NDP leader slams PM's Attawapiskat response

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Interim NDP Leader Nycole Turmel has denounced Prime Minister Stephen Harper for his comments that the government has spent millions in the troubled northern Ontario community of Attawapiskat and is unhappy with the results.

Turmel returned to Ottawa after visiting the remote James Bay community, which declared an emergency a month ago over a dire housing crisis as winter approached.

"What I saw is terrible. What I saw is unacceptable in Canada. And this government, his only answer, he wants to get value for his money. This is not the right answer," she said to reporters in Ottawa on Wednesday.

"These people are living in sheds, these people are living in tents, without having their kids around them, without heat. And it is –15. Today it's even –20. That's what I saw yesterday, and I would love this prime minister to go there, and then maybe he wouldn't talk about money, he would talk about the people."

During question period on Tuesday, Harper had said: "This government has spent some $90 million since coming to office just on Attawapiskat. That's over $50,000 for every man, woman and child in the community. Obviously we're not very happy that the results do not seem to have been achieved for that, we're concerned about that, we have officials looking into it and taking action."

Turmel said 80 per cent of the money goes to education, yet the community is still without a proper school.

“I won’t play with figures,” she said. “The figures we got from his representative up north, there’s a deficit of $4.5 million, and you have to break it down per year, so it’s really $5,000 or $6,000 per person, and you cannot go anywhere with $6,500 in a municipality where you see poverty as we saw yesterday.”

As of 8 a.m. Wednesday, the Red Cross had received $63,000 in donations for Attawapiskat, Saunders said. Housing presents the greatest problem in Attawapiskat.

Attawapiskat, like many reserves, is suffering an acute housing shortage. Families are doubled up in the small homes that line the handful of streets making up this town. Others have been squeezed out of their residences and had to seek shelter in shacks, teepees, tents or giant construction trailers donated by De Beers, a diamond mine about 80 kilometres from the reserve.

These families lack the basics of life in the North: running water, plumbing, insulation and proper heating.

De Beers makes employing Attawapiskat members a top priority, but only a small proportion of their salaries seems to flow back home to deal with harsh conditions. The miners move away, or find the rules of reserve life too restrictive to put their savings into.

Now, with the band's finances in a mess, Ottawa is taking a bigger role in monitoring spending on the reserve.

NDP leader slams PM's Attawapiskat response - Canada - CBC News

Attawapiskat by the numbers

Population: 1,800
Houses: 300
Tents: 5
Sheds: 17
Waiting list for housing: 314 applications
People living in De Beers trailers: 90
Cost of maintaining trailers: $100,000 a year
Federal housing allocation for 2011-12: $581,407
Cost of building a new house: $250,000
Federal money for renovating five condemned houses: $500,000
Cost of renovating one condemned house: $50,000-$100,000
Federal stimulus money for housing in 2009-10: $450,000
Benefit payments from De Beers mine since July 2008: $10.5 million (held in trust fund by community)
Amount in De Beers business contracts with Attawapiskat related to mine construction and operation: $325 million
Amount needed to meet housing needs: $84 million

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Its about time this place got some attention. I`m from Timmins. We`ve been hearing about this for well over ten years. They usually wind up in Timmins when the place evacuates-which is fairly often.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Its about time this place got some attention. I`m from Timmins. We`ve been hearing about this for well over ten years. They usually wind up in Timmins when the place evacuates-which is fairly often.

There are also quite a few here in Kap and I believe in Cochrane also...It's a damn shame....

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
"These people are living in sheds, these people are living in tents, without having their kids around them, without heat. And it is –15. Today it's even –20. That's what I saw yesterday, and I would love this prime minister to go there, and then maybe he wouldn't talk about money, he would talk about the people."

The PM has visited many more reserves than you Nycole but trust the NDP leader to wait until the media is around before doing so. You might also want to visit some of the remote reserves in your home province of Quebec for an eye-opener. What hubris.

So where did all the money go? Sounds to me like somebody took some money somewhere and had themselves a party.

Here's a couple of gems I picked up on the Huff post. Members of the Attawapiskat community used helicopters to go hunting - that one from a native who lives on the Attawapiskat reserve. The band used money earmarked for education to buy a zamboni for their rink - that last one was just mentioned again by Robert Fife during CTV's Press Gallery.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
What kind of houses to the chiefs live in?

Got a new puker that allows me to increase size of all windows, so as long as I'm using this puker I won't have to increase the size of the font in my posts.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
In my opinion, the big problem with Conservatives is they can't seem to sort out the difference between the social aspect of a nation and the business aspect of a company.

Plus, the crustiest of them don't like opinions counter to their own....

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
In my opinion, the big problem with Conservatives is they can't seem to sort out the difference between the social aspect of a nation and the business aspect of a company.

Plus, the crustiest of them don't like opinions counter to their own....

They're quite good at spin, but really lacking in leadership. Definitely not official majority material.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Well suck it up buttercup,next election in about 4 years.

If you really knew me, you'd get that this was a tongue-in-cheek statement mimicking commentary about how the NDP are not fit to be the official opposition.

In which case, suck it up buttercup, they just slam dunked the CPC on this issue. :D

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Attawapiskat action by Ottawa draws fire
Prime minister to meet First Nations national chief

The government's decision to put Attawapiskat in northern Ontario under third-party management sparked anger Thursday from an Opposition MP, who said Ottawa is attacking a First Nations community that is "dying in slow motion."

“The Harper government has told the other communities, 'You speak up, we will take you out.' That is as blunt and brutal a colonial message as could be delivered,” NDP MP Charlie Angus said.

Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan announced the measure in question period Wednesday as the James Bay community of about 1,800 struggles with a housing crisis .

"We are placing the community in third-party management to ensure community needs are addressed," Duncan said.

The emergency housing crisis declared about a month ago prompted the arrival of Red Cross relief on Tuesday to aid some families living in tents as temperatures plummeted to –20 C. "Part of the manager's role will be to administer my department's funding, which is normally managed by the First Nation directly," Duncan said.

He has also requested a comprehensive audit to identify how money has been spent in the community of about 1,800, and what oversight measures have been taken in the past five years.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said earlier this week that the government had spent $90 million in the community since he entered office in 2006, and the suggestion that the community has mismanaged the money has provoked anger.

Angus, the NDP member for Timmins-James Bay, accused the government of attacking the community leadership rather than helping it. “This community has been crying out for help. The Red Cross are on the ground. People have been basically dying in slow motion… when the question was asked, 'Where is the federal government?' they turned around, decided to attack the community leadership and throwing the blame entirely on the community. It’s really a disturbing pattern.”

Angus said the government’s response is designed to silence aboriginal communities with similar problems elsewhere in Canada.

Interim Liberal Leader Bob Rae said the $90-million figure is misleading, as it includes funding for education, water, sewers and housing infrastructure, services normally covered by the municipalities or the provinces elsewhere in the country.

Harper is scheduled to meet with Shawn Atleo, Assembly of First Nations national chief, at the prime minister's office on Parliament Hill on Thursday.

Atleo on Wednesday slammed Ottawa’s response to the Attawapiskat crisis.

“Ottawa knows best what is for First Nations and imposes its will? That legacy has not worked and that is the status quo we must smash.” Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence denied there had been mismanagement of funds, but acknowledged the band had difficulty with accounting procedures and reporting requirements.

"We're improving the way it is now, but we need qualified staff to meet the financial work," she said.

Spence was shocked to hear the community had been put under third-party management.

"I guess, as First Nations, when we do ask for assistance and make a lot of noise, we get penalized for it," she told CBC News on Wednesday. "So, you know, to put us in third party while we're in crisis, that's very shameful and a disgrace from the government."

Attawapiskat action by Ottawa draws fire - Canada - CBC News

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
As far as I know the Harperites want a 3rd party to do an audit, and this is what has the chiefs knickers in knots. I think the audit is a good idea as it IS a good idea to know where your (our) money is going. Not surprising the chiefs don't like it.

That being said, it should have been done many years ago. Some control effected. In spite of all the claims of "wanting to look after their own affairs" the results are sad. - about the same as being good stewards of the woods and waters......bullshlt!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Interim NDP Leader Nycole Turmel has denounced Prime Minister Stephen Harper for his comments that the government has spent millions in the troubled northern Ontario community of Attawapiskat and is unhappy with the results.

Turmel returned to Ottawa after visiting the remote James Bay community, which declared an emergency a month ago over a dire housing crisis as winter approached.

"What I saw is terrible. What I saw is unacceptable in Canada. And this government, his only answer, he wants to get value for his money. This is not the right answer," she said to reporters in Ottawa on Wednesday.

During question period on Tuesday, Harper had said: "This government has spent some $90 million since coming to office just on Attawapiskat. That's over $50,000 for every man, woman and child in the community. Obviously we're not very happy that the results do not seem to have been achieved for that, we're concerned about that, we have officials looking into it and taking action."

Turmel said 80 per cent of the money goes to education, yet the community is still without a proper school.

“I won’t play with figures,” she said. “The figures we got from his representative up north, there’s a deficit of $4.5 million, and you have to break it down per year, so it’s really $5,000 or $6,000 per person, and you cannot go anywhere with $6,500 in a municipality where you see poverty as we saw yesterday.”

As of 8 a.m. Wednesday, the Red Cross had received $63,000 in donations for Attawapiskat, Saunders said. Housing presents the greatest problem in Attawapiskat.

Attawapiskat, like many reserves, is suffering an acute housing shortage. Families are doubled up in the small homes that line the handful of streets making up this town. Others have been squeezed out of their residences and had to seek shelter in shacks, teepees, tents or giant construction trailers donated by De Beers, a diamond mine about 80 kilometres from the reserve.

These families lack the basics of life in the North: running water, plumbing, insulation and proper heating.

De Beers makes employing Attawapiskat members a top priority, but only a small proportion of their salaries seems to flow back home to deal with harsh conditions. The miners move away, or find the rules of reserve life too restrictive to put their savings into.

Now, with the band's finances in a mess, Ottawa is taking a bigger role in monitoring spending on the reserve.

NDP leader slams PM's Attawapiskat response - Canada - CBC News

Attawapiskat by the numbers

Population: 1,800
Houses: 300
Tents: 5
Sheds: 17
Waiting list for housing: 314 applications
People living in De Beers trailers: 90
Cost of maintaining trailers: $100,000 a year
Federal housing allocation for 2011-12: $581,407
Cost of building a new house: $250,000
Federal money for renovating five condemned houses: $500,000
Cost of renovating one condemned house: $50,000-$100,000
Federal stimulus money for housing in 2009-10: $450,000
Benefit payments from De Beers mine since July 2008: $10.5 million (held in trust fund by community)
Amount in De Beers business contracts with Attawapiskat related to mine construction and operation: $325 million
Amount needed to meet housing needs: $84 million

How many permanent jobs are there in Attawapiskat ? How many of the 1800 people are working?
I'm all for immediate help for these people but not just throwing money around like we have been doing.
I would like to know how many villages that are in similar situations in the north.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Looks like Turmel and Angus bringing attention to this matter is getting the government to move...

Attawapiskat emergency shelter available, Duncan says
Prime minister to meet First Nations national chief

An emergency management plan has been invoked for Attawapiskat, said Duncan, which will allow the use of a healing centre, sportsplex and other buildings to house people in need.

“What we have determined is that there is adequate clean, dry available shelter with running water and electricity available in the community… We want to see [people housed] as soon as possible. There is no reason why it can’t happen today,” said Duncan. “We know that is not the medium- and long-term solution, but we want to make sure the urgent needs of the community are looked after immediately.”

Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan announced the measure in question period Wednesday as the James Bay community of about 1,800 struggles with a housing crisis .

The emergency housing crisis declared about a month ago prompted the arrival of Red Cross relief on Tuesday to aid some families living in tents as temperatures plummeted to –20 C.

"Part of the manager's role will be to administer my department's funding, which is normally managed by the First Nation directly," Duncan said.

He has also requested a comprehensive audit to identify how money has been spent in the community of about 1,800, and what oversight measures have been taken in the past five years.

"Housing and capital infrastructure reports are overdue," Duncan told CBC News Network. "I know that their housing funding allocation is underspent. And we know there was some criticism by the auditor who looked at the books. And I would say, the department has been very, very patient with this community."

Angus, the NDP member for Timmins-James Bay, accused the government of attacking the community leadership rather than helping it. “This community has been crying out for help. The Red Cross are on the ground. People have been basically dying in slow motion… when the question was asked, 'Where is the federal government?' they turned around, decided to attack the community leadership and throwing the blame entirely on the community. It’s really a disturbing pattern.”

Harper is scheduled to meet with Shawn Atleo, Assembly of First Nations national chief, at the prime minister's office on Parliament Hill on Thursday.

Attawapiskat emergency shelter available, Duncan says

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
How many permanent jobs are there in Attawapiskat ? How many of the 1800 people are working?
I'm all for immediate help for these people but not just throwing money around like we have been doing.
I would like to know how many villages that are in similar situations in the north.
Where are there ANY permanent jobs? Indians were shoved out of the way onto backwater reserves. Perhaps they weren't expected to be wily enough to survive all these years?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Charlie Angus isn't my favourite MP-he was mine for 4 years, but he has been tireless in working to get aboriginal issues recognized. More should be doing this as it isn't an isolated incident.

An independent audit sounds like a good idea. Its well known that there are corrupt chiefs out there. I'm sure the natives would like those people exposed just as much as taxpayers would. The government should not be writing a cheque to them without checking in to make sure the money is being used properly.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I know in every small community or Hamlet I have been in and thats most of them north of Hudsons Bay there is a waiting list in all of them for not just houses but even an apartment.
Jobs are at a premium and wages are the same or worse then in the south.
Lots of jobs at the airports or northern store pay a little over ten bucks an hour.That might buy you a quart of milk.