Conservatives responsible for heckling in house

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Parliamentary potty-mouths make noise in House

OTTAWA — The excrement was hitting everything but the fan on Wednesday as members of Parliament hurled insults and swore at each other in the House of Commons.

The exchanges marked a new high — or low — in parliamentary conduct and served to highlight the extreme emotions and partisanship that has swept the federal political scene over the past few months.

In a particularly heated question period session, House Speaker Andrew Scheer could barely keep control as members of the government and opposition went after each other.

When Environment Minister Peter Kent chided opposition parties for not attending the latest international climate change conference in South Africa, Liberal MP Justin Trudeau called him a "piece of sh--."

Trudeau later apologized and asked that his remarks be stricken from the record, but only after noting that the Conservative government had forcefully prevented opposition parties from attending the conference.

"Peter Kent and the government, in contrast to all parliamentary tradition going back 20 years, had refused to allow any members of the opposition to attend the Durban conference," he said. "This is a tradition that goes back 20 years of bringing multiple voices to a conference. He did not, they did not."

The NDP also got in on the act. At one point, Fisheries Minister Keith Ashfield, in response to a question about cuts to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, asked whether he looked like a bully, to which New Democrat MP Ryan Cleary responded: "Yes sir, your department and you, sir, are a bully."

Cleary initially refused to apologize, prompting a furor from the Conservative side and a rebuke from the Speaker. Cleary eventually relented and withdrew his remark.

The Conservatives weren't virginal in their conduct.

During one exchange, Government House leader Peter Van Loan called attention to interim Liberal leader Bob Rae's absence from the House on Wednesday, saying that he had "checked out early."

Parliamentary tradition discourages discussing the absence of MPs as members are often drawn away from the House for parliamentary business.

But Van Loan refused to apologize.

"(On Tuesday, Rae) held his end-of-session news conference and availability session," Van Loan said. "He was summarizing the end of the session and the session had not yet ended."

University of Ottawa political science expert Michael Behiels said there is no doubt the Conservatives are responsible for the explosions of anger by continuing to press and to heckle and to try to undermine opposition parties at every opportunity despite having a majority government.

"And I think the opposition has its back against the wall and doesn't know what to do," he said. "Not a single opposition amendment has been accepted. Everything they try to do is basically laughed at, dismissed. So the opposition MPs have had it, and it's just pouring out."
Behiels predicted this pattern would continue for the foreseeable future.

"Harper's won his majority after 20 years (of) fighting for it and he's basically decided he's going to stick it in the opposition's faces at every opportunity," he said. "They just cannot let up with this sort of mentality."

The vulgarity wasn't limited only to the House on Wednesday.

Rae had started things off in a Twitter exchange with one of former Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff's policy advisers.

Adam Goldenberg had written about a public spat that has erupted between two prominent Toronto-area young Liberals, among other things and the fact former prime minister Jean Chretien had written a letter warning Canadians the Conservatives will target abortion and gay rights.

"Young Liberals attacking each other in the press," Goldenberg wrote. "Chretien warning about hidden agendas. Rae, (U.S. Republic presidential contender Newt) Gingrich, Kyoto . . . Um, what decade is this?"

In response, Rae wrote a terse: "What bullsh-- is this?"

The exchange was quickly spread across the Twitter-verse, with many recalling New Democrat MP Pat Martin's vitriol-charged tweeting in November, in which he unleashed an attack on the Conservative government's move to limit debate on the budget bill.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What is it you'd like to highlight with this article MF?

The immaturity of the bulk of the MP's on the Hill?

Or Justin getting his balls in a knot over a 20 year old tradition, when not that long ago, his party, along with the Bloc and the NDP, parted with over a hundred years of tradition, to force the sitting gov't to turn over documents pertaining to ongoing military action?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
What is it you'd like to highlight with this article MF?

The immaturity of the bulk of the MP's on the Hill?

Or Justin getting his balls in a knot over a 20 year old tradition, when not that long ago, his party, along with the Bloc and the NDP, parted with over a hundred years of tradition, to force the sitting gov't to turn over documents pertaining to ongoing military action?

How about the fact that government prevented opposition members from attending and then accusing those same members of being remiss for NOT attending? If it was me I would have called him far worse names than what Justin did along with the hypocrite label.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How about the fact that government prevented opposition members from attending and then accusing those same members of being remiss for NOT attending? If it was me I would have called him far worse names than what Justin did along with the hypocrite label.
They were prevented from going?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Saw the question period and while I thought the spectacle was kind of funny, I honestly didn't think it would make headline news. It seems like every question period has been this way for the last week or so, but the media is finally piping up.

Though Trudeau lost his cool, Kent was definitely the catalyst. He accused the opposition on the basis of an outright lie.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ya I read that too.

I also just finished reading May's recount of the conference.

Justin also thinks his Dad put Canada on the map. So you'll have to forgive me for thinking he's full of sh!t about 99% of the time.

Normal proceedure is for the Govt to invite Opposition MP's to things like this. They choose not to.
Ya so? That isn't forcefully preventing. Normal procedure for a sitting gov't, involved in a conflict, isn't to be forced by the House to provide material of sensitive military nature.

Saw the question period and while I thought the spectacle was kind of funny, I honestly didn't think it would make headline news. It seems like every question period has been this way for the last week or so, but the media is finally piping up.

Though Trudeau lost his cool, Kent was definitely the catalyst. He accused the opposition on the basis of an outright lie.
Oops, your ideology is showing again.

What was the lie?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Ya I read that too.

I also just finished reading May's recount of the conference.

Justin also thinks his Dad put Canada on the map. So you'll have to forgive me for thinking he's full of sh!t about 99% of the time.

I cannot stand JT but he was right on this. From what I am seeing and I refer to the Cotler incident is a bunch of BS going on in the Harper Govt - or as they used to be called, Canada's New Govt. Their maniacal concern on the difference in jail time for 4 or 5 MJ plants - I see ideology taking hold.

I do not like what I see.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Oops, your ideology is showing again.

What was the lie?

Kent accused the opposition of willfully not attending Durban.

Kent and the PM actually prevented any opposition members from attending Durban.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I cannot stand JT but he was right on this. From what I am seeing and I refer to the Cotler incident is a bunch of BS going on in the Harper Govt - or as they used to be called, Canada's New Govt. Their maniacal concern on the difference in jail time for 4 or 5 MJ plants - I see ideology taking hold.

I do not like what I see.
That's all well and good, but I haven't seen the evidence that the gov't forcefully prevented the opposition from attending.

I do however see, a lot of the usual ideologues getting all bent out of shape.

Kent accused the opposition of willfully not attending Durban.

Kent and the PM actually prevented any opposition members from attending Durban.
According to Justin, with whom you just emphatically agreed, they were forcefully prevented.

According to all news sources, they were merely not invited.

May attended. How did the jackbooted Con thugs miss her ample frame at the airport?

How come she evaded the jackbooted thugs and Justin and company couldn't?

To busy admiring their shiny boots? Must have brought back memories of his dads.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
That's all well and good, but I haven't seen the evidence that the gov't forcefully prevented the opposition from attending.

I do however see, a lot of the usual ideologues getting all bent out of shape.

According to Justin, with whom you just emphatically agreed, they were forcefully prevented.

According to all news sources, they were merely not invited.

May attended. How did the jackbooted Con thugs miss her ample frame at the airport?

How come she evaded the jackbooted thugs and Justin and company couldn't?

To busy admiring their shiny boots? Must have brought back memories of his dads.

The government delegation’s decision to ban opposition MPs is a break from tradition.

Opposition absence from Durban delegation reflects new majority: Kent | iPolitics

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Ah yes, spin is OK only when you post it. I was already aware if that fact.

How were they banned? Why did you ignore that May attended? Why did you ignore my initial questions?

Why shouldn't this thread be merged with the already ongoing thread on the topic you have admitted you want to push?

Easy there tiger.

I wasn't aware there was another thread when I posted.

They were banned in that they weren't part of the delegation so they had no voice in the matter. When they tried to appeal, the government simply didn't respond.

We should be supporting multiple voices if they need to be heard at these conferences instead of helicopter rides for fishing trips.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Ah yes, spin is OK only when you post it. I was already aware if that fact.

How were they banned? Why did you ignore that May attended? Why did you ignore my initial questions?

Why shouldn't this thread be merged with the already ongoing thread on the topic you have admitted you want to push?

Oh ya, and where is the forcefully?

The article states how Harper is appearing to govern over the next few years.

Remind you of another party that was killed at the voters booth?

The opposition-free Canadian delegation to COP 17 reflects a new reality at home: a Conservative majority government, says Environment Minister Peter Kent.

“We came to Durban with the intention of having a delegation that speaks with one voice, and that is what we’ve done,” Kent said during a conference call Monday, on his first day at the UN climate change conference.

The government delegation’s decision to ban opposition MPs is a break from tradition. During most of the past COPs, including the 2010 conference in Cancun, opposition members were part of the official Canada delegation.

But, Kent said, “We were in a minority government situation last year.”

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Easy there tiger.
Questions to hard?

They were banned in that they weren't part of the delegation so they had no voice in the matter. When they tried to appeal, the government simply didn't respond.
So in other words, they just weren't invited.

I think I'll give May a little more consideration in the next election.

Not only did she set all the ideologues on their collective asses, by attending the banned conference. She managed to out maneuver that jackbooted ban thugs.

Do need a barf bag when you do so much spinning? Or are you just used to it now, like a ballerina?

We should be supporting multiple voices if they need to be heard at these conferences instead of helicopter rides for fishing trips.
What's wrong with one voice, when our economy is on the line? You deflection aside and all.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
“We came to Durban with the intention of having a delegation that speaks with one voice, and that is what we’ve done,” Kent said during a conference call Monday, on his first day at the UN climate change conference..."
Given the BS the opposition spews (like placing the entire blame for failing to achieve our Kyoto obligations on the Cons), makes perfect sense to me.

Maybe if the opposition spent more time trying to do something substantial for Canada, instead of find ammo to perpetrate a great big gotchya on the Cons, they wouldn't get left at home.

I used to do the same thing with the kids, when they wanted to act like clowns.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Questions to hard?

So in other words, they just weren't invited.

I think I'll give May a little more consideration in the next election.

Not only did she set all the ideologues on their collective asses, by attending the banned conference. She managed to out maneuver that jackbooted ban thugs.

Do need a barf bag when you do so much spinning? Or are you just used to it now, like a ballerina?

What's wrong with one voice, when our economy is on the line? You deflection aside and all.

Give the Citizen the credit to have the ability to tell the difference between Fluff and Puff. The decision to pull out of Kyoto I have no problem with. The BS from the Govt is what i have a problem with.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No, they were deliberately excluded from the Canadian delegation.
So you admit they weren't forcefully prevented?

Because they just weren't invited. You can use any word, or group their of that you can find in a thesaurus, but in the end, they just weren't invited.

The first time in 20 years.
How sad for them. See my last post, and my first post, for why I don't care.

The BS from the Govt is what i have a problem with.
This gov't produces copious amounts of BS. There's no need for MF and his ilk to manufacture it.