Energy drinks to be sold in pharmacy to adults only

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
New energy drink rules expected

Federal Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq will be announcing new rules for so-called energy drinks this morning.

The drinks were the subject of a panel of experts who convened to examine the dangers of caffeine-loaded beverages, and advise the government on how to better control them.

"Many of these newer 'energy' drinks are, in reality, oral delivery systems for stimulant drugs such as caffeine," their report says.

The panel, however, recommended that the energy drinks in question be sold to adults only, and from behind the pharmacists' counter at drug stores. It also said the beverages should be labelled "stimulant drug-containing drinks."

And it recommended the government make an effort to differentiate caffeine-laden drinks from sports drinks such as Gatorade and other electrolyte-replacement beverages that are considered safe for children.

The caffeinated energy drinks have taken off in recent years, with various brands multiplying on store shelves. Health Canada has estimated that about seven million of them are consumed every month in Canada.

They usually contain about the same amount of caffeine as a couple of cups of coffee, but the effects on teenagers, and the effects of the drinks when mixed with alcohol, have not been properly explored, the panel said.

The drinks need to be considered a drug, not a food, the report urged.

New energy drink rules expected - Canada - CBC News

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'm surprised that the conservatives are coming down hard on this. I thought this sort of nanny regulation was supposed to be NDP territory.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
These 'energy drinks' have caused seizures, comas, and even cardiac events. They have left people suffering amnesia, left people with permanent heart damage, and even left some dead. As a synthesized substance, the government is responsible for making sure it is either safe, or controlled, and since these are not safe, they are left with no choice but to place regulations on them.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
These 'energy drinks' have caused seizures, comas, and even cardiac events. They have left people suffering amnesia, left people with permanent heart damage, and even left some dead. As a synthesized substance, the government is responsible for making sure it is either safe, or controlled, and since these are not safe, they are left with no choice but to place regulations on them.

This is a bit of fluff.

How much have people been drinking?

How do these drinks compare to other caffeinated beverages?

What are the rates of seizures? comas? cardiac events?

Are people aware of what they are drinking?

There needs to be more research. We shouldn't inhibit freedoms without a solid foundation.

Anyway, this makes me feel like getting a red bull now.

l8rs

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
It's very popular with the kids mixed with alcohol,there's a reason bars sell it seperatly and not as a mixed drink....lawsuits!

In fot mac lots of the kids party all night and then drink close to a dozen red bulls during the day.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This is a bit of fluff.

How much have people been drinking?

How do these drinks compare to other caffeinated beverages?

What are the rates of seizures? comas? cardiac events?

Are people aware of what they are drinking?

There needs to be more research. We shouldn't inhibit freedoms without a solid foundation.

Anyway, this makes me feel like getting a red bull now.

l8rs

Just because you're not aware of the research doesn't mean it hasn't been done.
Report: Energy drinks can be dangerous for teens - Health - Children's health - msnbc.com

Seriously, snoop around on Google, it doesn't take much to turn up info surrounding their dangers. One acquaintance here had her husband end up in a coma for a month, lose fully six months of his memory, all because of a seizure the doc blame on the guarana in his first and last energy drink.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Then what's your issue?

That it doesn't matter if it's mildly dangerous.

I'm about halfway through mine now. Should start spazzing out soon.

I'll bust out the ID for another in a couple months after I get my Ruger .45

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That it doesn't matter if it's mildly dangerous.

I'm about halfway through mine now. Should start spazzing out soon.

I'll bust out the ID for another in a couple months after I get my Ruger .45

yeah it does matter if its 'mildly dangerous' nature can cause death. If it were a pill we'd expect the exact same precautions taken, but because they put all that pill goodness in a cough syrup flavoured base and brainwashed you into drinking it, you really think it should escape the same regulations?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
yeah it does matter if its 'mildly dangerous' nature can cause death. If it were a pill we'd expect the exact same precautions taken, but because they put all that pill goodness in a cough syrup flavoured base and brainwashed you into drinking it, you really think it should escape the same regulations?

So are you willing to hold uphold that regulation to coffee as well?

A 10oz coffee at Tim Horton's has 100mg of caffeine (sourced in their nutrition guide on their website).

An 8.5 oz Redbull has 80mg of caffeine (off the can), which is 95mg/10 ounces.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If Tim Horton's adds caffeine, or any other chemical or synthetic ingredients, then yes they should be up for the same reviews. if they are simply quantifying a naturally occurring chemical in a natural product, then no.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If Tim Horton's adds caffeine, or any other chemical or synthetic ingredients, then yes they should be up for the same reviews. if they are simply quantifying a naturally occurring chemical in a natural product, then no.
Fat in cream kills, sugar kills, caffeine kills. Tim's is a death trap.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Without getting too crazy here.. The medicinal ingredients in this lovely can next to me include:

1000 mg. of taurine
600 mg. glucuronolactone
18 mg. of niacine

Here's what we know about each..

Taurine is regularly used as an ingredient in energy drinks, with many containing 1000 mg per serving,[11] and some as much as 2000 mg.[12] A 2003 study by the European Food Safety Authority found no adverse effects for up to 1,000 mg of taurine per kilogram of body weight per day.[13]

Taurine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Glucuronolactone is a naturally occurring chemical that is an important structural component of nearly all connective tissues.[1] Glucuronolactone is also found in many plant gums.[1]

Glucuronolactone is a popular ingredient in energy drinks with claims that it detoxifies the body. Although levels of glucuronolactone in energy drinks can far exceed those found in the rest of the diet, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has concluded that exposure to glucuronolactone from regular consumption of energy drinks is not a safety concern. The no observable adverse effect level of glucuronolactone is 1000 mg/kg/day.

Glucuronolactone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Niacin
(also known as vitamin B3, nicotinic acid and vitamin PP) is an organic compound with the formula C6H5NO2 and, depending on the definition used, one of the forty to eighty essential human nutrients

Pharmacological doses of niacin (1.5 - 6 g per day) occasionally lead to side effects that can include dermatological conditions such as skin flushing and itching, dry skin, and skin rashes including eczema exacerbation and acanthosis nigricans. Although high doses of niacin may elevate blood sugar, thereby worsening diabetes mellitus,[18] recent studies show the actual effect on blood sugar to be only 5–10%.

Niacin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are obviously varying degrees of harm in everything. These drinks are harmless unless they are consumed in excess. In fact, they are less dangerous than coffee and much less dangerous than guns.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If Red Bull were the only energy drink on the market you might have a case. It's not. There are a plethora of products with a host of different stimulants in them. Red Bull is one of the 'cleanest'.... Monster has one of the worst reputations for seizures. It's become an industry that needs either better regulations, or restrictions.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
If Red Bull were the only energy drink on the market you might have a case. It's not. There are a plethora of products with a host of different stimulants in them. Red Bull is one of the 'cleanest'.... Monster has one of the worst reputations for seizures. It's become an industry that needs either better regulations, or restrictions.

I will agree for the case that private corporations should alter they're ingredient list if they are proven to be significantly dangerous at reasonable dosages.

I will not agree to put all energy drinks behind a pharmaceutical counter as that is without a doubt, excessive regulation. And a particularly hilarious move for a government that wants to remove restrictions on gun legislation. :p

Need energy? Eat a banana.

I already did. :)

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
So now every time I walk into London Drugs some kid is going ask me at the door "Psst! Can you buy me some Red Bulls?". We don't need this kind of regulation, we need to better educate parents about the minute danger so they can decide if it's a danger to their kid(maybe Johnny has a heart condition), and from there forbid their kids from having them if they so wish.

Personal responsibility good.
Big government bad.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Personal responsibility good.
Big government bad.

This is an expression that I admire (as I'm partly libertarian), but we should also keep in mind that freedom is not black and white. There are gradients of freedom, and sometimes we truly are better off with some nanny. But I usually allow those protocols when they legitimately protect us from significant harm.

In this case I think the government is going too far.