Harper declares “new day” in relationship with First Nations

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
MORE TO COME

APTN National News

OTTAWA–While Prime Minister Stephen Harper declared a “new day” had dawned on the relationship between Canada and its Indigenous population, he offered no grand pronouncements in his speech to First Nations chiefs during the opening of the Crown-First Nations Gathering in Ottawa Tuesday.

After the drums died and sweet grass smoke drifted to the ceiling of Victoria Hall in the Diefenbaker building, Harper took the podium and told chiefs in the room and those watching on screens at the Chateau Laurier a few blocks away, that the days of mistrust had passed and a new relationship had dawned.

“In past conversations, we have talked about symbolism and respect and trust. Certainly in the past lack of trust on both sides has held us back,” said Harper. “But this is a new day.”

Harper said Canada’s relationship with First Nations had been tainted by events like the Indian residential school system which was “an explicit attempt to destroy Aboriginal culture.” The prime minister said one of his “most rewarding days in office” was when he delivered the government’s apology for residential schools in the House of Commons in 2008.

“Every relationship has its ups and downs, moments of consensus and of disagreement,” said Harper. “I believe it is important to build a narrative of any relationship based on its highest points.”

The treaties, the Royal Proclamation of 1763, which forms the basis of Aboriginal rights in the Constitution and the courts, and the War of 1812 that saw First Nations ally with the British.

Harper, however, stuck to the theme he had developed in media interviews in the run-up to the gathering saying that his government was focused on incremental steps, not grand leaps.

Harper said his government had no plans to scrap the Indian Act, choosing instead to find “creative ways” to work within and outside the over 100 year-old legislation.

“Our government has no grand scheme to repeal or unilaterally re-write the Indian Act. After 136 years, that tree has deep roots. Blowing up the stump would just leave a big hole,” said Harper. “However, there are ways, creative ways, collaborative ways, ways that involve consultation between our government, the provinces and First Nations leadership and communities. Ways that provide options within the Act, or outside of it, for practical, incremental and real change.”

Harper said his government would continue with the so-called Joint Action Plan with the Assembly of First Nations which targets education, economic development, accountability and treaty relationships.

“We have only just begun,” said Harper.

Harper also recited some of his government’s actions on First Nations issues, but remained silent on calls by many chiefs for the federal government to commit to a series of first ministers meetings or high-level discussions to deal with the dire poverty and uncertainty around Aboriginal and treaty rights for good.

Many chiefs were hoping Harper would use his speech to respond to some of the issues they presented personally to him during a meeting Monday with a delegation of First Nations leaders.

Many believed that Harper’s speech would essentially determine whether Tuesday’s ceremonies and discussions would lead to a momentous shift in the current state of relations between Canada and Indigenous peoples.

Harper himself said he hoped the meeting would be “historic” when he announced the event in December while in his Parliament Hill office with Assembly of First Nations National Chief Shawn Atleo by his side.

The announcement came just as the political fallout over the Attawapiskat crisis was reaching its climax.

Harper declares “new day” in relationship with First Nations | APTN National News

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
MORE TO COME

APTN National News

OTTAWA–While Prime Minister Stephen Harper declared a “new day” had dawned on the relationship between Canada and its Indigenous population, he offered no grand pronouncements in his speech to First Nations chiefs during the opening of the Crown-First Nations Gathering in Ottawa Tuesday.

After the drums died and sweet grass smoke drifted to the ceiling of Victoria Hall in the Diefenbaker building, Harper took the podium and told chiefs in the room and those watching on screens at the Chateau Laurier a few blocks away, that the days of mistrust had passed and a new relationship had dawned.

“In past conversations, we have talked about symbolism and respect and trust. Certainly in the past lack of trust on both sides has held us back,” said Harper. “But this is a new day.”

Harper said Canada’s relationship with First Nations had been tainted by events like the Indian residential school system which was “an explicit attempt to destroy Aboriginal culture.” The prime minister said one of his “most rewarding days in office” was when he delivered the government’s apology for residential schools in the House of Commons in 2008.

“Every relationship has its ups and downs, moments of consensus and of disagreement,” said Harper. “I believe it is important to build a narrative of any relationship based on its highest points.”

The treaties, the Royal Proclamation of 1763, which forms the basis of Aboriginal rights in the Constitution and the courts, and the War of 1812 that saw First Nations ally with the British.

Harper, however, stuck to the theme he had developed in media interviews in the run-up to the gathering saying that his government was focused on incremental steps, not grand leaps.

Harper said his government had no plans to scrap the Indian Act, choosing instead to find “creative ways” to work within and outside the over 100 year-old legislation.

Dumpy will be bummed out about that.

“Our government has no grand scheme to repeal or unilaterally re-write the Indian Act. After 136 years, that tree has deep roots. Blowing up the stump would just leave a big hole,” said Harper. “However, there are ways, creative ways, collaborative ways, ways that involve consultation between our government, the provinces and First Nations leadership and communities. Ways that provide options within the Act, or outside of it, for practical, incremental and real change.”

Harper said his government would continue with the so-called Joint Action Plan with the Assembly of First Nations which targets education, economic development, accountability and treaty relationships.

“We have only just begun,” said Harper.

Harper also recited some of his government’s actions on First Nations issues, but remained silent on calls by many chiefs for the federal government to commit to a series of first ministers meetings or high-level discussions to deal with the dire poverty and uncertainty around Aboriginal and treaty rights for good.

Many chiefs were hoping Harper would use his speech to respond to some of the issues they presented personally to him during a meeting Monday with a delegation of First Nations leaders.

Many believed that Harper’s speech would essentially determine whether Tuesday’s ceremonies and discussions would lead to a momentous shift in the current state of relations between Canada and Indigenous peoples.

Harper himself said he hoped the meeting would be “historic” when he announced the event in December while in his Parliament Hill office with Assembly of First Nations National Chief Shawn Atleo by his side.

The announcement came just as the political fallout over the Attawapiskat crisis was reaching its climax.

Harper declares “new day” in relationship with First Nations | APTN National News

Kind of sounds like typical political rhetoric to me.

They say actions speak louder than words, so here's hoping the actions live up to at least some of them.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I meant as far as the cooperation stuff between people and within the IA. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the smudging wasn't the only source of smoke.
I'll let you know when I meet with one of the Anish delegates next Thursday, if he's still fartin' smoke.

The reviews are mixed. Those that feel they gain from the Act are shortsightedly cool with Harper's position. Those that understand the set of handcuffs that the Act is, aren't at all happy about his confirmation, that it isn't going anywhere.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I'll let you know when I meet with one of the Anish delegates next Thursday, if he's still fartin' smoke.
Yeah, I guess Harpy's smoke hangs around like a cloud so its visible almost 24/7.
The reviews are mixed. Those that feel they gain from the Act are shortsightedly cool with Harper's position. Those that understand the set of handcuffs that the Act is, aren't at all happy about his confirmation, that it isn't going anywhere.
Well, Harpy doesn't have a handle on perpetuity. AT least, I THINK he's human. lol

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

I think your post underscores a big part of native issues: the various groups are divided on how they need to be addressed, so how is the gov't supposed to find a way that makes everyone happy? Does the gov't need to modify the Indian Act and allow various nations/bands to opt out, and if so what kind of framework needs to be put in place to reach a mutually beneficial solution for those groups that do wish to opt out? it seems like the gov't is looking for the easiest solution to a complex problem (again*).

* Just to clarify: IMO simple solutions that may not work are not the sole property of this current Federal gov't but a characteristic of ALL Canadian gov'ts, and especially the Feds

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Key words:

1. little has been done to address underlying problems for two decades, .
2. A different kind of partnership is needed between First Nations and the federal government
3. tuberculosis, toxins

Number 2 directly relates to number 1. Okay, say a new partnership is going to be worked out, it's going to take decades for the over 600 bands/reserves to agree and sign agreements. It may be like the failed treaty process in BC where something like a billion bucks has been spent over a decade with few results. The outlook is not good here. Multiply that across the country while you're at it. But Harper, being a baby step guy, has offered nothing toward this avenue.

Number three, tuberculosis-a very contagious disease, is a serious long term problem as long as substandard housing exists and that problem has no end in sight. Tuberculosis isn't waiting for a partnership, while the overall health and education of natives will continue to deteriorate. At the same time, healthy Canadians will be put at increased risk the longer this problem goes on and on.

We need technocratic and political solutions fast. And applied to a part of the country that resisted them for decades. Most of Canada already has them, but copying those solutions is called cultural genocide and racism by some. This is a problem of the third world, here in Canada and we have no short term fix for it. And we have a political dispute whether to go short or long. Rights or health, pick'em.

Mouldy homes on First Nations reserves a national crisis, UVic study says

By Judith Lavoie, timescolonist.com January 25, 2012

Conditions on many First Nations reserves are deplorable and dangerous, UVic medical anthropologist Peter Stephenson said on Tuesday Jan. 24, 2012.

timescolonist.com

Almost half the homes on First Nations reserves in Canada are mouldy and the high levels of toxins are making people sick, University of Victoria researchers say.

The problem amounts to a national crisis, but, despite a patchwork of programs, little has been done to address underlying problems for two decades, their study concludes.

Conditions on many reserves are deplorable and dangerous, UVic medical anthropologist PeterStephenson, who led the study said in an interview Tuesday. "For small children, it's disgraceful," he said. "We haven't seen any action on this for 15 to 20 years and it's long overdue."

A different kind of partnership is needed between First Nations and the federal government, said Stephenson, who also wants consistent documentation of the growing problem.

"Failed commitments from the federal government to improve reserve housing and socioeconomic conditions have resulted in a legacy of widespread substandard housing and severe housing shortages that yield overcrowding, which, in turn, aggravates mould growth," concludes the paper, published in the U.S-based Journal of Environmental Health.

The federal government needs to make a renewed and lasting commitment to resolve the crisis, the report says. "Without such improvement, the housing crisis and the role that mould plays within in will surely persist and likely worsen," it says.
The researchers, including engineers and social scientists, found reserve homes are often constructed from inappropriate and substandard materials that are highly susceptible to mould.

"Community members had no knowledge of this new form of housing and lacked the economic power and skills to purchase, construct and maintain homes of their own," the study says.

That has driven First Nations to rely on the federal government for construction and maintenance.
Designs are frequently unsuitable for the climate or for use by extended families, the researchers found. "These homes were smaller than traditional homes and constructed to reflect the needs of suburban Canada rather than primary resource-based communities with extended family."

The overcrowding, which is getting worse as First Nations populations grow, leads to high rates of diseases such as tuberculosis, Stephenson said.

Funding for new housing construction is inadequate, especially as unemployment and poverty are rife on reserves, and cash-strapped bands are faced with the choice of building new houses or renovating poorly-constructed and poorly-maintained existing homes, said Stephenson, who wants to see separate pots of funding for construction and repairs.

Most reserve homes are owned and operated by the band council, which provides little incentive for residents to maintain the home or take pride in it, the researchers say.

Spokesmen for Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada could not be contacted Tuesday.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It kind of bugs me when I have to agree with Harper but he is not a stupid man and he just might be on to something. The Indian Act is seriously flawed but we have been creaking along with it for a long time and lately some things have been getting done. Now if Harper would have announced that he was scrapping the act and writing a new one we know that nothing would get done for at least the next 5 years while every lawyer in town would be looking for a way to profit from a rewrite. We also know that a one size fits all plan is not going to work either. So if both sides are committed to work together there is at least a 50% chance that he can make things work.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Why do we need another Act to replace the Indian Act?
What the dump doesn't get about BC is that the Indian Act is applied to aboriginal people who never signed any treaties here. For the most part, very few have ceded their land to the Crown but it was taken from them and then they were subjected to having their lives run by the Crown without their permission or consent.

If the Indian Act can be brought into line with the promises that were signed in the original treaties and all the original promises that were made in them, then there would some footing for the reserve people to feel part of the system. But there are no simple solutions to such a complex problem. I think that any unilateral attempt by government to alter the act will result in a revolution. I don't know about you, but I think I have a healthy distrust of government and their political double speak and I think Harper has done a great job of mastering the language here.