Muslim women must show face to become Canadian citizens

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Re: New Canadian Oath of Citizenship Rules

Well, the interesting thing to me was when it was pointed out that during the Hajj, the ritual pilgrimage to Mecca, it is actually a requirement that women not be veiled. So in Islam, women need not always be veiled.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island

Kenny`s regulation should be extended to beards, mustaches, wigs, hairpieces, hats, yamulkes, scarves, botox enhancements, facial tatoos, girdles, and various implants.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

She looks like she gained some weight since the last time I saw her...

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

6'3"? She's got the frame to carry it Ton. Sure that wasn't Bin
Laden coming over for some KFC is days gone by?

Looks like 3-4 inches of material above her head with that covering. :smile: Still a tall woman!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Well, the interesting thing to me was when it was pointed out that during the Hajj, the ritual pilgrimage to Mecca, it is actually a requirement that women not be veiled. So in Islam, women need not always be veiled.

The Veil, Niqab, Burka are all cultural - Not based upon Religion beliefs as in the Koran.

Kenny`s regulation should be extended to beards, mustaches, wigs, hairpieces, hats, yamulkes, scarves, botox enhancements, facial tatoos, girdles, and various implants.

Spade the Kippah - is not a religious requirement outside or prayers for most Jews. But that is open to dispute over the past few hundred years.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

I can't, that's not to say the person at the DMV couldn't. But who really knows? That's really the point of this citizenship procedural change after all!

The Koran specifically speaks to Muslims to follow and adhere to Laws of the country they are in. That includes loyalty to that country as well.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec

It is about time and I think there are other circumstances that would also need attention.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island

I understand the sentiment of those who support the Jason Kenny’smandate. The equality of women is fundamental to democracy, even to the extentthat this princile conflicts with religion or cultural practice. However, prohibiting the veil furthermarginalizes women who are already treated as less than equals in their owncommunities.

Surely it would be better to grant them citizenship, veil orno veil, so that they would benefit from the protection and nurturing being a Canadianbestows. As other critics of Kenney’smeasure have pointed out, there is no bar to citizenship to the men who arepart of that paternalistic practice.

Besides, there is a whiff of catering to post 9-11 prejudiceand xenophobia. However, I am not impugningthe motives, as long as this were not done now to distract Canadians from the environmentalcriticism arising from our exposure in Durban or from other contentious issues.

Nevertheless, I am certain Minister Kenny, as a member of areligious community who does not grant full equality to women, is well aware ofthe destructive nature of paternalistic practice.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

I understand the sentiment of those who support the Jason Kenny’smandate. The equality of women is fundamental to democracy, even to the extentthat this princile conflicts with religion or cultural practice. However, prohibiting the veil furthermarginalizes women who are already treated as less than equals in their owncommunities.

Surely it would be better to grant them citizenship, veil orno veil, so that they would benefit from the protection and nurturing being a Canadianbestows. As other critics of Kenney’smeasure have pointed out, there is no bar to citizenship to the men who arepart of that paternalistic practice.

Perhaps you're right; we could give citizenship to any muslim woman who wears a veil, but deport or execute her husband.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

Yes finally. And they will have to clearly recite the oath so people can tell they are speaking English or French. This is good as it reduces the number of convenient Canadians. Immigrants have to accomodate Canada too, it is not all a one way street for Canada to do everything to please the newcomers. Some Canadians are so lazy here, they are like the marketers who always trying to get to "yes": Poisonous multiculturalism.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

This bill has nothing to do with the equality or inequality of women - it concerns one's identity when applying for citizenship.

Surely it would be better to grant them citizenship, veil orno veil, so that they would benefit from the protection and nurturing being a Canadianbestows.

In what way do you believe 'it would be better'? Better for who? The four women of the Shafia family certainly didn't 'benefit from the protection and nurturing being a Canadian bestows' and we always knew what they looked like.

As other critics of Kenney’smeasure have pointed out, there is no bar to citizenship to the men who arepart of that paternalistic practice.
We KNOW what the men look like.

Besides, there is a whiff of catering to post 9-11 prejudiceand xenophobia.
Whoa Nelly.........I smell something here but it most certainly has nothing to do with 9/11 or xenophobia.

Nevertheless, I am certain Minister Kenny, as a member of areligious community who does not grant full equality to women, is well aware ofthe destructive nature of paternalistic practice.
Uh, what would that 'religious community' be again????

This new law is simply stating that if you wish to become a citizen of our country, we need to know who you are and that starts with knowing what the heck you look like. As has been pointed out, the wearing of the veil is a matter of choice not a dictate of the Koran. That some women are not free to unveil due to the dictate of their husbands is not the business of our government, nor should it be.