Environment & Energy

Do you support the Environment?

• Yes I support the environment, our survival is at stake!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No I do not support the environment, I want my barren wasteland

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

NewGlobalOrder

Oct 7, 2011
- Until cold fusion is a possibility, create a commission to take a look at Nathan Myrhvold and Bill Gates nuclear reactor, which requires no spent fuel pools, and uses cooling systems that require no power to function, which avoids the major problems encountered with light water technology

- The traveling wave reactor can run for decades on depleted uranium, which there are large amounts around the world. The reactor is slow, and creates and burns its own plutonium fuel as it goes. One load of fuel will last at least 40 years

- It is understandable to fear a level 7 nuclear meltdown, causing a release of radioactive material with widespread health and environmental effects, but not only are traveling wave reactors safer than the common light water reactor, which are used in Japan, but these plants could be built inside a circular dome, maybe even underground, if it would alleviate people’s fears

- Build geothermal plants across the country in areas that are best suitable for electricity generation

- But no matter what type of geothermal plant will be built, the environmental impacts must first be dealt with; like using closed-loop systems, etc

- I am against the Keystone XL expansion, the Northern Gateway pipeline, and will eventually shut down all tar sands in Canada

- Ban hydraulic fracturing, until the issue of chemicals, some of which are toxic and carcinogenic, along with the issue of using gallons of fresh water, the methane gas that escapes into the atmosphere through venting, and the pipeline leaks that has happened in the past, has been dealt with

- Eventually ban all offshore drilling. Until then, I want all oil rigs and petroleum tankers to be checked for safety standards; those that fail, will be taken out of service

- Those who would lose their job from the closure of the tar sands, hydraulic fracturing, and offshore drilling, will have the option of taking one of the new jobs that will be created under Canada’s new green energy-economy, at their current pay rate, or higher, if their new job pays more than their current one, or be paid their current salary, while they’re learning new job skills

- Ban mountaintop removal

- Coal will not be used for electricity generation in Canada, and coal in Canada will only be sold in small amounts to other countries

- The federal government passed new regulations which will require hundreds of Canadian municipalities to install or upgrade sewage treatment systems. What was missing, is requiring advanced wastewater treatment, which will include sludge dewatering like in New York City, and water reclamation like in Singapore. Municipalities will not have to use water reclamation for drinking water

- All products made or sold in Canada will have to either be recyclable, reusable, or biodegradable, with some possible exceptions. For a product to be considered biodegradable, it must break down within weeks or a few months, and must be environmentally friendly; it must not become hazardous to humans, animals or plant life afterwards

- Once all products are either recyclable, reusable, or biodegradable, there will be no more garbage as we know it, and all municipalities must have a food/biodegradable collection program, to go along with their recycling program, and possibly also have advanced anaerobic digestion

- Biodigesters are used in many countries around the world to process animal, certain agricultural, and human waste. All farms will either have a farm-based anaerobic digestion system, or will send their farm waste to a central source

- Work with the UN and other countries on cleaning up and protecting the world’s oceans by tackling the tons of floating garbage. It is estimated that over 70% of the oxygen in the atmosphere is produced by marine plant life; hence why it is so important to start cleaning up the world’s oceans

- All vehicles made or sold in Canada must either be electric, solar, or a combination between electric and solar technologies. This will be so, until another clean technology can be used

- Eventually all airplanes, maritime vessels and helicopters, will only use solar and electric technology, or some other form of clean technology, once the technology can handle the energy requirements

- Pass a law mandating all homes, residential and commercial buildings that will be built in the future, be made with solar panel technology. And most residential and commercial buildings will have green roofs that are either partially or completely covered

- Give government grants for home owners to retrofit their homes with solar panels, energy efficient appliances, etc

- All of Canada’s boreal forests will be protected by law. Less than 8 percent of Canada’s boreal forest is protected to date

- Look at what areas in Canada might be suited for afforestation

- All light bulbs must be LED, as CFL light bulbs use mercury

- Pass an environmental bill into law, that when new technology makes it possible for any industry to be more environmentally progressive, said industry must do so. This will mean, it will no longer be voluntary for corporations to be environmentally progressive, nor dependent upon the government to create new environmental policies and laws each time

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Poll is pretty skewed, in a "With us or against us" sort'a thing.

Can't someone be both for the environment & the economy, in looking
for a balance so that the economy will stay healthy enough to support
the causes that will help the environment, or at least appear to?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
- I am against the Keystone XL expansion, the Northern Gateway pipeline, and will eventually shut down all tar sands in Canada

- Ban hydraulic fracturing, until the issue of chemicals, some of which are toxic and carcinogenic, along with the issue of using gallons of fresh water, the methane gas that escapes into the atmosphere through venting, and the pipeline leaks that has happened in the past, has been dealt with

- Eventually ban all offshore drilling. Until then, I want all oil rigs and petroleum tankers to be checked for safety standards; those that fail, will be taken out of service

- Those who would lose their job from the closure of the tar sands, hydraulic fracturing, and offshore drilling, will have the option of taking one of the new jobs that will be created under Canada’s new green energy-economy, at their current pay rate, or higher, if their new job pays more than their current one, or be paid their current salary, while they’re learning new job skills

How do you plan on financing this...new world order, on a national level?

- Coal will not be used for electricity generation in Canada, and coal in Canada will only be sold in small amounts to other countries

Do you understand the scale of the deposits, mining, and use of coal for electrical generation
in many (like Saskatchewan) parts of this country?

- All products made or sold in Canada will have to either be recyclable, reusable, or biodegradable, with some possible exceptions. For a product to be considered biodegradable, it must break down within weeks or a few months, and must be environmentally friendly; it must not become hazardous to humans, animals or plant life afterwards

Really? I'm only picturing the exceptions, but maybe that's just my negative blinders kicking in.
Can you please give some examples? How does a product know when you're done using it?
Break down within weeks or a few months? You've never worked in the shipping industry,
have you?

- Once all products are either recyclable, reusable, or biodegradable, there will be no more garbage as we know it, and all municipalities must have a food/biodegradable collection program, to go along with their recycling program, and possibly also have advanced anaerobic digestion

I really do hate the multi-quote thing, but couldn't avoid it this time. How will this one
be financed on a national level, to encompass all municipalities?

- All vehicles made or sold in Canada must either be electric, solar, or a combination between electric and solar technologies. This will be so, until another clean technology can be used

- Eventually all airplanes, maritime vessels and helicopters, will only use solar and electric technology, or some other form of clean technology, once the technology can handle the energy requirements

Have you looked into the batteries for electric vehicles to see just how "green"
they are?....factoring in their eventual decommissioning...and the same for
solar panels from the initial gathering of the materials for their components to
their eventual decommissioning?

As far as Helicopters & Airplanes being electric, you understand that planes land,
and then are in the air again in (usually) pretty short turn around times, and that
batteries (usually) are pretty darn heavy?

- All light bulbs must be LED, as CFL light bulbs use mercury

Really? Didn't everyone Just switch out all their bulbs to CFL withing the last
few years?

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Based on this "environmental plan", which is really a misnamed attack on the energy industry, I would vote for taking my chances with the "barren wasteland". The whole plan is a collection of misinformed speculative points and mantras that Greenpeace and Co have been harping on but most of them don't bear up to scientific scrutiny.

If this "plan" ever became Liberal policy, they wouldn't need to worry about forming a government ever again.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
NewGlobalOrder , you might want to start focussing on the votes exclusively
in Ontario and Quebec (and maybe into Manitoba), as you would have written
off most of the West and the Atlantic provinces too with your above policies.

As far as funding these ideas, look at your policies in relation to the current
situation regarding the "Equilization" thing, as to whom the current "Have"
provinces are, and why they are, before you get too far ahead of yourself.

Politics is a balancing act. You're not achieving much balance at this point.
I admire your will to "fix" the things perceived as broken, but it's a big ship
you're looking at steering, and it doesn't change directions quickly or
easily.

Manitoba does sit on a small (but potentially very lucrative) corner of
the Bakken play, and has coal deposits (we stumble across them often
by accident just into Saskatchewan near Manitoba) that're just idling
for the most part....but I'm sure Manitoba is aware of them.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I won't vote in this poll simply because the replies are decidedly pointed and the poll itself seems irrational and emotional..

I'm in the same camp Les, and three hours in, only one person has
voted in the poll, & I'm assuming it wasn't the author of the O.P.

NewGlobalOrder

Oct 7, 2011
The Poll is pretty skewed, in a "With us or against us" sort'a thing.

Can't someone be both for the environment & the economy, in looking
for a balance so that the economy will stay healthy enough to support
the causes that will help the environment, or at least appear to?

Yes it is skewed, and the reason for that is, either you believe in protecting the environment, or you do not. If you have a bathtub filled up with dirty water, you empty it.

But when it comes to energy, you just can't shut off everything at once. For every ounce of dirty water drained, it must be replaced with clean water.

So other forms of cleaner energy must be ready to replace the dirty kind, before it can be shut down.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yes it is skewed, and the reason for that is, either you believe in protecting the environment, or you do not.
That's not the reason. You could have just asked if people support in the environment or not instead of emotionally attaching stupid comments to the answers, like "our survival is at stake!" and "I want my barren wasteland."
If you have a bathtub filled up with dirty water, you empty it.

But when it comes to energy, you just can't shut off everything at once. For every ounce of dirty water drained, it must be replaced with clean water.

So other forms of cleaner energy must be ready to replace the dirty kind, before it can be shut down.
[/FONT]
Ya think, Sherlock?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yes it is skewed, and the reason for that is, either you believe in protecting the environment, or you do not. If you have a bathtub filled up with dirty water, you empty it.

[/FONT]

...And that dirty bath water is powering the Canadian economy at this
point, and would be a major source of funding for the many social &
ecomomic plans you have in mind. The four "Have" provinces (if you
know what I mean) are the one's you'd be targeting here. Looking
forward, I can see the ****storm in alienation from both sides towards
the middle of the country.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The survey leaves no room for common sense therefore I did not take part.
We have to find the bridge between energy and the environment. If we do
nothing the world will eventually suffer serious damage. At present we don't
know how much is artificial damage mankind etc, and natural damage caused
by the wages of time. And both are occurring separate of each other.
On the other hand if we don't have and economy human kind will survive maybe
in some kind of dark ages social waste land.

This crap about the good old days before oil is nonsense. There never was that
simpler time and some good ole days in that regard. On the road to human
progress we are currently living in someone Else's imaginary simpler time.
Before in the old days, the cropland was used to feed animals therefore if we do
that now we cannot feed an ever increasing population. Also we would not be able
to have as much farmland because it would take to much energy to produce food.
one acre = one good man with one good horse and plow can cultivate one acre a day.

It is actually cheaper today to use fuel tractors and equipment when you equate it to the
out put and work level as well. All this doom and gloom about the environment has
become the news sales force of the future converting people to buy green products.
The problem is the well meaning people who started others thinking about the green
movement, are being passed by. Their movement was hijacked because they were
successful and now the multinationals control the agenda for profit not for the
environment itself.
Environment and energy can and do coexist quite well and the fear tactics and extreme
views of the issues are slowly being replaced by reason and common sense.

NewGlobalOrder

Oct 7, 2011
How do you plan on financing this...new world order, on a national level?

I could tell you now, but it will be explained in a future thread.

Do you understand the scale of the deposits, mining, and use of coal for electrical generation
in many (like Saskatchewan) parts of this country?

Before any dirty forms of energy can be shut down, it must first be replaced with a cleaner one. Coal isn't just used for energy, so it does still have it use, but I do not want to sell it to any country, that will use it for energy, so I figure the best way to limit that, is to only sell it in small amounts.

All of this will take time. It will not happen over night.

Really? I'm only picturing the exceptions, but maybe that's just my negative blinders kicking in.
Can you please give some examples? How does a product know when you're done using it?
Break down within weeks or a few months? You've never worked in the shipping industry,
have you?

Have you seen the new Sun Chips bag? Like I said, some stuff may need to be exempt, while other stuff recyclable, or reusable.

I really do hate the multi-quote thing, but couldn't avoid it this time. How will this one
be financed on a national level, to encompass all municipalities?

Toronto has a green bin program, and Vancouver will be doing the same, I believe. All these details will need to be worked out. But let me put it this way: at the end of the day, if there is no money, then it has to be delayed.

I'd rather have a plan, but be unable to do it because of the lack of money, then to have no plan at all.

Have you looked into the batteries for electric vehicles to see just how "green"
they are?....factoring in their eventual decommissioning...and the same for
solar panels from the initial gathering of the materials for their components to
their eventual decommissioning?

There is a 100% solar plane out there, believe it or not, but it's not ready for commercial use, and isn't that big. I never said this will be easy, but it has to be done.

We continue to make improvements on today's technology. Batteries now can be made to last longer, etc. There is the whole Congo issue, and while this is a plan to move forwards, details about how to get to the stuff, and what to do with it after, will need to be worked out.

Really? Didn't everyone Just switch out all their bulbs to CFL withing the last
few years?

Government knew of the mercury problem in bulbs, and are in LCD TVs, etc. Ever break a CFL (Canadian Football League) bulb before? It is a pain in the ass if it happens to break on your carpet.

LED bulbs weren't ready at the time, and now they are, and they do last longer than the CFLs. This is about the health and safety of the CFL bulbs, if they break, plus the environmental impact of the use of mercury, which is why they have to be recycled.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
There is a 100% solar plane out there, believe it or not, but it's not ready for commercial use, and isn't that big. I never said this will be easy, but it has to be done..

Isn't that essentially a floppy slow-speed glider with no payload?

A commercial application might be monitoring weather like a
balloon that can stay on-station...or surveillance...but as far
as quick transportation for people or goods...not so much.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&c...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=MtklT7XSLIaK0QGPwIWJCQ

Maybe someday, but not now. When do you plan on running?

Last edited:

NewGlobalOrder

Oct 7, 2011
Isn't that essentially a floppy slow-speed glider with no payload?

A commercial application might be monitoring weather like a
balloon that can stay on-station...or surveillance...but as far
as quick transportation for people or goods...not so much.

Maybe someday, but not now. When do you plan on running?

Did I not just say, what you just said? I know what I say, and I also know when I say things, I have to explain it, otherwise, people may not get what I am saying. I do hope I explained myself well enough to be understood.

Eventually, means eventually. It is a goal to aim for. Maybe that goal will never be reached, but I'd rather have goals and fail, then to stand for nothing, and get elected.

Sure, I could talk out of both sides of my mouth, like most who run for public office, but I am not that type of person. Explains why I am 0-8, in getting elected.

So I am used to losing, and have no fear of it, while others want to be in a safe riding, and be given a Cabinet post.

I am already running. I made a stupid mistake by using my monetary reform policy in a press release. As I can't get any love from the press (media coverage) I am here, posting stuff, seeing what others have to say. I am looking for feedback, etc.

I did post on another online forum, but when a moderator messed with my poll, I choose to no longer go there. So if you want interesting stuff to talk about, then I suggest you stay around for the next few months.

As a no-name candidate, I have to start now, unlike any of the Liberal MPs, who can announce anytime in 2013.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I did not vote because this poll is not worth answering. It is typical environmentalist's ploy that again says "if you are not with us you are against us".

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Most of the message from the radical elements of the environmental movement are more
about the emotion of fear, than the serious facts of the situation. Its always if we do this
or we should punish people who don't agree with us. No some say. Well not really all I
hear is we are killing this and that and we should jack up the price of oil significantly more.
That would punish the poor, small business, farmers, and a host of others because the
rich would just pay more. The problem is when you make statements that are so draconian
you end up with all those groups coming together against you. Any wonder why?

Energy is on the planet to be used responsibly that is true. What is the definition of responsible?
That is another question that is more difficult to answer. It should not be an individual answer it
should be a community answer, the problem is people who preach dogma instead of solutions
manage to unify people against the environmental movement, but they can't agree with a common
goal. If that is indeed or proves to be the measure of the word responsible then it is in fact the
failure of the environmental movement. The environmental movement then becomes the problem.