Harper government putting ideology over economy: Rae

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

OTTAWA — Liberal interim leader Bob Rae has accused the Conservative government of using this past session of Parliament to pursue an ideological agenda instead of addressing the needs of Canadians, notably the economy.

"They've been focusing on issues that are, frankly, of secondary importance to Canadians," Rae told reporters at an end-of-year news conference. "The top-of-mind issue for Canadians is jobs and work. It's the economy and health care."

Parliament is preparing to rise after what has been a raucous four months. The Conservative government has accomplished the vast majority of its agenda by ramming through its massive crime bill, dismantling the Canadian Wheat Board's monopoly and abolishing the long-gun registry.

Much of those changes were done with haste as the government limited discussion and debate at all levels of Parliament, a tactic that earned as much recrimination from Liberals as the topics themselves.

The government fast-tracked five of the 21 bills put forward during this 66-day parliamentary session, Liberal House leader Marc Garneau said.

That works out to about a quarter of all legislation passed, including those controversial bills dealing with the wheat board, long-gun registry and crime bill.

In contrast, the last majority government under Jean Chretien and Paul Martin used restrictions eight times on 153 bills over 419 sitting days, or 5.2 per cent of all legislation.

The Conservative government has also limited discussion on bills at committee meetings and in the Senate, Garneau said, while refusing to entertain any amendments from opposition parties.

"His is a government that absolutely doesn't want to get involved in debate," he said. "(Prime Minister) Stephen Harper simply doesn't listen."

The Conservatives argue that Canadians gave them a clear mandate in the May federal election, and that they are simply fulfilling promises made during that campaign. This includes passing key legislation within 100 sitting days.

But Rae said the Conservatives' election victory doesn't give it the right to abuse its power, and he described the government's refusal to work with the other parties an "affront" to the values of the country and a threat to all Canadians.

"Canadians deserve to know the kind of government they have," Rae said, "and a government that treats Parliament this way is a government that will ultimately treat its citizens this way."

The Liberal leader's criticism also extended outside of Parliament, focusing on the government's telephone campaign in Irwin Cotler's Montreal riding in which constituents have complained they were told the Liberal MP had or was about to resign.

House Speaker Andrew Scheer on Tuesday described the campaign as a "reprehensible tactic," but refused to rule against the Conservatives, who have used arguments related to free speech to defend their actions.

Rae said the case has implications for all Canadians.

"If you condone telling lies and making phone calls into somebody's riding and playing those games, what would stop you from being similarly abusive in situations where you're keeping confidential information?" he said.

He called on Harper to "stop this rot" before it infects the rest of government.

However, Rae defended a letter written by former Liberal prime minister Jean Chretien that warned Liberals the Conservative government may be targeting abortion or gay rights now that it has eliminated the long-gun registry and walked away from Kyoto.

"We think these values are under attack," he said. "We think this is a bad government and we think there are a lot of Canadians who agree with us and we're going to talk about issues that we think matter to people."

The letter was published as part of a major Liberal fundraising campaign that the party says has raised more than $900,000 in just under two weeks.

"The Conservatives already ended gun control and Kyoto," Chretien wrote in a letter posted to the Liberal party website. "Next may be a woman's right to choose, or gay marriage. Then might come capital punishment. And one by one, the values we cherish as Canadians will be gone."

Other former Liberal leaders, including Martin and John Turner, also contributed letters, but neither was as pointed as Chretien, who sought to remind Liberals of how the party eliminated the deficit, kept Canada out of Iraq, led development of the Constitution and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and helped establish health care.

"Unless we are bold," Chretien added. "Unless we seize the moment. Everything we built will start being chipped away."

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Smart policy to pass the bills that are difficult - can be problems in the political sense. Liberals would have done the same -
Chretien always had a majority - Harper did not - so apples and oranges.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

OTTAWA — Liberal interim leader Bob Rae has accused the Conservative government of using this past session of Parliament to pursue an ideological agenda instead of addressing the needs of Canadians, notably the economy.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what cost the Liberals the election a few years ago.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I wasn't aware the conservative had an ideology. I thought they were too busy sucking on the American ball sack or teabagging for the politically astute.

(this should get me another thumbs down from Walter.)

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I wasn't aware the conservative had an ideology. I thought they were too busy sucking on the American ball sack or teabagging for the politically astute.

(this should get me another thumbs down from Walter.)

Why? Doesn't he endorse sucking on the American ball sack?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Nothing like the pot calling the kettle black. Just because it isn't NDP er ah Liberal dogma it must be ideology.

Maybe if Rae wasn't so far out in left field he could work with the current government.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Nothing like the pot calling the kettle black. Just because it isn't NDP er ah Liberal dogma it must be ideology.

Maybe if Rae wasn't so far out in left field he could work with the current government.

You should watch question period.

30% of the opposition intent is posturing, but most of the time they ask very pertinent questions that the CPC just dodge or use every fallacious trick in the book.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Goober is right............this is nothing new for a majority government no matter the political stripe. And it is a smart move to get all the promises out of the way now.........some of us having been waiting a very long time to see the end of such things as the gun registry. That the Conservatives are delivering on their promises when governments past failed to do so - most notably Chretien's 'read my lips' promise - is a mark in their favor.

That said, I have to wonder at the way the Conservatives are handling some issues. The Peter McKay fiasco and the Tony Clement debacle did little to further the cause and both were totally mishandled, IMHO.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Goober is right............this is nothing new for a majority government no matter the political stripe. And it is a smart move to get all the promises out of the way now.........some of us having been waiting a very long time to see the end of such things as the gun registry. That the Conservatives are delivering on their promises when governments past failed to do so - most notably Chretien's 'read my lips' promise - is a mark in their favor.

First, this is a very bad method of arguing that we need to stop if we want to make progress on discussions of ideology. I'm not referring to the Conservatives stance on the gun registry, but rather, the diversion to a former government as a justification for any current policy. The problem that I find with this is two fold: The most obvious reason is that the former party is not in power anymore and therefore this is an obvious diversion tactic used by the party currently in power. The second reason is less obvious but more pertinent if Canadians want to be more non-partisan. Specifically, we need to realize that no two governments under the same title enact the same policy. That is to say that the Liberals of the past are not necessarily the Liberals of the present. So, I strongly urge people to avoid these fallacies if we're actually going to have a constructive dialog on this matter.

Now, you mentioned the gun registry enacted by the Conservative government and I'm sure Canadians do not have any qualms with a government exerting their campaign promises, even if they didn't vote for them. But on this issue, the Conservatives are actually showing their ideological stripes by going beyond the campaign promises and deleting the data that has been collected already. I think many people see that as a petty move, especially since the CPC promote giving provinces the freedom to enact a registry on a provincial level. In provinces like Quebec, taxpayers will need to pay twice to start up the registry again if the Conservatives are successful in obliterating this data.

This is a bit of proof in the pudding that over-extending their power is coming at the fiscal expense of Canadian taxpayers. Now, Quebec is the only province so far to have the testicular fortitude to take them to court over it, but Ontario and B.C. have also made it clear that they won't be footing the bill for this gaffe.

Last edited: