Cbc propaganda tool returns

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Vote Compass returns for Ontario election
Online tool generated more than a million responses during federal election

An enhanced version of Vote Compass, CBC’s online election issues survey that proved popular with voters during the federal election, is back in time for Ontario’s provincial election on Oct. 6. Returning to CBC.ca today, Vote Compass uses an online questionnaire to compare a user’s political views to the platforms of the major political parties.

“If you aren't sure where you stand or whether a party you've long supported shares your view, Vote Compass is a good way to start your investigation,” said Peter Loewen, a political science professor at the University of Toronto (Mississauga), who led the team of academics that developed the tool. “It’s a really fun way to engage in politics.”

Vote Compass generated some two million responses during this spring's federal election. The version for the Ontario election operates in a similar way, with some new tools to understand your results.

Users anonymously answer 30 questions covering a full spectrum of Ontario issues chosen by the academics, from the role of private industry in health care to whether or not abortions should be more freely available.

For each question or statement there are six responses that range from strong agreement or support for a position to strong disagreement or opposition. Based on the responses to the questionnaire, Vote Compass plots the user on a grid that offers a visual comparison to the positions of Ontario’s four major political parties. The grid consists of a horizontal axis depicting “economic left versus economic right” and “social liberalism versus social conservatism” on the vertical axis.

A shaded grey area around the dot that represents the user’s position varies in size and shape. Consistent responses will generate a small shaded area, while responses that are more varied will appear as a much wider area. The idea is to show users how ideologically consistent their political views are and how their views are – and how their views can bring them into proximity with one or more parties.

Users can rank party leaders

In a new feature for the Ontario election, Vote Compass will also express — in a percentage — how often the users’ responses agreed with the platforms of each major political party. Users can also rate each party leader.

Loewen said Vote Compass ultimately offers voters a new way to discuss and engage in politics.

“It’s really a democratic engagement tool,” he said. “It gives people another metric to understand their relationship with each party. It’s like a portal into the election.”

Also added to Vote Compass since May’s federal election is the ability for each user to enhance their results by weighting the importance of each of their 30 responses.

“It allows voters to express, in a more precise way, what they think is important,” said Loewen.

The intention of Vote Compass is not to tell voters how to cast their ballot on Oct. 6, Loewen added. Instead, it is aimed at getting people to think about what issues are important to them, and providing voters with the parties’ specific positions on those issues.

With all the mixed messages, angry campaign ads and heated rhetoric that often comes with an election, Loewen said voters often struggle to weigh their views against each party’s policies.

“So much of electioneering ends up being about personalities,” said Loewen. “But this allows people to think past the personalities and really examine the policies. Someone said, ‘This helped me and my wife start a discussion about politics.’”

Loewen adds many users are surprised by their Vote Compass results.

Vote Compass returns for Ontario election - Windsor - CBC News

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I am so glad the CBC has this. Now I won't have to inform myself about any issues or research any canidates. The CBC can tell me where to put my X.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I took it this morning. Told me to vote Liberal, which is a move to the right for me. During the federal election they put me right between the Greens and the Bloc.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Put me further left of the NDP, but I'm still debating between the Libs and NDP this time around.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
I would rather have my tax dollar wasted in CBC, just to watch SUN News continuously cry about how CBC is better than they are. So amusing.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I would rather have my tax dollar wasted in CBC, just to watch SUN News continuously cry about how CBC is better than they are. So amusing.

This is the reason that God (or Sony or LG depending on your belief system and/or TV manufacturer) put 2 controls on your television set:

1) An on/off selector. You can use it when you just don't want to watch something.
2) A channel changer. Most modern new fangled TVs are capably of receiving many channels some of which may or may not be to your liking. You are always welcome to change the channel.

If one or both of these buttons are broken, there is another device in your home --- the telephone -- which can be used to call a TV reparment to fix these buttons.

Nationhood

Sep 30, 2011
Ironically, the company that owns Sun Media - Quebecor - is applying for government subsidies. I love the irony so much.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Quick!!! Look over there >>>>

We are not discussing the CBC and its propaganda tool.

Really, we aren't.

Nationhood

Sep 30, 2011
Well, maybe because it isn't a propaganda tool. Use it, and put in typically conservative responses. Yeah... it'll place you in the conservative area. There's no conspiracy here. But don't take my word for it, try it yourself.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well, maybe because it isn't a propaganda tool. Use it, and put in typically conservative responses. Yeah... it'll place you in the conservative area. There's no conspiracy here. But don't take my word for it, try it yourself.
I did try it, it told me I was a Liberal.

Nationhood

Sep 30, 2011
Odd, because I just did it and it put me ever farther right than the PCs. I guess it suddenly switched to support the Progressive Conservatives a couple seconds ago. The conspiracy lives on.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Did you feel like you needed a shower afterward?
More like sand blasted and dipped in bleach.

Odd, because I just did it and it put me ever farther right than the PCs. I guess it suddenly switched to support the Progressive Conservatives a couple seconds ago. The conspiracy lives on.
Oh, I didn't try and mess with it, I just answered the questions honestly.

Which makes it real funny, since I sit decidedly further left than the average dyed in the wool Liberal.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I just tried it and it told me what I already knew. I'm a centerist but economically right and socially conservative.