Canadian Postal Union Fights On

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Canadian Postal Union Fights On

http://www.cupw.ca/index.cfm?ci_id=13655&la_id=1

When it comes to the Canadian postal union it is not over until the contract is signed and according to the article it looks like a longer fight.

OTTAWA – The Canadian Union of Postal Workers has scored a significant victory in its fight against the Harper government’s treatment of postal workers.

In a decision handed down October 20th in the Federal Court, Judge Luc Martineau ordered a stay of proceedings relating to the Harper government’s back-to-work legislation (Bill C-6) against thousands of locked-out postal workers in June. The arbitration will now stop until the union’s challenge of the government’s hand-picked arbitrator can be heard in January 2012.

“This decision shows that the union is on the right track. We are questioning the process by which this government has forced its will on postal workers,” said Denis Lemelin, CUPW National President and chief negotiator.

Members of CUPW’s urban unit went on rotating strike in June and were subsequently locked out by Canada Post, then legislated back to work. The union has also launched a separate constitutional challenge against the back-to-work legislation itself, which directs the arbitrator to pick one side only without any possibility of compromise.

The Martineau decision bolsters the union’s objection to Minister of Labour Lisa Raitt’s appointment of Anthony Arthur Coulter Osborne - a unilingual judge without any previous experience in labour relations - to preside over the arbitration. The merits of the union's case will be argued in January.
Normally, arbitrators are agreed upon by the parties, rather than being imposed by the government. Observers have noted the importance of CUPW’s challenges for the future of labour relations in Canada

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The source of this article seems to come from the CUPW. I kind of doubt they would be reporting how they are losing the battle.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The source of this article seems to come from the CUPW. I kind of doubt they would be reporting how they are losing the battle.

/thread

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Well, here it is from both horses' mouths:
Canada Post decried a Federal Court decision Friday that will delay the arbitration of an ongoing labour dispute between the company and its union.

The court stayed proceedings until after a challenge to the government's back-to-work legislation is heard in January of next year.

"This decision further delays any conclusion to the current round of arbitration with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers to the long-term detriment of the company," Canada Post said in the statement. "Urgent action is required to address Canada Post's labour cost structure in order to help protect the long-term sustainability of the corporation."
However the union called the judge's ruling a victory for the workers it represents.
Court decision on Canada Post labour dispute delayed

Canada Post isn't calling this decision a victory...and the outcome will very much depend on what happens with the court challenges.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Due to the fact that binding arbitration usually goes in favor of the workers I'm not sure I see the reason to celebrate in the streets. They still cannot strike and are delaying the inevitable, which actually benefits them.

The guys who should be celebrating are the lawyers.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Due to the fact that binding arbitration usually goes in favor of the workers I'm not sure I see the reason to celebrate in the streets

But not necessarily in this case where the arbitrator has to decide either in Canada Post’s final offer or CUPW’s counter demands of the final offer that is one or the other.

In a regular binding arbitration both company and union would be winners because part of the demands and part of the offer would make up the new contract but in this case it can’t.

In binding arbitrations both side have to agree on the arbitrator to decide the contract and this person would have extensive experience in labour relations but the government appointed one in this case does not.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The Canadian postal system does not rely on the public purse but the public purse sure gets a lot of money from the postal system.

It is not a matter of relying on the public purse which in fact they do since all of us taxpayers are forced by law to use CP. More about a greedy government union holding taxpayers hostage with their excessive demands.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It is not a matter of relying on the public purse which in fact they do since all of us taxpayers are forced by law to use CP. More about a greedy government union holding taxpayers hostage with their excessive demands.

If you followed the issue, they were legislated back to work, so they didn't hold the taxpayers hostage for long.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
If you followed the issue, they were legislated back to work, so they didn't hold the taxpayers hostage for long.

They hold us hostage every day simply because there is legislation that says only Canada Post can deliver mail.

Otherwise they would be getting the $12/hr their job is worth.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

But not necessarily in this case where the arbitrator has to decide either in Canada Post’s final offer or CUPW’s counter demands of the final offer that is one or the other.

In a regular binding arbitration both company and union would be winners because part of the demands and part of the offer would make up the new contract but in this case it can’t.

In binding arbitrations both side have to agree on the arbitrator to decide the contract and this person would have extensive experience in labour relations but the government appointed one in this case does not.

Historically binding arbitration falls in favor of the worker and you offer little in the way of evidence to counter this. As I said, the Union and Government Lawyers are making a killing.

[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Retired_Can_Soldier;1493769[COLOR=DarkOrange said:
]Historically binding arbitration falls in favor of the worker and you offer little in the way of evidence to counter this. As I said, the Union and Government Lawyers are making a killing.

[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

Is that what you were after?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Documents yes but there is a law saying that only Canada Post can deliver letters and some other mail. Can't remember all of it and I don't have time to hunt for the legislation.

We send business letters at work through FedEx all the time, there's a large stack of envelopes and stickers for shipping in our office supplies ...

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Documents yes but there is a law saying that only Canada Post can deliver letters and some other mail. Can't remember all of it and I don't have time to hunt for the legislation.

I think the law is that no other company may undercut the rates of the post office. If the post office decided tomorrow that a letter would cost $5 to mail to Vancouver and FedEx was charging $3, they would have to start charging $5.