Quebec playground language police

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Awww, isn't that cute.

No recess from French as Montreal schools to scan playground chatter

MONTREAL • The playgrounds, hallways and cafeterias of Quebec’s largest school board will soon be French-only zones as authorities move to silence other languages, even during recess.

In a bid to ensure its 110,000 students master French, the Commission scolaire de Montréal has announced a new code of conduct declaring French de rigueur at all times during the school day.

Diane De Courcy, the board’s chairwoman, said the approach will be persuasive not punitive.

“There will be no language police,” ...*cough*...bullsh!t...*cough again*...she said. Instead, monitors who overhear children using their mother tongue during recess will simply remind them of the rules.

more fun and games

Montreal schools to start scanning playgrounds for English chatter | News | National Post

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
They do this in Ontario French schools too. Or at least they were in the early 90s when I was in a French school here. At the time I thought it was a stupid rule, and I still do.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I would not be surprised to see someone or some group bring this forward as a charter violation, which it is. This is a bilingual country and we therefore have the right to speak either language at any time at our preference. I certainly hope this falls quickly so no other institution tries to follow the bad example the Montreal school board is setting.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would not be surprised to see someone or some group bring this forward as a charter violation, which it is. This is a bilingual country and we therefore have the right to speak either language at any time at our preference. I certainly hope this falls quickly so no other institution tries to follow the bad example the Montreal school board is setting.

Notwithstanding Clause.

Quebec has been known to abuse it.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I am wondering what would happen if this happened outside of Quebec and somebody tried to stop an immigrant from speaking their native language at recess and made them speak English?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Forcing one language in any social setting is stupid. We should be encouraging the ability to speak both French and English as we are a bilingual country.

Extend French language rights, NDP says

An NDP MP is calling for Quebec’s French language protection to extend to the province’s workers who fall under federal jurisdiction.

Robert Aubin has tabled a private member’s bill that would extend the rights of Quebec’s French Language Charter to employees in the province who work in sectors covered under federal law.

The French Language Charter protects the right of Quebeckers to carry out their work in French, receive communication from their employer in French and protect them from firing if they ask for those rights to be respected.

But it doesn’t cover employees who work in industries that are federally regulated, like telecommunications, banking or some transportation companies.

NDP Deputy Leader Thomas Mulcair, an MP from Montreal, says it’s a piece that’s been missing from the French Language Charter since Aug. 26, 1977, the date it was adopted. “It’s taken for granted – but we’re trying to extend to hundreds of thousands of workers who work for enterprises that are covered under the Canadian labour code,” Mulcair said.

A worker at a cell phone company in Rimouski, Que., doesn’t have that protection, Mulcair said. Neither does an employee working in a chartered bank, while a worker at a cooperative like Caisse Desjardins does. Bus drivers working in Gatineau, where some of the routes cross into Ottawa, fall into the same category.

Aubin says the bill continues a promise made during the election to recognize the Quebec nation within Canada.

In Question Period, Aubin asked the government whether it would work with the NDP on the bill. Private members’ bills take much longer to make their way through Parliament than bills sponsored by government ministers.

But Jacques Gourde, the parliamentary secretary responsible for official languages, didn’t address the question. “The government will continue to promote the use of both official languages in this country,” he said.

Extend French language rights, NDP says - Politics - CBC News

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
French language "rights" went to far with Bill 101. They dont need more extensions.