Harper warns Americans he will ship oil elsewhere

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Prime Minister Stephen Harper says he has warned American officials that his government is "serious" about selling Canadian oil to Asian markets, after a U.S. political fight put the Keystone XL pipeline project on hold.

Harper made the comments in an exclusive interview with CTV News Chief Anchor and Senior Editor Lisa LaFlamme, which will air in its entirety on Boxing Day at 7 p.m.

Harper was also joined in the interview by his wife, Laureen, who talks about the challenges of raising kids at 24 Sussex Dr. in the age of social media.

When asked how serious Ottawa is about selling oil to China, and run the risk of compromising Canada's relationship with the United States, Harper replied: "I am very serious about selling our oil off this continent, selling our energy products off to China."

But the prime minster also said that on a recent trip to the U.S., he was told by a number of senior officials that the Keystone XL pipeline will be approved, thereby opening a new route for Canadian oil to be sent to refineries on the U.S. Gulf Coast.

"I ran into several senior Americans, who all said, ‘Don't worry, we'll get Keystone done. You can sell all of your oil to us.' I said, ‘Yeah we'd love to but the problem is now we're on a different track.'"

The pipeline has been delayed as U.S. President Barack Obama seeks more environmental assessments before deciding whether to give the project the green light. He has put off making a decision until after next year's elections.

While Harper talked tough on Canadian crude, he was just as adamant about following through on his campaign promise to kill the long-gun registry. Despite calls to keep the records, Harper wants the database destroyed.

"We're very clear. We're abolishing the registry. If we didn't get rid of the data, we wouldn't be abolishing the registry."
Harper said any province that wants to set up its own registry has the "constitutional right" to do so. However, he thinks such registries are "bad policy."

While he was adamant about his feelings on the gun registry, he was just as adamant that some of the high price tags related to Defence Minister Peter MacKay's travel expenses were merely "the cost of doing business."

MacKay has come under fire in recent weeks for his use of a military helicopter to leave a private vacation to attend to government work, as well as pricey hotel tabs at international conferences that reached as high as $1,452 per night.

Harper said that like many of the delegates to a Munch conference, MacKay stayed at the hotel where the event was held, which resulted in the four-figure nightly bill.

"We encourage our ministers to be frugal," Harper said. "The fact of the matter is that we use government aircraft 80 per cent less than predecessors, we have cut hospitality and those types of ministerial expenses by one-third. So we'll continue to look at opportunities to cut those numbers further."

From international conferences to world affairs, Harper was also clear that he doesn't foresee world leaders agreeing to a mission in Syria like the NATO-led air campaign in Libya.

Syrian President Bashar Assad is facing international condemnation for his regime's violent campaign to quash anti-government protests.

Harper pointed out that the mission over Libya was sanctioned by the UN Security Council and authorized a specific set of actions, which he doesn't foresee for Syria.

"I think we'll continue to see stepped up pressure through diplomatic and trade sanctions," Harper said. "And I don't think it's any secret that our expectation is that this regime will be toppled. It may not be this year, but that time is coming. We'll continue to put pressure to encourage opposition to coalesce and could govern the country."

Harper warns Americans he will ship oil elsewhere | CTV Ottawa

So there.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper says he has warned American officials that his government is "serious" about selling Canadian oil to Asian markets, after a U.S. political fight put the Keystone XL pipeline project on hold.

I see many vendors displaying a sign "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". :lol:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Keep in mind, a large amount of the crude (presently) shipped to the US Gulf Coast is destined for foreign markets (for a profit). The point being, Canada would be stupid to not to take advantage of this.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I don't know where I stand on the pipeline. I lean more against it but am open to convincing. However, i am for free trade in oil to the highest bidder of course and therefore would never have marketed it as "ethical oil" to avoid looking like a hypocrite later when trying to sell it to others. Now Harper does look like a hypocrite.

We should be selling to our highest bidder.

I agree. But Harper painted himself into a corner by marketing it as ethical oil and now going out and selling it to the Chinese.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It would be unethical and lacking in the humanitarian spirit if Canada was to not sell to other nations.

It would be unethical for Canada to buy oil from inhumane nations, but it's okay to sell it to them?

I agree. But Harper painted himself into a corner by marketing it as ethical oil and now going out and selling it to the Chinese.

*ding ding ding ding*

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I don't know where I stand on the pipeline. I lean more against it but am open to convincing. However, i am for free trade in oil to the highest bidder of course and therefore would never have marketed it as "ethical oil" to avoid looking like a hypocrite later when trying to sell it to others. Now Harper does look like a hypocrite.

The ethical oil slogan was coined by Ezra Levant... But that is an aside anyways - if a buyer doesn't want 'dirty oil', they are welcome to purchase eco-oil from any number of other producers.

Believe me, a West Coast pipeline will be the best thing for Canadians as Canada won't be beholden to only one buyer.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It would be unethical for Canada to buy oil from inhumane nations, but it's okay to sell it to them?

*ding ding ding ding*

As long as they have cash.
It would be unethical to shut down Canada's oil industry and putting thousands out of work just because someone doesn't like a pipeline running near their place.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Believe me, a West Coast pipeline will be the best thing for Canadians as Canada won't be beholden to only one buyer.

I thought the Keystone pipeline would be the best thing for Canadians because we're not supporting despotic regimes?

Now we're selling it to a nation that this same government has condemned for being inhumane.

It would be unethical to shut down Canada's oil industry and putting thousands out of work just because someone doesn't like a pipeline running near their place.

Who said anything about shutting down Canada's oil industry?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I thought the Keystone pipeline would be the best thing for Canadians because we're not supporting despotic regimes?

Nope... Keystone would be good for Canada in order to increase the oil sands output... That will still happen with a West Coast line and make no mistake, Keystone XL will go through - at that point, we'll have 2 major bitumen lines.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

I guess I really need a glossery of terms. What exactly is ethical oil? Burning of oil, ethical or otherwise, produces the same amount of CO2 regardless of who burns it. Sounds like a political soundbite that came back to burn him. Always good when that happens.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Hey, let's say you own a store where you sell merchandise. Does that mean every customer has to come armed with "papers" to prove he is an ethical person..............................whatever that may mean! :lol:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
One reason I lean against the pipeline though is since it would increase "production" or, more accurately, extraction of a finite resource. We want that resource to last long enough to keep us going until we develop an alternative. The last thing we want to do is to suck up the bottom of the cup while we still have no alternative developed.

Hey, let's say you own a store where you sell merchandise. Does that mean every customer has to come armed with "papers" to prove he is an ethical person..............................whatever that may mean! :lol:

But we're talking about the government here, the "police", so certainly it must know whether you have a record, no?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Nope... Keystone would be good for Canada in order to increase the oil sands output... That will still happen with a West Coast line and make no mistake, Keystone XL will go through - at that point, we'll have 2 major bitumen lines.

I have no problem with your assessment on what's better for Canadian business, and to that degree, there is no argument.

But our own government took the time to convince us that one oil endeavour is ethical for the same reasons it is now really pushing a second endeavour.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
One reason I lean against the pipeline though is since it would increase "production" or, more accurately, extraction of a finite resource. We want that resource to last long enough to keep us going until we develop an alternative. The last thing we want to do is to suck up the bottom of the cup while we still have no alternative developed.

But we're talking about the government here, the "police", so certainly it must know whether you have a record, no?

The Government????????????? That's you and me and several others! :lol:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

Ok then.. Develop the alternative.

In the meantime, should we hoard the stuff until such time that it has no use or value?