Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Ezra Levant vs. The CBC, Ezra Ventures Into The Belly Of The Beast! - YouTube

It's Sun News!

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
If we're going to pretend like this will be a rationale and civil thread (lol).. obviously free speech is important and journalists should be able to criticize any news outlet. The problem lies, then, in how that message is delivered.

To be fair, I cannot speak for the CBC's security measures and whether or not they were actually reasonable or even lawful in this instance.

That said, there is clearly a stark difference between the interaction of Levant and security and say, for example, the interaction between G20 protestors in Toronto vs. the de facto military that was set up to kettle people in there. I hope Levant would be just as vociferous in defending their freedom of speech and not simply his his own, privileged version.

It would be pretty near sighted, in my opinion, to prance around untouched and armed with cameras; being able to edit out clips to your liking and denouncing this oppression of free speach -- and then, in the same fell swoop, apologize for the militant oppression of every day people (like you and me) when our right to a peaceful protest is removed.

That said, Levant makes a good case for freedom of speech and the press, but just as Glenn Beck has shown.. If you're going to be a complete douchebag about it, expect some natural resistance. Also, he used this little dog and pony show as an anchor for the partisan banter that took place between himself and Ottawa Guy in order to push the privatization agenda (big surprise).

That hardly qualifies as fair and balanced journalism, but it also depends on whether you consider this clip as a news piece or simply entertainment.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
If we're going to pretend like this will be a rationale and civil thread (lol).. obviously free speech is important and journalists should be able to criticize any news outlet. The problem lies, then, in how that message is delivered.

To be fair, I cannot speak for the CBC's security measures and whether or not they were actually reasonable or even lawful in this instance.

That said, there is clearly a stark difference between the interaction of Levant and security and say, for example, the interaction between G20 protestors in Toronto vs. the de facto military that was set up to kettle people in there. I hope Levant would be just as vociferous in defending their freedom of speech and not simply his his own, privileged version.

It would be pretty near sighted, in my opinion, to prance around untouched and armed with cameras; being able to edit out clips to your liking and denouncing this oppression of free speach -- and then, in the same fell swoop, apologize for the militant oppression of every day people (like you and me) when our right to a peaceful protest is removed.

That said, Levant makes a good case for freedom of speech and the press, but just as Glenn Beck has shown.. If you're going to be a complete douchebag about it, expect some natural resistance. Also, he used this little dog and pony show as an anchor for the partisan banter that took place between himself and Ottawa Guy in order to push the privatization agenda (big surprise).

That hardly qualifies as fair and balanced journalism, but it also depends on whether you consider this clip as a news piece or simply entertainment.

Levant is a real defender of free speech, as he has proven repeatedly.......by standing up and publishing the Mohammed cartoons in the Western Standard when no one else in this country, and very few others in the world would. His reaction to the Alberta HRC, which you can find on Youtube, is a classic example of speaking truth to power. He has spoken to committee on Parliament Hill on the subject. That he is not only defending free speech himself or those that agree with him has been aptly demonstrated by his defense of neo-Nazi websites, put up by people that would see him gassed. (He is a Jew)

Ezra is a grandstander, fond of over-the-top theatrics......but his credentials in the battle for free speech are beyond reproach.

As for the CBC, well.......they have 1.2 billion dollars a year of our money......which they use to broadcast a particular world view and political philosophy. Witness just in the last month the CBC refusing to broadcast pictures of illegal immigrants wanted for crimes, their labeling of the Jewish Defense League as a "terrorist" organization, their tepid and obscure apology for same when faced with a lawsuit, their labeling of Jerusalem as "a city in Palestine".....well, you get the idea.

That Ezra dances in the front halls of the Ministry of Truth bothers me not a bit.

Now, I suppose I should go actually watch the vid..... :)

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Levant is a real defender of free speech, as he has proven repeatedly.......by standing up and publishing the Mohammed cartoons in the Western Standard when no one else in this country, and very few others in the world would. His reaction to the Alberta HRC, which you can find on Youtube, is a classic example of speaking truth to power. He has spoken to committee on Parliament Hill on the subject. That he is not only defending free speech himself or those that agree with him has been aptly demonstrated by his defense of neo-Nazi websites, put up by people that would see him gassed. (He is a Jew)

Ezra is a grandstander, fond of over-the-top theatrics......but his credentials in the battle for free speech are beyond reproach.

Meh.

It's sensationalism. The guy knew he could make a few bucks by pulling some strings. It's not a "win" for freedom of speech unless you really care about that strain that allows you to be a douchebag.

It's pretty hilarious though.

People like you actually believe he's enhanced their own freedoms because he insulted some Muslims.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
As for the CBC, well.......they have 1.2 billion dollars a year of our money......which they use to broadcast a particular world view and political philosophy.

Yep, two sides of the same coin.

It's funny to watch them interact.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yep, two sides of the same coin.

It's funny to watch them interact.

Keep in mind the whole funding thing has already been shown to be farcical because the CBC actually provides a considerable profit.

Now I can see how the CBC has subtle and nuanced language that may favour the left, but then it also seems really minor to me.

Are there any notable examples that show them favouring a political philosophy at the sacrifice of unbiased reporting?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Meh.

It's sensationalism. The guy knew he could make a few bucks by pulling some strings. It's not a "win" for freedom of speech unless you really care about that strain that allows you to be a douchebag.

It's pretty hilarious though.

People like you actually believe he's enhanced their own freedoms because he insulted some Muslims.

That the Muslims were insulted simply demonstrates the incompatibility of some of the Muslim population with western values.......

Now, I expect that from the fanatic followers of a cult called "submission" that blindly follows the philosophy of a war mongering pedophile from 1500 years ago. What outrages me is the idiots that grew up in the light of freedom that would force us into the shadows to accomodate the above-mentioned cultists or anyone else..

And YES freedom of speech means the freedom to be a "douchebag".....or it means nothing at all.

Now, all that said, and having watched the video, Ezra needs to do some research. Once one is informed they are trespassing, as he was, they can quite rightfully be removed using "whatever force is necessary". The CBC needs to have a LONG talk with their head of security.....who should not have engaged in debate, but simply informed the boys that they were trespassing on private property, and if they did not leave immediately, they would be forcibly removed. Repeat.

Keep in mind the whole funding thing has already been shown to be farcical because the CBC actually provides a considerable profit.

Got a link????

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
And YES freedom of speech means the freedom to be a "douchebag".....or it means nothing at all.

My point is that his schtick could eventually wear thin and people might not care anymore. Same thing happened to Glenn Beck - and looking back, people saw through him as a puppet for the network. He wasn't a bastion of freedom of speech because he didn't actually produce anything beyond entertainment.

If Ezra was serious about defending free speech, then he should find creative ways to defend peaceful protests. You know, the kind of protests that typically go against his conservative leanings. I highly doubt he would do that though, because he doesn't have the balls for it. :)

Now, all that said, and having watched the video, Ezra needs to do some research.

Ya think?

Nevermind the fact that that clip was cut and spliced so many times that your bull**** meter should be deafening by this point.

TV cuts and tricks of the trade.

Got a link????

http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/about/Economic-Impact-Deloitte.pdf

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
It would seem to me that all CBC had to do is just talk to Levant just as he requested. I fail to see what the CBC has to hide. If they are doing things correctly there should be no problem with CBC defending their position. CBC does a lot of interviews using similar tactics.

The fact that CBC refused to talk to Ezra makes me suspicious of what CBC is trying to hide???

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Have any of you ever tuned into a half CBC half CTV station where CBC has had to pick up the slack where CTV has fallen short?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It would seem to me that all CBC had to do is just talk to Levant just as he requested. I fail to see what the CBC has to hide. If they are doing things correctly there should be no problem with CBC defending their position. CBC does a lot of interviews using similar tactics.

The fact that CBC refused to talk to Ezra makes me suspicious of what CBC is trying to hide???

Of course they should have talked to Levant.....they should have accepted his invitation to appear on his show.

That said, he should have been tossed out of the CBC building on his ear, literally.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Of course they should have talked to Levant.....they should have accepted his invitation to appear on his show.

That said, he should have been tossed out of the CBC building on his ear, literally.

Strong words coming from you.

Wish I could respect +10 this post.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Security guards and people on lunch? Yeah you're right. They hold ALL the answers. Regular ****ing sages.

It doesn't surprise it just happened to be lunch and Levant just happened to be in a cafeteria. Where is he going next Sizzler?

Last edited: