Should MPs be banned from crossing the floor while in office?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Should MPs be banned from crossing the floor while in office? - Your Community

Your thoughts on this?

IMO parties have enough power already without giving them even more. Freedom of association I say.

Floor-crossing ban proposed by NDP bill - Canada - CBC News

“Members shouldn’t play petty politics and think only of their career, by changing political parties whenever they like,” said Ravignat in a statement. “MPs were elected personally, and under their party banner. We must ensure that members are accountable to their constituents.”

I would counter that by saying that the candidate never chose to have his party's name appear under his name on his constituents' ballots. Certainly we won't hold him accountable for what is not even within his control.

“I am happy to support my colleague who is bringing the issue back to Parliament,” said Stoffer. “At the present time, any member can cross the House without accountability to their constituents. We are determined to prevent this from happening once and for all.”

Of course they're accountability, at least every five years. Maybe his constituents support his crossing the floor, especially if he's made a promise his party is now trying to force him to break. Let his constituents decide, not the party politburo.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm not sure about outright banning it. Perhaps they should either be forced to sit as independents if they are truly at odds with their party mid-term or it should be put to a by-election in their riding. Either way I figure they'll think long and hard on it if it's only just their careers they are concerned about.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm kind of torn here...

On one hand, if they feel they can better serve their constituents by crossing the floor. I can't find cause to object.

On the other, they were elected as a representative of a specific party.

I think the best course of action would be to step down, resign from their party and run again, under the others banner, or as an independent.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I'm kind of torn here...

On one hand, if they feel they can better serve their constituents by crossing the floor. I can't find cause to object.

I think the best course of action would be to step down, resign from their party and run again, under the others banner, or as an independent.

Like he said.........

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I'm like CDNBear in a way. I see 2 situations where this could possibly arise.

First is that an MP is asked to leave a caucus for some reason by the party. In this case, they should be free to do whatever they feel is best for their constituents.

Second is an MP has a "crisis of conscience". In this case, I think they should sit as an independent until the next election, where they can seek nomination in whatever party they wish. I don't think they need to resign the seat early though: part of the stewardship they are assuming is also to spare us the cost of unnecessary by-elections (I still shake my head at Sheila Copps stunt back in the day of resigning and then running again in her own by-election...).

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't think they need to resign the seat early though: part of the stewardship they are assuming is also to spare us the cost of unnecessary by-elections...
That seems reasonable.

(I still shake my head at Sheila Copps stunt back in the day of resigning and then running again in her own by-election...).
Actually, I applaud her sticking to her commitment.

What I found puzzling, was her reelection.

Did you ever see Donato's cartoon, of Hamilton Butt heads?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Should MPs be banned from crossing the floor while in office?

Certainly - but I think the ban should allow for the odd bathroom break.

Seriously, If the district voted for the party, then the rep should get approval from the constituents before leaving that party. That includes expulsions from the caucus

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It's works for me. Floor crossing is a betrayal of those who voted for you.

that depends. As an example, imagine you're an NDP MP who ran on scrapping the gun registry and the your party then tries to force you to defend the registry. Should you not stand up to your party on behalf of your campaign promise and, if necessary, resign from teh party rather than abandon your promise for the sake of the party?

I'm kind of torn here...

Correct, they were elected first past the post, so it was them as persons not their party that was elected.

Interesting article on it here:

NDPWatch: Why suddenly so concerned about floor crossing, Official Opposition? - Inside Politics

I think it's a little harsh on the NDP. My guess is the private member meant well and sincerely believes it's the right thing and that there is no political play going on here as such. i still disagree with him though.

It's intereesting though that the first attempt to pass such as bill was by a Reform party member. Just shows how we can't pidgeon hole ideologies so easily.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think they should be able to say "I am no longer a Conservative" or "I am no longer an NDP" but they should not be able to join another party without a bi-election. They should be allowed to serve the remainder of their term as an independent.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I suppose it makes sense, when you say it's a betrayal of those who voted for you.

On the other hand, this brings up the idea that someone who voted for an MP who didn't win the election should not be allowed to ask the MP for assistance, since that would be a betrayal of the person you voted for.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Are you only considered a constituent, if you backed the winner?

I don't know; some people are suggesting that an MP can't change party because it would 'betray those who voted for him', so it only seems fair that those who vote can't betray their choices either.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How would they know who you actually voted for?
I suspect some people wear blue, red or orange jackets.

I don't know; some people are suggesting that an MP can't change party because it would 'betray those who voted for him', so it only seems fair that those who vote can't betray their choices either.
I might agree, if an elected officials job wasn't to represent the electorate full stop.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I might agree, if an elected officials job wasn't to represent the electorate full stop.

They are, but would they have been elected if they had crossed the floor prior to that?

It should be banned, most politicians that cross the floor do so for purely selfish reasons and their constituents is the last thing on their mind.