio regarding the pipelin. The need for oil and pipelines to use the internet, the fridge, the car? Let's just ingore that because we can. Unemployment at 50%? Housing issues?
Unreal. I guess what I said before went through you, around you, or something because it obviously didn't sink in. Come to think of it, you never even replied to it. So, I guess you just simply ignore whatever contradicts your little pinpoint of a view.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Unreal. I guess what I said before went through you, around you, or something because it obviously didn't sink in. Come to think of it, you never even replied to it. So, I guess you just simply ignore whatever contradicts your little pinpoint of a view.

Sometimes Indians win, sometimes they don't. Generally, they don't want development but the govt and public has other goals like keeping warm in winter. So we need the Site C project, which will ruffle many feathers but likely go ahead.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Now you're catching on! Lol. Also prone to the occasional hissy fit when he gets called on it too often. Just FYI.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Seems to me, there have been various stoppages around BC before. Usually when some company wants to cross native land to go logging or something. Courts tell them to go around or find another spot to log.
Yep, definitely an insignificant bunch.

Name some stoppages.

Great Whale project. 12.6 BILLION dollar stoppage.

Notice how he ignored that the first time you posted it?

He may have been ignoring it because the his request was about BC. Did they move James Bay to BC?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
He may have been ignoring it because the his request was about BC. Did they move James Bay to BC?
It's so hard to keep track with you and dumpster, making such silly sweeping generalizations, and glaringly fallacious statements all the time. Perhaps if you didn't do that, these issues wouldn't keep arising.

You two should work on that.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's so hard to keep track with you and dumpster, making such silly sweeping generalizations, and glaringly fallacious statements.

You two should work on that.

Why am I not surprised you would choose to attack individuals instead of sticking to the issue. So predictable.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Why am I not surprised you would choose to attack individuals instead of sticking to the issue. So predictable.
All I did was point out a flaw in your logic. I guess I touched a nerve.

I'm sure you missed the moved goalpost in between. But don't worry, you and dumpster are buddies against Natives, so I know his moving goalposts is as OK as you doing it.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
All I did was point out a flaw in your logic. I guess I touched a nerve.

I'm sure you missed the moved goalpost in between. But don't worry, you and dumpster are buddies against Natives, so I know his moving goalposts is as OK as you doing it.

I'm not sure what his goal posts has to do with your confusion about the location of James Bay.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm not sure what his goal posts has to do with your confusion about the location of James Bay.
Irony aside. Your confusion is noted. Again your atrocious reading skills raise their ugly head.

Last edited: