F-35 Jets, Corporate Tax Cuts: Key Tory Policies Lack Majority Support, Poll Finds

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
F-35 Jets, Corporate Tax Cuts: Key Tory Policies Lack Majority Support, Poll Finds

A majority of Canadians don't support corporate tax cuts and are opposed to buying the F-35 fighter jets, two major pieces of the Conservative government's plan for the country, a new poll suggests.

In a new poll conducted for CBC News following the May 2 federal election, 53 per cent of people surveyed said they were opposed to dropping the corporate tax rate from 16.5 per cent to 15 per cent. About two-fifths — 39 per cent — agreed with the cut and eight per cent weren't sure.

Just more than half — 52 per cent — said Canada should not go ahead with the purchase of 65 F-35 fighter jets, while 37 per cent polled said the government should buy the planes. Twelve per cent said they didn't know.

Environics polled 2,000 people by phone from May 12 to 22, with a margin of error of plus or minus 2.2 percentage points.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
What does it matter who doesn't support what? It's a majority government and they can sign into policy any bill they can pass through the Senate. If that is to buy planes, end abortion or put religion into a main focus in education they can do it and there is little if anything anyone can do about that until the next election.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What does it matter who doesn't support what? It's a majority government and they can sign into policy any bill they can pass through the Senate. If that is to buy planes, end abortion or put religion into a main focus in education they can do it and there is little if anything anyone can do about that until the next election.
No they can't. ANY Joe Blow Canadian can challenge any bill within 30 days but not many do or know that they can.

If you aren't in constant contact with your MP on things you agree with or disagree with you aren't part of democracy.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
No they can't. ANY Joe Blow Canadian can challenge any bill within 30 days but not many do or know that they can.

If you aren't in constant contact with your MP on things you agree with or disagree with you aren't part of democracy.

Yea, but that means I have to find out who these people are and where their head office is... too much work.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If you have the time to bitch on here you have the time to bitch at your MP and actually participate.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
If you have the time to bitch on here you have the time to bitch at your MP and actually participate.

Do you usually send long-winded letters or e-mails? Or can you just call them up?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

And thank bloody god for that! ;-)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
And thank bloody god for that! ;-)
Your god is bloody? I guess you subscribe to the war god of the desert, eh! The saying used to be "Democracy - tyranny of the majority" but with only 40% of the popular vote, we now have tyranny of a minority. I can see how an ex military type would support that.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Your god is bloody? I guess you subscribe to the war god of the desert, eh! The saying used to be "Democracy - tyranny of the majority" but with only 40% of the popular vote, we now have tyranny of a minority. I can see how an ex military type would support that.

Cue *sour grapes* robot reply.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Do you usually send long-winded letters or e-mails? Or can you just call them up?
My MP knows me quite well after 8 Years. Her office staff greet me on a first name basis when I walk in. I employ multiple sources to get my point across if there is something I want to complain about. 1 phone call and 1 email everyday for a few weeks along with 1 written letter and 1 office visit every week. I have even sat in her office for 6 hours to ensure I saw her personally. I don't even have to remind her anymore that I am her boss, not the PM or her party leader.

It's called participation, far more important than showing your face to vote once every 4-5 years.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Who cares what a poll shows? The simple fact is that the electorate put the Conservatives into a Majority in Parliament, and they will do what they have said that they would do.

The losers will whine, complain and generally make asses of themselves over these issues, to no avail.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Who cares what a poll shows? The simple fact is that the electorate put the Conservatives into a Majority in Parliament, and they will do what they have said that they would do.

The losers will whine, complain and generally make asses of themselves over these issues, to no avail.

I don't think anyone is disputing that they have the ability to be complete douchebags.

It's more about the fact that they are complete douchebags.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The poll results don't differ much from the support the Conservatives received in the election. Not really that surprising.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
A picture is worth

A 1000 words.

Now let's see what this atarts:lol: