Chretien pitching $5 Liberal donations

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Just plain sad.

Jonathan Kay: Why is Chrétien squandering his legacy on cheap propaganda for a failing party?

Until Stephen Harper wins his next majority, Jean Chrétien will be remembered as the most successful Canadian politician of our time. He unified the Liberal Party of Canada, stared down separatism, balanced the books and stood up for free trade. And he made it look easy. Putting aside ( :lol: ) the sponsorship scandal and Shawinigate, he has a solid legacy (;-) ). And he shouldn’t squander his reputation by writing cynical, and even ridiculous, fundraising propaganda for the political party that started disintegrating the second he stopped being its leader.

“Unless we are bold. Unless we seize the moment. Everything we built will start being chipped away,” Mr. Chrétien wrote in a fundraising email circulated on Tuesday. “The Conservatives already ended gun control and Kyoto. Next may be a woman’s right to choose, or gay marriage. Then might come capital punishment. And one by one, the values we cherish as Canadians will be gone.”
The email ends, somewhat anti-climactically, with a solicitation for a $5 donation. Yes, it has come down to this for the cash-starved, third-place party that just a decade ago seemed destined to govern Canada in perpetuity.

more stuff:

Jonathan Kay: Why is Chrétien squandering his legacy on cheap propaganda for a failing party? | Full Comment | National Post

Liberals drag out Chretien for fundraising letter on abortion « BC Blue: One BC Conservative's view on it all…

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
How much has Harper added to Canada's debt load? I make it roughly twenty billion in new debt, and that is not counting
the F-35s.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
How much has Harper added to Canada's debt load? I make it roughly twenty billion in new debt, and that is not counting
the F-35s.
Well when you compare that amount in 6 years to Trudeau's $400 billion in 12 years.......................................!!!! :lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well when you compare that amount in 6 years to Trudeau's $400 billion in 12 years.......................................!!!! :lol:

JLM the facts are readily available. Mulroney added forty to sixty billion to the debt every year he was in office.
Nobody was as bad as Mulroney......unless Harper is worse...:roll:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM the facts are readily available. Mulroney added forty to sixty billion to the debt every year he was in office.

When you pro rate it to population Trudeau's squandering was equal to Mulroney's. But so what? It's like comparing Idi Amin with Saddam Hussein- if it takes more 5 seconds it's an utter waste of time. :lol:

Here's some interesting reading for you #Juan on Trudeau vs. Mulroney.................hope I'm not pissing on your parade. :lol:

BOB PLAMONDON: Mulroney over Trudeau | iPolitics

I never did have any use for Mulroney personally, too shifty for me, BUT to be fair he was saddled with paying the interest on Trudeau's debt. :lol:

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The point is that the Liberal Party's and the Old Guard still think the old scare tactic is going to work and it is that line of thinking has got them where they are today.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

One thing for sure, I'll bet Old Diefenbaker is turning in his grave!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I hope they buried him face down for killing the Avro.

The ironic part of that is of all the criticism I've heard of Diefenbaker over the years besides difficulties with his cabinet, that is the only one people seem to come up with. I liked the man because I thought he was honest and for a change we had someone from the West. There's a lot worse than John Diefenbaker both as a man and as a politician.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There's a lot worse than John Diefenbaker both as a man and as a politician.
You mean like someone that dressed up like a Nazi brown shirt, goosestepped along the Rideau, and praised brutal communist dictators?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Really? You're an Arrow conspiracy nutter?

I'm crushed.

The conspiracy is not that he killed the project,
The conspiracy hangs on the reason for it.

When I started in the mill in '62, another man who started about the same time I did, but as an engineer, had worked on the Avro as top hydrolics engineer.
I got to hear quite a bit about it, straight from a guy who actually work on it.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The conspiracy is not that he killed the project,
The conspiracy hangs on the reason for it.

When I started in the mill in '62, another man who started about the same time I did, but as an engineer, had worked on the Avro as top hydrolics engineer.
I got to hear quite a bit about it, straight from a guy who actually work on it.

My old man worked as a mechanic on the Arrow. Of course, everything he had told me is also a conspiracy to the apologists.