Will NDP survive its transformation?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Nash wants economy to be NDP's strong suit - Politics - CBC News

Interesting article here.

Should the NDP shift from being focussed on social policy to being focussed on economic policy, I wonder how we will respond to that?

Though I really don't know how it will go, I can speculate on a few possible scenarios:

1. Especially more "enthusiastic" members of the NDP feel abandoned and either plug their noses and vote NDP anyway owing to a lack of any major party to the left of the NDP, or join a marxist party or separate from the NDP and form a new party essentially following the original principles of the old Federal NDP,

2. As the NDP shifts to the centre, many voters start to wonder why they should vote NDP when they could just as well vote Liberal,

3. As the NDP shifts to the centre, it squeezes the Liberals out of existance, or at least to the priphery or to an NDP-Liberal merger, making it a more stable major player vying for the government of the country,

4. Any combination of the above or other scenario.

In some respects, I would welcome a more economically focussed NDP, but how committed Dippers will respond to it could potentially be divisive in the party itself especially among its activits.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
The NDP hasn't shifted to the centre so much as it has shifted to Quebec. They seem to lack any direction since Layton left the earth.