G8/G20 police raked in bonuses, OT pay

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

CBC/Radio-Canada has obtained copies of RCMP contracts totalling $7 million for the hiring of 657 officers from 17 different local forces from coast to coast. The invoices detail how over the course of a week or two in June 2010, more than half of all the work performed by those officers was paid for at premium rates of 1½ or two times an officer's usual wages.

One of the most costly examples involves Montreal's police force, which submitted an invoice to the RCMP for 278 officers paid at "double time" for all the work they performed around the Toronto and Huntsville summit sites between June 19 and June 29, at a total cost of $3,342,578.

G8/G20 police raked in bonuses, OT pay - Canada - CBC News

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
whats the big deal? have you ever tried to hire an experienced workforce for 2 weeks to work long hours?

I would say that whom ever kept the costs down to 7 million did an awesome job.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Can't say I blame the police for taking the money. If anyone had offered me an extra 14,000 for putting in extra hours teaching I would certainly have taken it. The blame goes to the higher ups who authorized the overtime in the first place. They must have known what it was going to cost and if they didn't then maybe someone should take a look at their levels of competence.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Can't say I blame the police for taking the money. If anyone had offered me an extra 14,000 for putting in extra hours teaching I would certainly have taken it.

Being bribed to be complete douchebags does put the cops partly at fault though.

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Toronto G20 was a lucrative event for everyone but the people who live in Toronto it appears. I believe the Federal Government is still dragging its feet on compensating local business for lost revenue during the event.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Of course they are. If they didn't want to put on a big show of force and violence they would have held the meeting at a remote resort. It's not like we don't have some incredible fly-in fishing camps with 4 star acccomadations and even hookers if you want one to hold meetings and the whole thing could have been pulled off for a couple hundred grand..

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
14 grand for 10 days work. I'll put on a uniform and beat up peaceful protesters for that, where do I sign?

Insinuating that all the police did that is like saying that all the protesters were peaceful. That would be false in both cases.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Who said the officers got that money?

You don't know much about charge out rates for employees, do you?
Yeah you charge double and double for any costs like paying that employee sub, uniforms, EI, WCB, CPP, health insurance and liability bond ain't cheap for high risk occupations

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Being bribed to be complete douchebags does put the cops partly at fault though.

Possibly, but again, who was responsible for telling the police that the rights of Canadians were suspended during the G20, essentially telling the police that they could act in any manner they desired? Giving any law enforcement officer carte blanche is really asking for trouble.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Possibly, but again, who was responsible for telling the police that the rights of Canadians were suspended during the G20, essentially telling the police that they could act in any manner they desired? Giving any law enforcement officer carte blanche is really asking for trouble.
A very clever lawyer hired by the Feds.

100% of this falls into Ottawa's lap.

You'd have to be a complete and total moron to ever trust them with your rights and freedoms ever again.

The Charter is meaningless after they pulled this.

Precedent is set.

If the Charter is meaningless then we are under a dictatorship.

BTW....you can't get any further LEFT than what Harper did in Toronto.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Who said the officers got that money?
Read the OP. "An officer from Stirling-Rawdon was hired for 10 days. The officer received $2722.80 in regular hours and $11,419.46 in overtime pay."

You don't know much about charge out rates for employees, do you?

Nothing at all. I only run a crew of 14 who are constantly contracted out to oil drillers and well owners. I have never had one guy make $14k in 10 days.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Read the OP. "An officer from Stirling-Rawdon was hired for 10 days. The officer received $2722.80 in regular hours and $11,419.46 in overtime pay."

Nothing at all. I only run a crew of 14 who are constantly contracted out to oil drillers and well owners. I have never had one guy make $14k in 10 days.
I can make that sitting in analytical shack 22km SW of bum**** AB staring into a microscope looking for foraminifers.