Jim Flaherty is a misleading and despicable hypocrite, likely evil.

Nationhood

Sep 30, 2011
Link: Flaherty says Ontario can't afford more McGuinty | News | Ontario Votes | More | Toronto Sun

Jim Flaherty denounces the McGuinty Liberals for increased spending and increased debt, yet he shares very much the same situation, but worse. He's a despicable hypocrite who will say what he will to further push the conservatives into success.

Under the Federal Conservatives, the debt has reached record levels: Deficit hits record $55.6B, Flaherty says - Business - CBC News . As stated by Jim Flaherty himself, why hasn't he promptly resigned, as the same criteria for why McGuinty should go, he falls under?

Tory spending hardly conservative | Canada | News | Toronto Sun Yes, that's right, under the Conservatives, spending has actually increased.

The Liberals and Conservatives actually have a lot in common. I mean, the HST was the result of an agreement between the Feds and Ontario, but these things should be disregarded. The Conservatives don't want you to be informed, because being informed would draw you to the natural logical conclusion that they're malicious liars. They don't want you to care too much. Facts can largely be anathema to them.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
YAWN!

Talk to me in 3 1/2 years.....

BTW, you might not have noticed, but the PEOPLE prefer Mr. Harper and Mr. Flaherty over any other leader and party.....by a large margin.

You lose.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
"Likely Evil"? You know whatever follows that title will be objective...

I couldn't even type that with a straight face.

Nationhood

Sep 30, 2011
Disgustingly dismissive, CDNbear and Colpy. It's not as if the substance of the post is opinion. The substance of the post is Flaherty is a hypocrite who is ignoring - intentionally - his own current history in his government.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
YAWN!

Talk to me in 3 1/2 years.....

BTW, you might not have noticed, but the PEOPLE prefer Mr. Harper and Mr. Flaherty over any other leader and party.....by a large margin.

You lose.

Uh huh, and the people of BC preferred campbell and his band of crooks to begin with too. Just took them a while to finally open their eyes. Eventually Canadians will see harper and his stooges for what they are.

Nationhood

Sep 30, 2011
Don't concede he's evil, fine. If he's not even, then he's a completely moron who is apparently ignorant of the situation of the government he happens to be functioning in. I find it more likely that this is malicious opportunism to help get ideological buddies in power.

I think he's smarter than that. This is a move that follows the narrative of Canadians are best off misinformed to the Conservatives.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Disgustingly dismissive, CDNbear and Colpy.
I would apologize, if your title wasn't absurd. Making anything that followed it not worth discussing with you.

It's not as if the substance of the post is opinion.
True, but it's also fact that when trying to discuss any topic with idiotic ideologues, it's a lesson in efforts in futility.

The substance of the post is Flaherty is a hypocrite who is ignoring - intentionally - his own current history in his government.
I'd agree, if you weren't ignoring the other party's insistence in it.

Eventually Canadians will see harper and his stooges for what they are.
What? An example of a group of typical politicians?

Don't concede he's evil, fine.
I'm not prone to such asinine emotionality.

If he's not even, then he's a completely moron who is apparently ignorant of the situation of the government he happens to be functioning in.
Probably not as ignorant as you are to the fact that the Harper conservatives have spent, just like the other party's demanded.

I find it more likely that this is malicious opportunism to help get ideological buddies in power.
Really? You find?

Of course it that's what he's doing.

I think he's smarter than that.
Isn't that sweet. So much for him being a moron then.

This is a move that follows the narrative of Canadians are best off misinformed to the Conservatives.
Misinformed? Ill informed, ideologically blinded, whatever. I like you, yer funny as hell.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Of course spending would increase in a global economic crisis.

I am probably the only one to think this but Mulroney, Chretien and Harper have all done outstanding jobs with fiscal management. We should thank our lucky stars we're in the position we're in now. It's no accident that we look pretty good in the eyes of most other countries.

Nationhood

Sep 30, 2011
I would apologize, if your title wasn't absurd. Making anything that followed it not worth discussing with you.
No, that's just disgusting dismissiveness. If you cared for a discussion - beyond opportunistic attacks (which you're skilled at, from a superficial look at much of your other posts) - you would actually discuss it. You take problems with the title, okay, that's something to note and flesh out, fine.

I called him evil because I'm tired of feigning as if it's only mass stupidity the Conservatives and other politicians suffer from. I can't accept that, purely. Certainly, stupidity and evil go hand in hand, but this is decisively "stupid" - malicious. This is almost worse than a direct lie, as the intent is to mislead to help their (apparent) buddies get more power in Ontario, and it completely ignores his own record. Seriously, do you think Flaherty is that dumb? Do you - at least - agree that this is a decisive misleading announcement, hoping that Canadians aren't informed enough to call him a hypocrite? Now, if you agree with that, what would you call it? Would you at least say that's harmful to public discourse, and Canadian health and understanding?

Notice how I'm recognizing what you had to say - to some extent.

Probably not as ignorant as you are to the fact that the Harper conservatives have spent, just like the other party's demanded.
Aye, but the thing is, the Conservatives and Steven Harper are actually taking credit for the Economic Action Plan. They didn't - and are still not - grudgingly dishing out the money for the economy. They wear it like a badge, just see their platform.

"The next phase of our Economic Action Plan will guide us through the recovery. " Italics and underlines added by me, to emphasize the fact they're owning it, in their own platform.

Conservative Government Ahem... Jim Flaherty - the man himself - praising it.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
If you cared for a discussion - beyond opportunistic attacks (which you're skilled at, from a superficial look at much of your other posts) - you would actually discuss it. You take problems with the title, okay, that's something to note and flesh out, fine.

You want a discussion? Perhaps you should engage the conversation by 86-ing the immediate bias and selectivity in your 'proof'.

What you have offered in the OP is simply an attack devoid of any contextual relevance. You're upset about the deficit, the debt and spending.... Here's the 411 for ya - We're in the middle of a global financial meltdown that observes almost every nation going through the identical situation as Canada.

As one poster pointed out, Canada is in a much stronger position than most other nations, but for you, that fact is meaningless as it doesn't fit with your preconceived ideas about Flaherty and the Conservatives.

Nationhood

Sep 30, 2011
You're upset about the deficit, the debt and spending
I don't recall saying that or even suggesting that. I'll give you some clarification, though: that's not the issue I take with this post. I did not post to complain about spending, taxation or the deficit. This just illustrates the blantant hypocrisy of Jim Flaherty.

As one poster pointed out, Canada is in a much stronger position than most other nations, but for you, that fact is meaningless as it doesn't fit with your preconceived ideas about Flaherty and the Conservatives.
Sorry, you're attacking me over a point I've never made. I hope you understand that I wasn't attacking the state of the Canadian economy, but pointing out the contradictory doubletalk from Mr. Flaherty.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I don't recall saying that or even suggesting that. I'll give you some clarification, though: that's not the issue I take with this post. I did not post to complain about spending, taxation or the deficit. This just illustrates the blantant hypocrisy of Jim Flaherty.

That was my interpretation from the OP

Sorry, you're attacking me over a point I've never made. I hope you understand that I wasn't attacking the state of the Canadian economy, but pointing out the contradictory doubletalk from Mr. Flaherty.

The point is entirely relevant. If you want to take a kick at Harper et al. and invoke their track record, then expect to be challenged on it.

As for Flaherty - he's a politician... You can always tell when a politician is lying by simply looking to see if their lips are moving. This circumstance is not limited to Flaherty.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No, that's just disgusting dismissiveness.
Because so far, based on what you've offered, it's all you're worth.

If you cared for a discussion - beyond opportunistic attacks (which you're skilled at, from a superficial look at much of your other posts) - you would actually discuss it.
If I thought you were capable.

(which you're skilled at, from a superficial look at much of your other posts)
Yes, I already took notice of your special interest in me. I'm flattered.

You take problems with the title, okay, that's something to note and flesh out, fine.
The title isn't your only issue, just a symptom.

I called him evil because I'm tired of feigning as if it's only mass stupidity the Conservatives and other politicians suffer from.
I'm not buying your facade of objectivity.

I can't accept that, purely. Certainly, stupidity and evil go hand in hand, but this is decisively "stupid" - malicious.
Stupid does not go hand in hand with 'evil' nor malicious. Hell, if someone was proven stupid, you would have proven lack of intent, and therefore unable to prove maliciousness.
This is almost worse than a direct lie, as the intent is to mislead to help their (apparent) buddies get more power in Ontario, and it completely ignores his own record.
What record? The one the other party's demanded and supported?

Seriously, do you think Flaherty is that dumb? Do you - at least - agree that this is a decisive misleading announcement, hoping that Canadians aren't informed enough to call him a hypocrite?
To call him a hypocrite on this issue would be to prove you are uninformed, misled, ill informed or an idiot. Flaherty's spending was prompted by and supported by the opposition party's in Ottawa. McGuinty's was not promted by nor supported by the opposition in Ontario.

Now, if you agree with that, what would you call it? Would you at least say that's harmful to public discourse, and Canadian health and understanding?
Only if you filter everything through an ideological filter. And your proving this to be a waste of time.

Notice how I'm recognizing what you had to say - to some extent.
No, because you didn't.

Aye, but the thing is, the Conservatives and Steven Harper are actually taking credit for the Economic Action Plan.
Of course they are. The fact that it was their budget, aside. That's a common occurrence in politics.

They didn't - and are still not - grudgingly dishing out the money for the economy.
Didn't? Grudgingly? They are, and it's almost criminal how easy it is to get funding through Canada Action Plan.

They wear it like a badge, just see their platform.
As they should. If they're going to take the heat from ideologues that haven't the minor capability of recognizing the differences between what has happened in Ottawa and Queens Park. They should at least be able to take some credit too.

"The next phase of our Economic Action Plan will guide us through the recovery. " Italics and underlines added by me, to emphasize the fact they're owning it, in their own platform.
And your point?
Conservative Government Ahem... Jim Flaherty - the man himself - praising it.
As he should, I praise Canada Action Plan, it's putting food on my table. I'm having homemade Swiss Chalet tonight, SCB's is better than the real deal.

I hope you understand that I wasn't attacking the state of the Canadian economy, but pointing out the contradictory doubletalk from Mr. Flaherty.
Not to sidetrack the conversation, but if hypocrisy is bad, stupid, evil and malicious, then all those that turn a blind eye to the monumental difference between Palestine and Israel, in favour of Palestine. Are bad, stupid, evil and malicious.

Nationhood

Sep 30, 2011
To call him a hypocrite on this issue would be to prove you are uninformed, misled, ill informed or an idiot. Flaherty's spending was prompted by and supported by the opposition party's in Ottawa. McGuinty's was not promted by nor supported by the opposition in Ontario.
The distinction you make between the context of increased spending federally and provincially is valid. But again, the Conservatives embrace it, praise it and own it. It may not be their sole invention, but they're certainly behaving like it's a good thing. They're proud of this spending, they're proud it's happening under them. Flaherty is even openly proud of this increased spending.

Then he goes and criticizes McGuinty for spending during a recession, even though he's simultaneously proud that the Federal government is spending more, too. He also criticizes McGuinty for incurring a deficit, even though his government has done the exact same. To not see this as obviously hypocrisy is quite foolish.

The point is entirely relevant. If you want to take a kick at Harper et al. and invoke their track record, then expect to be challenged on it.
Except you didn't challenge any of the facts I presented. You challenged an imaginary conflict. I'll reiterate: you're not contesting any point I've made.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I called him evil because I'm tired of feigning as if it's only mass stupidity the Conservatives and other politicians suffer from. I can't accept that, purely. Certainly, stupidity and evil go hand in hand, but this is decisively "stupid" - malicious. This is almost worse than a direct lie, as the intent is to mislead to help their (apparent) buddies get more power in Ontario, and it completely ignores his own record. Seriously, do you think Flaherty is that dumb? Do you - at least - agree that this is a decisive misleading announcement, hoping that Canadians aren't informed enough to call him a hypocrite? Now, if you agree with that, what would you call it? Would you at least say that's harmful to public discourse, and Canadian health and understanding?

So you have come to the conclusion that stupid people are also evil - And how in Fuk do you consider this statement to be in any way logical.

Nationhood

Sep 30, 2011
So you have come to the conclusion that stupid people are also evil - And how if Fuk do you consider this statement to be in any way logical.
You're right, what you underlined doesn't make sense. I didn't mean to say stupid equals evil, or stupid people are evil. That would be silly, of course.

What I meant, but didn't get across clearly or correctly, is that evil typically requires stupidity. When it comes to malicious, stupidity likely goes hand in hand with it.

I erred, so I hope this clears things up.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
You're right, what you underlined doesn't make sense. I didn't mean to say stupid equals evil, or stupid people are evil. That would be silly, of course.

What I meant, but didn't get across clearly or correctly, is that evil typically requires stupidity. When it comes to malicious, stupidity likely goes hand in hand with it.

Cubert? No wait.... Avro?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

No it doesn't - I consider some posters here to be real fukin stupid - these usual suspects are also supporters of evil - So in some cases you are correct -

Now - Hitler was evil - and he was not stupid -

Mao was evil - He was not dumb -

Lots of smart evil bastrxds out there.

But here on CC we are blessed with the Really Fukin Dumb Ones