Military warned of fallout from MacKay chopper ride

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Military warned of fallout from MacKay chopper ride

An air force officer warned that Defence Minister Peter MacKay’s ride on a search and rescue (SAR) chopper risked political controversy — and that’s exactly what happened.

Opposition politicians pointed to documents obtained by The Toronto Star under access to information legislation as proof MacKay was using the Cormorant helicopter for inappropriate travel.

In July 2010, MacKay was on vacation at a remote fishing lodge on the Gander River. MacKay said he had to cut his vacation short, and arranged the time with the SAR helicopter as a demonstration of the unit’s capabilities.

“So, when the guy who’s fishing at the fishing hole next to the minister sees the big yellow helicopter arrive and decides to use his cellphone to video the minister getting on board and post it on Youtube, who will be answering the mail on that one?” an officer asked in an email.

“If we are tasked to do this we of course will comply — given the negative press though, I would likely recommend against it, especially in view of the fact that the air force receives (or at least used to) regular (access to information requests) specifically targeting travel on CF aircraft by ministers.”

A spokesman for MacKay said the ride was completely appropriate as a demonstration of the SAR capabilities of the unit. “Minister MacKay left personal time to return to work early,” the spokesman said.

“As has also been stated before, Minister MacKay received a demonstration of the capabilities of our search and rescue technicians.”

The emails obtained by The Toronto Star, though, indicate that initially the request from MacKay’s staff was only about giving the minister a ride.

Only a day after the initial request did officials say the airlift would be under the “guise” of a search-and-rescue training operation.

In the House of Commons Thursday, MacKay was asked to answer about the “guise” from Liberal MP Scott Simms, whose riding takes in Gander.

“What’s also a guise is for the honourable member (Simms), who we know also flew in a Cormorant helicopter on several occasions, to stand up and criticize,” MacKay said.

Simms, speaking to The Telegram, said it was a bogus comparison, because he spent a full day with the Gander unit, seeing what they can do.

“I didn’t use it as a taxi,” he said. “I mean, this was 30 minutes in the air, and this was the part that was supposed to be, you know, let’s see how you guys train.”

“The guys and girls at the base — the SAR techs, the pilots, the flight engineers — God love ’em, because they’re the ultimate heroes and this is the wrong reason for them to be in the news.”

Former NDP defence critic Jack Harris said the only thing that would really count as a search and rescue was the fact that MacKay had to be hoisted into the helicopter because there wasn’t room for the chopper to land.

“You could call that a demonstration of the use of a hoist if you want, but the reality is that this is clearly being done for the convenience of the minister’s transportation,” he said. “This doesn’t pass the smell test.” Following the flight in the Cormorant helicopter, MacKay got into a government Challenger jet and flew to Ontario to participate in a government announcement.

Military warned of fallout from MacKay chopper ride - Local - The Telegram

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
He'l stick to his "training" story,in a day or two a better crisis will come up and everyone will live happily ever after.Myself.I think he's a lying sack of poo and abuses his position.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I thought this thing was over last month or whenever, but I'm surprised it's popping up again in parliament.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Maybe CCCP will dump huge bucks into ad companies to spin this and let those ad people spend like bailed out bankers?

I thought this thing was over last month or whenever, but I'm surprised it's popping up again in parliament.
I thought we didn't have an on the ball opposition?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
We don't.

This issue, along with Clement's lost paper trail, Attawapiskat, Keystone XL, the Omnibus bill, and Pat Martin's F You tweet which got media attention to Conservatives anti-democratically shoving legislation through parliament all add up to a very competent NDP opposition speaking on behalf of its constituents.

E-mails contradict MacKay in use of military chopper
2010 fishing trip; Flurry of messages included warnings of negative publicity

Defence Minister Peter MacKay found himself on the defensive Thursday after news emerged of internal department emails suggesting he used a search-and-rescue helicopter in July 2010 for personal reasons and not to participate in a military demonstration, as he had told parliament.

The emails indicate military officials trotted out the idea of a training mission as a way to cover for MacKay's private use of the Cormorant, which some officials had warned could generate negative attention.

The emails, obtained by Postmedia News through access-to-information, could prove extremely damaging to the minister, with NDP defence critic David Christopherson saying it appears the minister misled parliament.

"It looks very much like the minister got caught out here," he said. "The documents certainly do not back up the minister's story."

The first email arrived the morning of July 6, 2010, from Col. Frances Allen, indicating MacKay was at a location near Gander referred to as Burnt Rattle and that he had "a requirement for a helicopter airlift" on July 9, 2010. "(MacKay) is currently at this location, but unexpectedly must be in London, ON for an announcement at noon on 9 July 10," reads the email from Col. Frances Allen.

Burnt Rattle has been identified as a remote, private fishing lodge on Newfoundland's Gander River.

Allen asked if search-and-rescue personnel in the area would be able to pick up the minister, saying the alternative was a 90-minute boat ride and a 30-minute drive to get to the Gander airport.

The note does not say why MacKay could not have left the day before to catch his flight, or why the two-hour alternative was unacceptable. Nor does it make any mention of a training or demonstration flight.

Rather, Allen's email prompted a flurry of discussion among military officials in Ottawa, Winnipeg, Kingston and Newfoundland to see which search-and-rescue unit would be able to undertake the task. "I am confident we will be able to accommodate on Fri morning. The weather looks good. Let's just hope for a quiet SAR night," reads one partly blacked-out email from a Major SC Reid of the Gander squadron.

At one point during the discussion, a different officer, Col. Bruce Ploughman, raised concerns.

"When the guy who's fishing at the fishing hole next to the minister sees the big yellow helicopter arrive and decides to use his cellphone to video the minister getting on board and post it on YouTube," Ploughman wrote, "who will be answering the mail on that one?"

Last edited:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
If, as a senior cabinet minister, he was recalled to address something of immediate importance, then I don't see any issues with using whatever gov't resources were available to get him to work. To that end the question should be asked"why was he recalled from his vacation?"

All in all though, even if it was a joy-ride by MacKay, its small stuff for the opposition to be dwelling on. Slap him once and get on with the real business of gov't.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
This issue, along with Clement's lost paper trail, Attawapiskat, Keystone XL, the Omnibus bill, and Pat Martin's F You tweet which got media attention to Conservatives anti-democratically shoving legislation through parliament all add up to a very competent NDP opposition speaking on behalf of its constituents.

E-mails contradict MacKay in use of military chopper
2010 fishing trip; Flurry of messages included warnings of negative publicity

Defence Minister Peter MacKay found himself on the defensive Thursday after news emerged of internal department emails suggesting he used a search-and-rescue helicopter in July 2010 for personal reasons and not to participate in a military demonstration, as he had told parliament.

The emails indicate military officials trotted out the idea of a training mission as a way to cover for MacKay's private use of the

Cormorant, which some officials had warned could generate negative attention.

The emails, obtained by Postmedia News through access-to-information, could prove extremely damaging to the minister, with NDP defence critic David Christopherson saying it appears the minister misled parliament.

"It looks very much like the minister got caught out here," he said. "The documents certainly do not back up the minister's story."

The first email arrived the morning of July 6, 2010, from Col. Frances Allen, indicating MacKay was at a location near Gander referred to as Burnt Rattle and that he had "a requirement for a helicopter airlift" on July 9, 2010. "(MacKay) is currently at this location, but unexpectedly must be in London, ON for an announcement at noon on 9 July 10," reads the email from Col. Frances Allen.

Burnt Rattle has been identified as a remote, private fishing lodge on Newfoundland's Gander River.

Allen asked if search-and-rescue personnel in the area would be able to pick up the minister, saying the alternative was a 90-minute boat ride and a 30-minute drive to get to the Gander airport.

The note does not say why MacKay could not have left the day before to catch his flight, or why the two-hour alternative was unacceptable. Nor does it make any mention of a training or demonstration flight.

Rather, Allen's email prompted a flurry of discussion among military officials in Ottawa, Winnipeg, Kingston and Newfoundland to see which search-and-rescue unit would be able to undertake the task. "I am confident we will be able to accommodate on Fri morning. The weather looks good. Let's just hope for a quiet SAR night," reads one partly blacked-out email from a Major SC Reid of the Gander squadron.

At one point during the discussion, a different officer, Col. Bruce Ploughman, raised concerns.

"When the guy who's fishing at the fishing hole next to the minister sees the big yellow helicopter arrive and decides to use his cellphone to video the minister getting on board and post it on YouTube," Ploughman wrote, "who will be answering the mail on that one?"

NIce spin

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I figure that cabinet ministers are expected to be places, and the gov't should provide them transport, this whole thing to me is a non-issue, and it wouldn't matter what gov't is sitting. It's a non-issue, except to people looking for something unimportant to rant about.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If, as a senior cabinet minister, he was recalled to address something of immediate importance, then I don't see any issues with using whatever gov't resources were available to get him to work. To that end the question should be asked"why was he recalled from his vacation?"

All in all though, even if it was a joy-ride by MacKay, its small stuff for the opposition to be dwelling on. Slap him once and get on with the real business of gov't.
Does that mean I can go down to the airport and jump in a NRCan helo to go for a spin? He's just a Canadian like you and I. He has no special priveleges.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I figure that cabinet ministers are expected to be places, and the gov't should provide them transport, this whole thing to me is a non-issue, and it wouldn't matter what gov't is sitting. It's a non-issue, except to people looking for something unimportant to rant about.

Why is it a non-issue?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Does that mean I can go down to the airport and jump in a NRCan helo to go for a spin? He's just a Canadian like you and I. He has no special priveleges.

I was under the impression that he was a cabinet minister.

Why is it a non-issue?

Because it's not fuking important, that's why.

People like to piss and moan about stupid things, while the government tries to fuk us over, distracting people by worrying about who rides in what vehicle.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Why is it a non-issue?

I have no doubt if the role was reversed the barking would be the same, but the thing with MacKay seems to be a bit of a stretch.

I remember about 10 years ago when the acting Governor of Massachusetts was using a state police chopper to get back and forth to work and her personal assistants to babysit her kids.

I think her name was Jane Swift LOL

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Exactly. He''s not part of any SAR division. He's a regular Joe blow nobody. He wasn't handed a parchment stating he was above you or I in anyway shape or form being able to side step rules of personal use.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Because it's not fuking important, that's why.

People like to piss and moan about stupid things, while the government tries to fuk us over, distracting people by worrying about who rides in what vehicle.

Absolutely right. The guy is the minister of defence. I would say he can get a ride in any military aircraft he feels like.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Exactly. He''s not part of any SAR division. He's a regular Joe blow nobody. He wasn't handed a parchment stating he was above you or I in anyway shape or form being able to side step rules of personal use.

And that's why the government has no official planes for VIPs, and nobody in government has a car or driver, and nobody in government has RCMP protection.

Glad that's settled.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
And that's why the government has no official planes for VIPs, and nobody in government has a car or driver, and nobody in government has RCMP protection.

Glad that's settled.
When their job is SAR they can fly SAR otherwise get in your supplied govt Ford Taurus and get the **** back to work.